Have you heard of the 3 sevens?

time2bslim

Just doing it this time
I talk with my cousin (who is also doing SW) we weigh at different groups - me on Tuesdays and she on Thursdays. This week she was gutted despite following plan to have gained a pound - someone there - or they were discussing in group about the 3 sevens? Is this new?

7 syns a day - 7 drinks a day only - eat 7 times a day on plan for 7 days (I make that 4 7's) - but anyone else heard anything about this?

Gilly x

not heard of that....

Sounds a bit gimmicky but anything that makes a change and works must be worth trying. Dont understand the 7 drinks bit though....unless they mean wine!!! I wish

I don't think I could do that, especially the 7 drinks bit..... I drink quite a lot (NOT wine lol) and I fear I'd struggle with that. But each to their own, and if it works for someone then thats great.

Nope...I'm clueless too.

7 drinks sounds unhealthy...not that I drink that every day, but limiting your drinks is just silly. |Drinking (safe amounts of course) lots of water can really help weight loss!!

7 syns a day sounds OK, as its within the 5-10 recommended limit.

7 meals is a bit odd too, as SW encourages us to eat when hungry, so then suggesting we eat a certain number of times goes against the grain slightly!

And the on plan for 7 days bit...well Duh!!

Its probably a gimmick from another diet (or another diet entirely) which someone has tried to do alongside SW to speed up losses (like people who have slim fast shakes for a couple of meals, and do a SW meal in the evening etc.)

Each to their own, but I say choose one plan and stick to it, mixing and matching just makes life harder. If you're struggling SW has its own plans to boost losses (Success express etc), why look elsewhere?!!

:)

As above, I'd be very suspicious of anything that limited your fluid intake. And 7 times a day? mmm. Deffo not what SW promotes. COuld work though, I guess.

7 drinks sounds unhealthy...not that I drink that every day, but limiting your drinks is just silly. |Drinking (safe amounts of course) lots of water can really help weight loss!!

how are you limiting your intake - 7 drinks could mean 7 pints also I keep seeing everywhere that drinking a lot helps your weight loss but no one seems to know where this info has come from - I can't find any research related to it so if any of you know of research related to water intake and weight loss - a reference would be much appreciated. :)

Googled 'weight loss water intake'

First hit:

(fair enough its not an academic dissertation, but obviously written by someone who knows their stuff)

Drinking Water and Weight Loss

by Maia Appleby

Don't roll your eyes! The potion for losing that excess body fat is all around you. It covers two thirds of the planet. If you eat right and exercise at the intensity, frequency and duration proper for you, but still can't get rid of a little paunch here and there, you're probably just not drinking enough water.
No need to get defensive. You're actually quite normal. Most people don't drink enough water. Most people are also carrying around a few more pounds than they would be if they did drink enough water. If you can't seem to get that weight off, try drowning your sorrows in nature's magical weight-loss mineral. It works, and here's why:

"What on Earth is 'metabolism', anyway?" People use the term all the time, but ask them what it means and you'll get all kinds of answers. Merriam Webster defines it as, "The process by which a substance is handled in the body." A little vague, but that's really all it means.

There are many forms of metabolism going on in your body right now, but the one everyone is talking about it the metabolism of fat. This is actually something that the liver does when it converts stored fat to energy. The liver has other functions, but this is one of its main jobs.
Unfortunately, another of the liver's duties is to pick up the slack for the kidneys, which need plenty of water to work properly. If the kidneys are water-deprived, the liver has to do their work along with its own, lowering its total productivity. It then can't metabolize fat as quickly or efficiently as it could when the kidneys were pulling their own weight. If you allow this to happen, not only are you being unfair to your liver, but you're also setting yourself up to store fat.
"I've tried it and I couldn't stand it!" The problem is that, though many decide to increase their water intake, very few stick with it. It's understandable. During the first few days of drinking more water than your body is accustomed to, you're running to the bathroom constantly. This can be very discouraging, and it can certainly interfere with an otherwise normal day at work. It seems that the water is coming out just as fast as it's going in, and many people decide that their new hydration habit is fruitless.
Do take heed , though. What is really happening is that your body is flushing itself of the water it has been storing throughout all those years of "survival mode". It takes a while, but this is a beautiful thing happening to you. As you continue to give your body all the water it could ask for, it gets rid of what it doesn't need. It gets rid of the water it was holding onto in your ankles and your hips and thighs, maybe even around your belly. You are excreting much more than you realize. Your body figures it doesn't need to save these stores anymore; it's trusting that the water will keep coming, and if it does, eventually, the flushing (of both the body and the potty) will cease, allowing the human to return to a normal life. It's true. This is called the "breakthrough point."

One recent finding, as irresponsible as it may be, that caffeine increases the body's fat-burning potential has many people loading up on coffee before going to the gym. This finding may hold some degree of truth in it, but caffeine is, in essence, a diuretic, and diuretics dehydrate. Caffeine may increase the heart rate, causing a few more calories to be burned, but this is at the expense of the muscles, which need water to function properly. This isn't doing your heart any favors, either. It's already working hard enough during your workout. Never mix caffeine and exercise. In fact, your best bet is to stay away from caffeine all together. It's a big bully that pushes your friend water out of your system.

Water is the best beauty treatment. You've heard this since high school, and it's true. Water will do wonders for your looks! It flushes out impurities in your skin, leaving you with a clear, glowing complexion. It also makes your skin look younger. Skin that is becoming saggy, either due to aging or weight loss, plumps up very nicely when the skin cells are hydrated.

In addition, it improves muscle tone. You can lift weights until you're blue in the face, but if your muscles are suffering from a drought, you won't notice a pleasant difference in your appearance. Muscles that have all the water they need contract more easily, making your workout more effective, and you'll look much nicer than if you had flabby muscles under sagging skin.

"Eight glasses a day? Are you kidding?!" It's really not that much. Eight 8-ounce glasses amount to about two quarts of water. This is okay for the average person, but if you're overweight, you should drink another eight ounces for every 25 pounds of excess weight you carry. You should also up this if you live in a hot climate or exercise very intensely.

This water consumption should be spread out throughout the day. It's not healthy at all to drink too much water at one time. Try to pick three or four times a day when you can have a big glass of water, and then sip in between. Don't let yourself get thirsty. If you feel thirsty, you're already becoming dehydrated. Drink when you're not thirsty yet.

Do you think water is yucky? Drinking other fluids will certainly help hydrate your body, but the extra calories, sugar, additives and whatever else aren't what you need. Try a slice of lemon or lime in the glass, or if you really think you hate water, try a flavored water. Just make sure you read the labels. Remember that you're going to be consuming a lot of this fluid.

It's probably a good idea to stop drinking water a good three hours before you go to bed. You know why.

"How cold should it be?" This is debatable. Most experts lean toward cold water, because the stomach absorbs it more quickly. There is also some evidence that cold water might enhance fat burning.
On the other hand, warmer water is easier to drink in large quantities, and you might drink more of it without even realizing it. Do whatever suits you, here. Just drink it!

When you drink all the water you need, you will very quickly notice a decrease in your appetite, possibly even on the first day! If you're serious about becoming leaner and healthier, drinking water is an absolute must. If you're doing everything else right and still not seeing results, this might just be what's missing.

I'm not saying that drinking a bit more water is gonna drop 4 stone in record time, but water retention = bloating, bloating = weight gain, weight gain = lower motivation, lower motivation = falling off wagon.

Plus it's healthy to drink loads (without going crazy!!), so why put a number on it, unless it's a minimum intake (government suggest 8 250ml glasses a day).

:)

I found this about drinking water from Water Health Report - How eight glasses a day keeps the fat off!

Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase!
And an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits!
Here's the reason why...
The kidneys cannot function properly without enough water. When they do not work to capacity, some of their load is dumped on the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But if the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it cannot work at full throttle.
As a result, it metabolizes less fat... more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss stops!
Drinking an adequate amount of water every day is the best treatment for fluid retention. But when your body is given less water than it needs... it perceives the shortage as a threat to survival and will begin to retain every drop. Water reserves are stored in extra-cellular spaces (outside the cells). This water can show up as swollen feet, hands and legs.
Diuretics only offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns.
The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give your body what it needs — plenty of water — only then will stored water be released.
If water retention is a constant problem for you... excess salt may be to blame!
Your body will only tolerate sodium in certain concentrations. The more salt you eat, the more water your system retains to dilute it. But getting rid of unneeded salt is easy — just drink more water!
As the water is forced through the kidneys, it will remove the excess sodium.
Over weight people need more water than thin people. Larger people have larger metabolic loads. Since we know that water is the key to fat metabolism... it follows that the over weight person needs more water to metabolize excess fat.
Water helps to maintain proper muscle tone... which in turn, aids proper muscle contraction and prevents dehydration. It also helps to prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight loss. Shrinking cells are buoyed by water which plums the skin and leaves it clear, healthy and resilient.
Water helps rid the body of waste. During weight loss, the body has more waste to get rid of, and all that metabolized fat must be shed.
Again — water helps flush out this waste!
Water can help relieve constipation . . .
The colon is a primary internal water source. When the body gets too little water, it siphons what it needs from internal sources. Result? Constipation. But when a person drinks enough water... normal bowel function will return.
So far, we have discovered same remarkable truths about water and about weight loss... The body will not function properly without enough water and cannot metabolize stored fat efficiently. On the household weight scales... Retained water shows up as excess weight.
It may seem strange, but to get rid of excess water... You must drink more water!
Drinking water is essential to losing weight.
How much water is enough?
If you are a normal weight for your height, then on average you should drink (8) eight — 8 oz. glasses of pure water every day. However, if you are overweight you should take (1) one additional glass for every 25 lbs. of excess weight you are trying to lose. The amount that you drink should be increased if you exercise, or if the weather is hot and dry.
Preferably, your drinking water should be taken cold...
Cold water is absorbed more quickly into the system than warm water. Some evidence suggests that drinking cold water can actually burn calories. To utilize water most efficiently during weight loss, follow this schedule:

Morning:1 Quart of pure water over 30 minutesNoon:1 Quart of pure water over 30 minutesEvening:1 Quart of pure water between 5-6 P.M.

When the body gets all the water it needs to function optimally, all body system fluids will perfectly balance.
When this happens . . . you reach the "breakthrough point".
So what does that mean?
  • Endocrine gland function improves...
  • Fluid retention is alleviated as stored water is lost...
  • More fat can be used as fuel because the liver is free to metabolize stored fat...
  • Natural thirst returns...
  • There is a loss of hunger almost overnight.
But don't forget this...
If you stop drinking enough water your body fluids
will again be thrown out of balance . . .
Once again you may experience fluid retention, unexplained weight gain and loss of thirst!
So what's the remedy this situation?
Start over . . . Increase your water intake to force another breakthrough!
Reprinted from "The Snowbird Diet" by Donald S. Roberston, M.D., M. Sc.

i think the 7 drinks a day bit is probably a min thing like what we should be aiming for i know i don't drink that much and i should
7 meals probably goes from the eating little and often.
and 7 syns is just a aim for thing i guess the 777 just sounds good
i think it sounds ok when u take it as a min not a max thing.
i fancy trying it if you have any more info on it please.
i'll do anything to kick start my weight loss

Sorry no, I have no more info on it - just that cousin gained an unexpected pound and was very upset as her weight loss - despite sticking to plan is slow (I haven;'t been struggling - yet - thankfully - hope I don't either !).

I just wondered AS I couldn't stop to class this week whether this was a new booster plan of SW's which was discussed this week.

My cousin said that you eat 7 times a day within plan - 7 drinks - well that could be water at half a pint at a time - so you're not limiting your fluid intake and the 7 syns as someone else pointed out is the recommended 5 - 10 syns per day.

I must admit that years ago I hit a brick wall whilst on SW and to kickstart my weight loss I ate every hour on the hour - well almost - little but often - I did drop to just 5 syns a day and I didn't eat anything like 'free' mullers just fruit in between meals - and I dropped 5lb's in a week so I agree that this 777 thing could actually work.

I did read an article the other week about some new '3 hour' diet, which basically says that you should eat once every 3 hours throughout the day. I think it's suppose to speed up your metabolism?

3 Hour Diet

Either way, does kind of sound like another fad diet. :(

Emily

One recent finding, ---- which one?

This finding may hold some degree of truth in it, ---- or may not

there is also some evidence------ what evidence?

this might just
--- or might just not---

call me old fashioned but when there are no references I think it is just hot air.
thanks for the info tho - musch appreciated!:thankyou:

Studies have shown - which studies?

Water helps to maintain proper muscle tone...
----
really? - can you imagine going to the doctor and saying doc I don't have decent muscle control and the response being you need to drink more water?

Without references to scientific papers that have been peer ratified I don't believe it and it is just rumours. Thanks for the info tho - much appreciated!

it gives you a healthy colon, makes you go to the loo more often, which helps with weightloss obviously! LOL x

Back