Having the support of your relatives and partner

Elie

Silver Member
Hi everybody!!!

I feel like thinking today, and I wanted to share my thoughts with you (if you don't mind, of course). :)

I remember my 1st meeting with my CDC, 2 weeks ago, and how she stressed that support from my family and friends was vital. She didn't say that my success depended solely on it, but my wellbeing did. I knew she was right, but it is only until very recently that I realised how important it REALLY was. Let me explain you, and bore you with details :giggle:

Until recently, only my BF was aware of my doing CD. He was very supportive, although during the 1st few days, he had to devise new techniques to deal with hungry Elie, which is not easy, trust me!!!!! Anyway, after a while, I told about CD to my lovely sister. Those of you who read my thread on WeMITT will know how lovely she was. She was so encouraging indeed, that it made me cry :rolleyes:. She didn't know about CD, as VLCD are practically non-existant in France, and I was afraid she would say that I am barking mad :eek:. BUT, she said that she was very happy because she knew I wouldn't do something unhealthy :D. And then, the day after, my BF bought me a lovely blue ring to celebrate my 1st stone lost and he said he would give me one for every stone lost :D. Ok, the ring is very very cheap and this is not a jewel, but it represents so much to my eyes :eek:.

So there, I wanted to share my good mood, and hopefully it will "contaminate" someone. Once you have it, pass it to your neighbour :D

Love

Elie

How lovely Ellie, it's good to hear you sounding so positive and great to know that you have that kind of support.

I know in all my weight battles I could not cope without the unswerving support of my DH - he's suffered 30 years of 'diets' and is always good natured about it. I know I am very lucky and it sounds like you are too!

Love

We are indeed lucky Barb!!!:D

I think partners should receive a medal at the end of every diet started by their OH :p. Mine certainly deserves one, because God knows I am not easy to live with everyday:rolleyes:.

Aww, Elie, what a sweet boyfriend! I like the idea of :airquote:contaminating:airquote: others with good thoughts and news!:giggle:

such a nice idea ellie. I have only told my bf he is a great support but i went against his advice last night and broke my diet see my other thread. Could never tell my sisters or familly about cd at all. they would just judge me

Aww, Elie, what a sweet boyfriend! I like the idea of :airquote:contaminating:airquote: others with good thoughts and news!:giggle:

I couldn't find a better word than "contaminating" :giggle:

But it is true though, that you can contaminate people with your good mood. It is nice to know that you can pass other things than bugs and viruses :giggle: . So many times I came on here totally disheartened and after reading a few posts, I was back to my happy normal self :D

Minimins rocks

Ahhhhhhhhhh Elie your bf sounds wonderful. I love his (ring)stone for each stone you lose reward. Hang onto him he's a jewel too! Well done as well to you.

such a nice idea ellie. I have only told my bf he is a great support but i went against his advice last night and broke my diet see my other thread. Could never tell my sisters or familly about cd at all. they would just judge me

Aw Becky, I am so sorry. Ultimately, we have to take our own decisions, and sometimes we don't follow good advice. It is all trial and error, don't beat yourself up sweetie.:hug99:

As for my sister, I am lucky that she is also my best friend. I wouldn't tell my family either, as my father is so judgmental that he would spend hours lecturing me until I cry and comfort eat. Never mind if he doesn't know anything about the diet!!! My mum would be concerned but she would still try to stay positive. As for my grandparents, they are too old fashioned, and I can't hold it against them. But I have to say minimins has become my dieting family.

Were you born in 1985? if so, we are the same generation. I am only 2 years older than you. The problem is that our parents still see us as children who need to be guided, so they say things that they would never dare say if we were older and had our family, etc.

Do you have adiary or a blog becky?

Elie

Ahhhhhhhhhh Elie your bf sounds wonderful. I love his (ring)stone for each stone you lose reward. Hang onto him he's a jewel too! Well done as well to you.

Aww, thanks Flirty :D. He wasn't a jewel when he broke my scales though :giggle:

I know he is great. And I don't know how he can be with someone as crazy as me!!!!!

Elie

I have to say that I have had no support from family/friends all the way through CD since I told nobody about it. Friends guessed when I started to shrink but I didn't tell all of them about Cambridge.

Most of it is down to your own mindset and wanting to lose the weight in the first place.

I have to say that I have had no support from family/friends all the way through CD since I told nobody about it. Friends guessed when I started to shrink but I didn't tell all of them about Cambridge.

Most of it is down to your own mindset and wanting to lose the weight in the first place.

Yes if you don't want to do it enough then nothing else will make any difference. You have to want to do it for you. I can't say I agree with her CDC in saying that the support of family and friends is VITAL.

But Elie's b/f and sister have supported her in a way that has made her more determined, her journey more rewarding (literally!!) and is fantastic. There are many partners, family menbers who are not encouraging or even disparaging and that can make any dieter have a more difficult and sometimes impossible job.

The thing is, with me, I need to speak about what I am feeling. So if I didn't have anyone who would be willing to support me, it would make me miserable. Fortunately, it is not the case!!!!! But I agree with you, motivation comes from within. :D When I decided dieting, it was my decision. I hadn't even talked about it with anybody. I just decided, on the 15th of jan., to diet. And I have done it so far. But I admit I like it when people encourage me :eek:. I am still a child at heart :eek::eek::eek:

Elie

The thing is, with me, I need to speak about what I am feeling. So if I didn't have anyone who would be willing to support me, it would make me miserable. Fortunately, it is not the case!!!!! But I agree with you, motivation comes from within. :D When I decided dieting, it was my decision. I hadn't even talked about it with anybody. I just decided, on the 15th of jan., to diet. And I have done it so far. But I admit I like it when people encourage me :eek:. I am still a child at heart :eek::eek::eek:

Elie

We all like to be praised Elie - which is why support is great - from family and friends and for those not so lucky there .... on here! I too work better on carrot incentive rather than the stick method. My family are supportive to a point - but yesterday when I started a thread on here, all my MM friends came on and I felt so wonderful that it has sustained me through to today and because of that I'm feeling grrrrrrrreat (said in a kellogs tiger voice!!)

You'll get there Elie because you have your determination, plus fantastic support from your b/f and sister ... and a great collection of rings at the end too!!!

and a great collection of rings at the end too!!!

Now this is something to aim for :giggle:

Actually, my 2nd stone should be there in a couple of weeks. I wonder how I am going to call this one... The 1st one was Bertha! When I tell you I am crazy :eek:

Elie - you make me laugh calling your stones names!lol What a great idea!
The support is very important I agree. My son actually told me he was proud of me on Sunday which is unheard of as he has Aspergers and doesn't give out compliments often!lol
I do tend to get most of my support on minis - the people here are so wonderful and caring. Never judgemental just sound, caring advice. I'm so glad I found this site!
My OH is kind of supportive but doesn't say much - just that he thinks he is losing weight too!
I've been thinking about rewarding myself for when I lose each stone - hopefully will be getting to my 2 stone loss mark soon but what to get!!!!!! (slap up meal?!lol)
I think it's great that you have a big "child" in you. It's so important to keep a sense of humour on this journey - indeed the whole journey of life.
I wish you all the best - your b/f sounds like a diamond to me!
Tansyx:)

Back