Head in the game

keegan

Really struggling to get my head in the game. Have the inspiration , know the plan but always seem to find my hand in a packet of something it shouldn't be. Have a wedding in June and a holiday in August. It I always seem on a self destruct mission. I don't just mean a biscuit here and there. For example I sat watching casualty last night are a full tube of Pringles and a chocolate orange. What is wrong with me

We have all been there trust me.Are you going to a group? It really might help just a week on plan & a weight loss might be what you need.I started last year beginning of jan on my own & had a binge within the first week & thought exactly the same what is wrong with me then something just snapped I got my head in the game & when things got tough took myself off to bed early,boring I know but waking up knowing you stuck to it the day before really pushes you to do another day :) I didn't join a group until june when I started to go off the rails a bit & needed the support.Good luck just take one day at a time

Yeah I'm at group but as a nurse I struggle to make it every week which sets of a chain reaction but I can't do it any other way there are some weeks were none in my area fit into my shift pattern. In a way I'm sometimes better at home because I don't miss weigh ins but then if I go off on one I need the group support can't win with myself haha

Do you have any targets set? How much do you want to lose by the weddings? You could break it down to a pound a week

Really struggling to get my head in the game. Have the inspiration , know the plan but always seem to find my hand in a packet of something it shouldn't be. Have a wedding in June and a holiday in August. It I always seem on a self destruct mission. I don't just mean a biscuit here and there. For example I sat watching casualty last night are a full tube of Pringles and a chocolate orange. What is wrong with me

I think you need to remove the temptation. Why were Pringles and a chocolate orange around for you to eat? The starting place for willpower, for me anyway, is when shopping. You can't eat what isn't there.

Also - have you spoken to a consultant about the special arrangements for shift workers?

I think I'd struggle to resist a Chocolate Orange if it was in the house. Maybe the first step could be to remove temptation. (Says the woman who was saying'no' out loud to the bakery aisle in Sainsbury's yesterday lol).

That's me too! Said I was starting on the 2nd but already saying tomorrow is now the start date. I have been stuffing my face with chocolates so I get rid of them before tomorrow. Like others have said of there not in the house I can't eat them. I just don't have enough will power to do it but if I keep going like I am I will need to buy the next size up. I must get a grip!!!!

Yeah I'm at group but as a nurse I struggle to make it every week which sets of a chain reaction but I can't do it any other way there are some weeks were none in my area fit into my shift pattern. In a way I'm sometimes better at home because I don't miss weigh ins but then if I go off on one I need the group support can't win with myself haha

(ex) shift worker here - don't let that put you off! this is only a valid reason if you live in the middle of nowhere and have no transport. There are day/evening groups everywhere now, pop your postcode onto te group finder on the app and you'll see how many are local to you - I used to go to 5-6 different groups, yes it was a pain in the bum and no I didn't lose as quickly as I was when I had a better routine...however, I was still losing. It's worth it if you can do it, you just have to be even tougher willed than most SW people to go and weigh in at a new group every few weeks. I used to travel up and down the UK some weeks too and weighed in up north, in cornwall, bristol, norfolk, suffolk and all over London! If you find your shifts are stopping you from going one week, don't worry about it! Have a 'weigh day' and go to Boots or somewhere with proper scales and weigh in there so it's still an event with a time/date set to it. use this forum as support, or see if you can get in on a facebook group at one of the groups you sometimes weigh in at and explain to every consultant your situation, there is a lot of leeway for us shift workers including much more 'holiday' type weeks due to changing work patterns etc.

Either way, welcome to minimins and don't worry about your binge last night - we've all done it! Skinny/thin/fat/average/tall/short people ALL do it, it's just that we are consciously doing it, and knowing the consequences too. x

Just chiming in to add my twopennorth! I know it is easier said than done, but like Mandlegrot says, try and draw a line and move on from yesterday's binge - tomorrow is another day! You can't undo the past, but you can change your future. Also, I agree with Anna and Lucky - willpower starts with the shopping list. I don't buy chocolate, crisps, biscuits and the like - I rarely crave them, but if I know they are in the house I can't rest till they're gone!

ok so you have had a bad day we have all been there done that.. draw a line in the sand and start again dont beat yourself up over it your human like us all.. maybe get rid of the dirt in the house...my daughters party was on sunday and when everyone was leaving they brought something with them so the house was rubbish free or almost anyway. yesterday I fell down in the afternoon as there was still some sweets left in the house the child was getting a nap so i said yes.. get to eat something in peace... 20mins later I was saying to myself why did i do that.......so whatever was left got thrown into the bin. temptation gone!! i was good then for the rest of the day, today was a much better day as I had all my meals planned and went to the jym too ..... there is a saying here somewhere "fail to plan.... plan to fail" keep saying this over and over in your head and you will soon believe it and work on planning food and quick snacks incase you feel the urge for a binge again. buy low syn treats for when that sugar rush in needed...and come on here for encouragement and support .. all the best with it and you will do it xxxx

I was coming on to post the same op!

I was starting on the 30th dec, the 2nd Jan then every day since.

I sabotage myself all the time, I also have depression and food is my comfort. Except it's not I always end up hating myself after a binge. I'm hoping it clicks soon and until then I will keep trying when I can

Back