Healthy A&E department!!

funcurls

Never gets tired of SW!
Hi! I spent this evening stuck in an A&E waiting area after my dh conveniently sliced his finger with a Stanley knife!! Hmmm, clever thing!! I got caught short hunger-wise and decided to check out the vending machine!! I was pleasantly surprised!! There wasn't a proper chocolate bar or full fat packet of crisps in sight!! The machine was full of cereal bars such as Alpen, Alpen Light, Special K, Go Aheads and lower fat crisps such as Walkers Bakes and Snack-a-Jacks!! OK no fresh fruit available, but at least it's a start!! I was most impressed!Unfortunately the canteen food is unable to claim such a healthy outlook! I'm a nurse and am on a daily basis disgusted with the food served to patients and staff- I won't touch it and ALWAYS take my own food in with me, but I think that places that take the initiative to provide healthier choices should be given recognition!! Hubby is now all stitched up and tucked up in bed!!X

I've never seen a vending machine with that sort of stuff in before - good for them.

Years ago I was in hospital and one of the other patients was the wife of the guy in charge of catering for that hospital and another one nearby. He used to bring her sandwiches in each day. Doesn't inspire hope!!

Ours do bacon butties (white bap) and there is always a big pile of chips! You can get a baked potato, the salads are 2 pieces of tomato, 2 of cucumber, a spring onion and limp lettuce. Most folk take their own.

I'm an ex nurse and the food in my hospital was diabolical, so in the 10 years that I have been out of nursing it dosen't seem to have got any better.

It's not just here either, my son is in hospital in Perth, Australia and the food there is disgusting too, he has lost 8 stones (yes, 8 stones, he's half the man that he was) since he was admitted on January 27th, my DH was over there with him for a month and he agreed that the food was awful.

I was rushed into hospital in London about ten years ago with chest pains (angina). The first ward I was in was fine - the food was not bad and relatively healthy. But then I was moved to another ward and for lunch that day I was offered the choice of fish and chips, or lasagne, or a cheese and mayonnaise sandwich! The ward was full of people with dodgy hearts!

No fruit, no salad. I think I ate a bread roll.

I demanded to go home the next day. The consultant said that if I was well enough to be that stroppy I was probably well enough to leave!

I'm a nurse on a cardiac intensive care and high dependency unit and you should see the choice (or lack of) they get!! The 'healthy' option is a very boring salad with a pile of grated cheddar on the plate and a sachet of full fat salad cream!! It's a joke really!!X

Back