Healthy BMI

leehal

What are peoples thoughts of 25 or less being a healthy BMI ?

Even at my slightly revised goal of 15stone my BMI will still be 29, I could not imagine being any thinner and have been told that I look OK now.

BMI will always be a tricky one I think, It appears that they don't take into account frame size, basing the charts on Joe Average. I have a large frame and I look OK at my current 27 and something BMI. The chart says I could stand to lose another stone over my target weight! :eek:
I think you have to go to a size that feels comfortable to you, and even at 'overweight' most GP's and health workers would be happy at that. Its when you get into the obese range it seems to be a bigger issue.
I would say go to a size that you are comfortable and happy with.

This answers the question: Body mass index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The BMI is meant to broadly categorize populations for purely statistical purposes. As noted, its accuracy in relation to actual levels of body fat is easily distorted by such factors as fitness level, muscle mass, bone structure, gender, and ethnicity. People who are mesomorphic tend to have higher BMI numbers than people who are endomorphic, because they have greater bone mass and greater muscle mass, respectively, than do endomorphic individuals.

Similarly, ectomorphic individuals could conceivably receive a reading below the normal range, when in fact their body type makes it healthy for them to be thin. In fact, ectomorphs could obtain healthy readings even when their body fat percentage is higher than is healthy, as their low lean mass will lower the BMI.
People with short stature tend to have lower BMI. Therefore they should use a lower cut-off value for obesity diagnosis. The same applies to older people, whose reduced muscle mass can hide additional body fat without increasing BMI. Therefore, find out what your body fat is to work out if you are in the healthy BMI range.

Hey,

Just thought I'd add my bit ... my BMI is currently 27 and I look and feel 'fat'. Might be because I am short? I know that I'm not happy with the way I look and feel until my BMI is nearer 20.

Leehal, I wouldn't worry too much about the scale. You have done yourself proud by losing the excess and to have 36" waist trousers falling off you is a mega achievement!!! You are certainly much healthier for losing the pounds, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the BMI thing. It is a indication only - and we're all different afterall.

xx

How about going by trouser size and forgetting all about your BMI reading? Say you decide you want to wear 34" trousers, lose weight until they feel comfortable, maintain for a while until you get used to being that size and then decide if you're happy to stay there or if you want to aim for another size down.

My DH had a Bupa overhaul a couple of months back and asked a lot of q's about his BMI. The doctors told him that with his build and height, to aim for a BMI of 25 would be unhealthy, and he should aim for a BMI of 27-28 to look and feel right. It's only one indication of a healthy weight, as other people have said. DH felt much better once they'd explained he could still be a higher BMI and medically healthy for his individual build. He's BMI 28 now and looks fantastic - I bet you will too.

Back