Healthy eating on a cruise

DinoDana

So in a few weeks I'm off on my holidays, two weeks cruise with Thompson.

I'm not planning on sticking to plan 100% as I think that would be quite difficult and also I do think holidays are for enjoying. However, I have been struggling to shift lbs for the past few months so the last thing I want to do is pile on a load more while on holiday.

This is my first cruise, so does anyone have any experience with them? Are there many healthier options while on board?

I am going to take my gym gear too which will be the first holiday I've ever bothered doing that on.

wow, well done for your commitment. We went of a Thomson AI long haul holiday (not cruise) in March. I had every intention of going healthy, and hitting the gym. I didn't use the gym once, enjoyed any food I wanted (but didn't get greedy like I did the year before), and drank cocktails. I put 3lbs on in 2 weeks, and then the next week at SW I had 3.5lbs loss. If you're happy doing the healthy thing, great, if not, enjoy what you like and don't forget it will easily come back off again x

I'll be honest, we've looked up the food options and I'm already wavering.

I think I'm just going to have to try and have a bit of what I fancy or what's available but not go too crazy (as that just makes me feel ill now anyway) as for the gym, I will take my gear with every intention of going... but again making no promises.

I don't know if I can take my big suitcase or not though... not sure if it will fit under the bed in the cabin or if we should look at smaller luggage options

Hiya

I have been on a few cruises, not Thomson but they are all similar....the healthy stuff is there - there are always fruit options and cereals for breakfast and salads and veg and plan portions of meat.....BUT all the naughty stuff is there too.....you are on holiday, what's a girl supposed to choose!!! This is a cruise statistic, you put on a 1lb a day on a cruise. The first cruise I went on I put on 11lbs :eek:. The last cruise I went on I put on 6lbs. I figured if I had a heavy breakfast I would eat a salad for lunch and then the regular 3 - 5 course meal of an evening and drink what I like. If I knew we were having a heavy lunch, then I would eat light for breakfast.... I meant to go the gym, but I decided to enjoy myself instead!

Basically, the healthy food is there if you want it!

Have fun and enjoy yourself, worry about any weight gain on your return - believe me when I say you will love it!

x

ps. there is usually plenty of room for suitcases under the bed!

Oh no, I can't lie at the moment that statistic terrifies me. The lb a day one. Part of me thinks is thinking right I will stick to fruit and try and be really good, but at the same time we have paid a lot of money for this cruise and I want to enjoy it, it is our holiday after all.

I think when I get there I will just have what I fancy and be prepared for a gain. I gained 7lbs over Christmas this year and I didn't do half as much walking around as we will be doing on the cruise so I suppose that's a good thing.

I need to stop worrying about it, I keep saying I need to make sure I don't fall into the trap of becoming too obsessed with my weight again, it's all about having a healthy balance. Last time I did slimming world I used to freak out if we had plans at the weekend, I don't want to go back to that. I will enjoy my holiday, be good where and can and when I want to be and have a bit of a treat if that is what I want too.

I'll just have to make sure when I try on my clothes just before going I do pack some that are roomier for later on in the cruise as well if I do gain weigh, don't want to end up stuck with nothing to wear because I've put too much podge on lol. To be fair, I also need to remember that a lot of holiday weight gain is water retention from salt and alcohol and will come off a bit quicker (I hope)

Thank you for your response :)

Oh no, I can't lie at the moment that statistic terrifies me. The lb a day one. Part of me thinks is thinking right I will stick to fruit and try and be really good, but at the same time we have paid a lot of money for this cruise and I want to enjoy it, it is our holiday after all.

I think when I get there I will just have what I fancy and be prepared for a gain. I gained 7lbs over Christmas this year and I didn't do half as much walking around as we will be doing on the cruise so I suppose that's a good thing.

I need to stop worrying about it, I keep saying I need to make sure I don't fall into the trap of becoming too obsessed with my weight again, it's all about having a healthy balance. Last time I did slimming world I used to freak out if we had plans at the weekend, I don't want to go back to that. I will enjoy my holiday, be good where and can and when I want to be and have a bit of a treat if that is what I want too.

I'll just have to make sure when I try on my clothes just before going I do pack some that are roomier for later on in the cruise as well if I do gain weigh, don't want to end up stuck with nothing to wear because I've put too much podge on lol. To be fair, I also need to remember that a lot of holiday weight gain is water retention from salt and alcohol and will come off a bit quicker (I hope)

Thank you for your response :)

Why be terrified by it?? You are going on holiday, looking at your stats you have already done well in losing a stone, you aren't obese by any stretch of the imagination. I can eat for England, especially on holiday when all bets are off as far as I am concerned...and I AM obese, even I never put on the amount they said - just go and enjoy yourself, don't worry about numbers on a scale - you can get those down within a couple of weeks on your return. Life is most definitely for living, and you must live and enjoy yourself. You are a healthy weight anyway, please don't put any fear or worry into this. As my mum says, you are a long time dead!

I would agree on the roomy front. I wore all my "fitted" stuff in the first week and went "looser" in the second week, but honestly it won't be that bad.

Thank you, I need to re-read what you said a few times I think.

I'm terrible and I know it, if I saw someone else posting what I say I'd be saying the same as you. I need to learn to take my own advice. I am way to harsh on myself when it comes to my body (I know we all are) I sometimes need to remember that when I look at someone else my size, or bigger than me I don't think they look horrible. I always see how great they look, so I should start focusing on that with myself.

I am just going to enjoy my holiday and whatever I gain I know I can lose again :)

Thank you again x

Back