Healthy Extras Reduce Weight loss ?

BigChief

I was just thinking that healthy extras are glorified syns. Each healthy extra is about 3 syns. So 6 syns a day thats 42 a week.

I understand that healthy extras are good to have for general nutrition but does it increase weight loss or just overall healthiness.

I only mention this as i decided to have a maintain week last week. Had a dominos pizza and 15 syns everyday and my healthy extras. I did still lose 2 pounds somehow....

Anyway this week i am making up for my previous week and going for a 5 pound loss so i can put it back on over Christmas and was just wondering would not having my healthy extra A and B assist my weight loss or hinder it ?

Cheers,
JP

The A choice healthy extra is there to give you calcium and some fat. You need some fat to absorb vitamins in other foods. You need calcium because if you don't get enough you may suffer for it in later life with osteoporosis. There are also studies which appear to show that calcium aids weight loss.

The B choices are mostly for fibre, which you need to keep things moving, so to speak! Also, oats have a type of fibre which can reduce bad cholesterol levels. I always have porridge for one of my B choices.
SW is about healthy eating choices, not just weight loss.

I was just thinking that healthy extras are glorified syns. Each healthy extra is about 3 syns. So 6 syns a day thats 42 a week.

I understand that healthy extras are good to have for general nutrition but does it increase weight loss or just overall healthiness.

I only mention this as i decided to have a maintain week last week. Had a dominos pizza and 15 syns everyday and my healthy extras. I did still lose 2 pounds somehow....

Anyway this week i am making up for my previous week and going for a 5 pound loss so i can put it back on over Christmas and was just wondering would not having my healthy extra A and B assist my weight loss or hinder it ?

Cheers,
JP

Each HEX is usually about 6 or 7 syns, except some of the cheeses which are less. Like Anna said theyre there to ensure you get essential nutrients in your diet, its not about the calories.

If you're bothered about calories you should be doing a VLCD, not SW. SW is a healthy eating plan - not a calorie controlled D-I-E-T.

Skipping your HEXes wont make you lose any faster as they just dont contain enough calories to make enough difference - the maximum calories you could save on EE in one week would be about 1700, which is less than half a pound - but in fact youre more likely to lose less as your body will hang onto its supplies as it 'thinks' its not getting enough, and at the same time you're losing out on important nutrients. If you *insist* on cutting something, cut syns - but as I said above the more you restrict your intake the more your body will hang onto its reserves.

Just eat healthily - stick to the plan. Your HEXes are there for a reason.

Oh, and one Dominos pizza in one week, to be frank, is naff all on the grand scheme of things - its if you do it *every week*, *several times* a week that it matters. I have a 'day off' every Saturday and still lose over 2lb a week, every week - theres no mystery in your eating a pizza and still losing 2lbs, its entirely normal. You dont have to eat like a rabbit on SW ;)

So no, youre not going to lose any faster by skipping HEXes. (Even if you *did* managed to save half a pound - well whoop de doo, half a pound eh? And then you're gonna do that every week? For the rest of your life?) Its not sustainable - just stick to the plan. :)

Hapy Xmas :)

ermintrude said:
Each HEX is usually about 6 or 7 syns, except some of the cheeses which are less. Like Anna said theyre there to ensure you get essential nutrients in your diet, its not about the calories.

If you're bothered about calories you should be doing a VLCD, not SW. SW is a healthy eating plan - not a calorie controlled D-I-E-T.

Skipping your HEXes wont make you lose any faster as they just dont contain enough calories to make enough difference - the maximum calories you could save on EE in one week would be about 1700, which is less than half a pound - but in fact youre more likely to lose less as your body will hang onto its supplies as it 'thinks' its not getting enough, and at the same time you're losing out on important nutrients. If you *insist* on cutting something, cut syns - but as I said above the more you restrict your intake the more your body will hang onto its reserves.

Just eat healthily - stick to the plan. Your HEXes are there for a reason.

Oh, and one Dominos pizza in one week, to be frank, is naff all on the grand scheme of things - its if you do it *every week*, *several times* a week that it matters. I have a 'day off' every Saturday and still lose over 2lb a week, every week - theres no mystery in your eating a pizza and still losing 2lbs, its entirely normal. You dont have to eat like a rabbit on SW ;)

So no, youre not going to lose any faster by skipping HEXes. (Even if you *did* managed to save half a pound - well whoop de doo, half a pound eh? And then you're gonna do that every week? For the rest of your life?) Its not sustainable - just stick to the plan. :)

Hapy Xmas :)

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Anyway sorry to burst your bubble but your expected gain may turn up this week, many of us notice a two week cycle!

I always find that Healthy Extras help fill me up which means I am less likely to want to snack or eat more than I should.

I find that adding cheese to things or having wholemeal bread or pitta as part of my meal really does fill me up more so I think there is that element to the weight loss.

I wonder if the OP managed the 5lb loss - especially at Christmas week?

Can't help thinking they were fretting about calories and as Erm, said, perhaps a different "diet" (as opposed to a "plan") may be in order.

Nothing much to add than already said, except to mention the slow-release benefits of complex carbohydrates. Also, the name Healthy Extras in itself is telling. Wouldn't be half as interesting if called "Might be beneficials" or "If you really musts" ;)

Back