Heart rate monitors

Donzy84

Back to basics
Can anyone advise on a good heart rate monitor and how accurate are they for monitoring calories burned.

Thanks
D x

Firstly the calorie count is not 100% but using heart rate its indicative - works better for aerobic type exercise, anything with weights wont work very well.

What exercise will you be doing or where will you be wearing it?

some need a chest strap and some just a wrist watch.

ASDA do a basic HRM for £19 - its just like a watch

Polar do a FT7 which records details and comes with chest strap, but has a zone reading to tell you if you are exercising and burning fat. £70 ish (I have the FT4 - does what I need)

If your wearing it all day and want something more watch like the Polar F6 is ok and for girlies only, so I wont be wearing one - £70

Oregan scientific PM25 is good at £39 has a 2yr warranty

This piece might be useful in taking your decision - Heart Rate Monitors Review

Enjoy!

MartinD said:
Firstly the calorie count is not 100% but using heart rate its indicative - works better for aerobic type exercise, anything with weights wont work very well.

What exercise will you be doing or where will you be wearing it?

some need a chest strap and some just a wrist watch.

ASDA do a basic HRM for £19 - its just like a watch

Polar do a FT7 which records details and comes with chest strap, but has a zone reading to tell you if you are exercising and burning fat. £70 ish (I have the FT4 - does what I need)

If your wearing it all day and want something more watch like the Polar F6 is ok and for girlies only, so I wont be wearing one - £70

Oregan scientific PM25 is good at £39 has a 2yr warranty

This piece might be useful in taking your decision - Heart Rate Monitors Review

Enjoy!

Thanks Martin, I've been doing c25k and wondered how accurate runkeeper is, I also do kettleworx which is kind of cardio with a kettlebell.

Great advice Martin. I wanted a watch version because I don't like the idea of a strap. I would be using it when I start back at the gym, because their machines aren't reliable. Mainly want to use it for calorie counting.
Can anyone reccomend a good watch version that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Also one that works well, because the reviews online are rubbish. :)

HRM use an alogrithm to calculate calories so make sure you can enter gender, age and your weight. this will be more accurate. It works ok for aerobic exercise, as muscles work 'consistently'.

The challenge with weights or kettlebell is that you use different muscle groups - a bicep curl uses a small muscle but your heart responds in a similar manner as it would for say a lunge which uses more and larger muscle. The bicep only uses a fraction of the energy that your bum and legs do in a lunge. Then you also have with weight based exercise the effect where if you overloaded the muscle it will recover over the next 24-48hrs using calories which wont be counted. This effect doesnt happen to the same effect with aerobic exercise.

Its still a useful gauge and working in the heart rate ranges is really beneficial

Back