HEb question

BritMumInCanada

Gold Member
Does anyone know (maybe a consultant reading this) why HEb bread choices are mainly whole wheat?

Whole grain bread is much better for you, generally and has more fibre, as well as healthy grains. So I wondered why it wasn't a choice for a HEb?

Maybe I should ask Slimming World directly, but thought I would ask on here first incase someone knows the answer.

Part of the healthy food choices I am making now because of my PCOS state to choose Whole Grain breads instead of Whole Wheat which is why I am asking. lol

You made me wonder ... so I looked it up. Wikipedia says this

"Wholegrains are cereal grains that contain bran and germ as well as the endosperm, in contrast to refined grains, which retain only the endosperm. Wholegrains can generally be sprouted while processed grains generally will not sprout. Wholemeal products are made from wholegrain flour."

So I think whole wheat and whole grain are the same thing, but I'm guessing BMIC means bread that has bits in it, and I've no idea why they're not HEs!!

Wholegrain bread contains seeds as well as grains and seeds contain oil which makes it higher in calories. Wholemeal bread on the other hand is just made from unrefined flour with the wheat husks still present. Bottom line is that wholegrain bread is higher in calories than wholemeal which is why SW don't make it an HE. I can't get my head around this as wholegrain bread, although higher in fat, is so much healthier and higher in fibre. I guess because SW is a low fat diet, they always have their eye on fat content, good or bad.

What I would personally do is eat and enjoy your wholegrain bread and count it as an HE + syns depending on the overall calorie content of a serving. That's what I did with pitta bread, though that caused a bit of controversy here if you remember :D

Wholegrain bread contains seeds as well as grains and seeds contain oil which makes it higher in calories. Wholemeal bread on the other hand is just made from unrefined flour with the wheat husks still present. Bottom line is that wholegrain bread is higher in calories than wholemeal which is why SW don't make it an HE. I can't get my head around this as wholegrain bread, although higher in fat, is so much healthier and higher in fibre. I guess because SW is a low fat diet, they always have their eye on fat content, good or bad.

What I would personally do is eat and enjoy your wholegrain bread and count it as an HE + syns depending on the overall calorie content of a serving. That's what I did with pitta bread, though that caused a bit of controversy here if you remember :D

Thanks Honeyoc,

Whole Grain and Whole Wheat are definately different as you have pointed out :). The fibre is so much better in Whole Grain and although some breads advertise as Whole Wheat on the packaging, you would be surprised when looking at the ingredients that the first ingredient sometimes has nothing whatsoever to do with Whole Wheat and is probably just as bad for you as White bread.

I think I may do what you suggest. :)

Well after my question it might help if I looked at the revised Healthy extra list for Canada and the US lol, as we can have 2oz of pumpernickel or flax seed bread as a HEb, which I believe are both low gi, so have opted for them now instead.

We can also have 2oz of multigrain bread, but not sure if that would be the same as wholegrain?? I would imagine I would have to watch the order of ingredients to make sure hte main ingredient is not white flour.

Back