Heffalump to Slinky: Journey to Less of Me

wenchie

Silver Member
I've been kicking around the forums for a while and I've been on SW since the 11th of January, and I figured it was time for something new (internet accountability) and somewhere to put all the thinky stuff that this journey's kicking up for me. I'm a deeply rotten planner so my food diaries might be a bit all over the place, so bear with me on those :D.

Anyway, I'm 35, female, single and scottish and I finally decided that, actually, what I'd like to be is healthy and with a SW class pretty much at the end of my road it just seemed to be the perfect place to go. I lost about 50lbs on WW about 9 years ago, but all the constant counting and measuring everything did my head in so after 6months I fell off the wagon and put it all back with change. SW feels far, far, better for me. My WI's on a tuesday night and so far I've lost a stone :D.

sunday's food and thoughts:
I was out in town with a couple of friends for most of the day, so my food was a bit all over the place. However, I saved my syns from Saturday (my consultant has said we can do that, I know it's not neccessarily the "done" thing, but it's been working for me and it's makes the plan work better for me) so I had 30 to juggle.

Brunch
Green Beans S Free
Chilli Chicken 98%FFSNoodles Free

Snack
Grande Skinny Latte HExA (It's roughly 300ml of skim milk with an expresso, which is free)

Dinner
Bombay Potatoes 11Syns (highest value online)
Lentil Dahl 8syns (highest value online)
Pilau Rice 2.5syns (didn't eat much of it so took average takeaway value)
Diet Coke Free

Snacks
2 Diet Cokes Free

Supper
1/5 Mugshots Minestrone Free

No Wii at all today, walked around town with the girls enough that my legs ACHED last night though. 21.5syns for the day which is well within the 30 I'd set, so gives me some to play with if I under-valued. Made up the mugshot when I got home, because I figured I'd not eaten very much, but really wasn't hungry enough to bother eating it. Defaulted to being a green day, and I lacked HEx Bs in particular but lentils are good soluble fibre and the potatoes still had skins on so I'm not panicking about that. I've got scanbran for my HExB today :)

NSVs yesterday:
Got into old jeans a size down, fit without cutting in :D
Got into new black checked shirt that used to not fit at all :D
Resisted the pudding and instead of getting chips when I got the gluten free option (I've pretty much stopped eating bread by default since I've been on SW and I feel a lot better for it, so I've decided just to go with it. It actually makes it easier for me to make better choices without explaining to people who don't know I'm on SW) I got rice without even thinking twice about it. Dinner was yummy and I was comfortable and awake and not all food coma'd afterwards. It wasn't at all a hardship to say no and I really enjoyed what I had. I feel like yesterday I had a really healthy relationship with food.

It was a bit odd, my friends don't know I'm on SW, but they do know I'm losing weight and obviously saw me making better choices and one of them reacted very, very strangely. I'm pretty sure that that's her issues with food and weight coming into play and is one of the reasons I don't make a big deal about it, but it's strange to have that in my face quite so obviously, quite so quickly. It really did reinforce that, actually, I wasn't being "saintly" or "depriving myself" I was happy and comfortable and doing what felt best because I didn't feel at all defensive about it, and I didn't feel like I needed to make any kind of point when we were all trying on clothes that I'm getting smaller, it's just how it is, it's not a great big deal because it's not hard :D

Today's food
Breakfast
Lemon Juice in hot water S Free
VLF Fromage Frais Free
Frozen Berries S Free

Am Snack
Plums S Free
Activia Cherry Snackpot Free

Lunch
Saurkraut S Free
Diet Coke Free
Tomato Speed Soup:
Onions S Free
carrots S Free
Tomatoes S Free
Passata S Free
cabbage S Free
Peppers S Free
Chilli Free

PM Snack
3*scan bran (oat) 3/5 HExB
3* Laughing cow light 3/5 triangles HExA
Kiwi Fruits S Free

Dinner
1 1/4 Quorn sausages Free
3 * thin bacon medallions Free
Baked Beans Free
Eggs Free scrambled with billions of
Peppers S Free

Supper
2*scan bran (oat) 2/5 HExB
2* Laughing cow light 2/5 triangles HExA
Plum S Free
Pickled Onion Monster Munch 10Syns (and worth every single one)

Most of my afternoon snack was supposed to be lunch, but the soup's really filling :D. I find I do best with structured, regular, snacks like that, so mini meal at fourish it is. :)

Utterly STUFFED from dinner (eyes bigger than stomach!) but did 20minutes (from 40 "game time") Dancing and 19minutes Wii Fit + training and it reckns that's about 272KCals (I'm knackered, but it feels good :D )

Last edited:
Sounds like your doing great so far hun!!

I too had a friend that acted very strangely when i started on slimming world and started losing weight. Like you said, i think its HER issue rather than mine!!! Its sad as ive lost nearly 40lbs now....and not once has she said "oh you look nice" or "oh have u lost weight?" :( :(. Shes big too, was always bigger than me and i guess maybe she resents me for suceeding when she hasnt?? xx

Hey Bubbles - thank you :D.

I think there has to be an element of that in it - especially if someone's not happy with their weight but hasn't been successful themselves. Me and this particular friend were about the same size when I started on SW, with me a little bigger in some clothes and now I'm a little smaller in some clothes, so.... I suppose it's a mixture of making them feel bad because we're no longer part of the "conspiracy" that makes it okay to be fat/eat chips&cake (obviously if you're not the only one doing it, it must be fine) so there's possibly some guilt coming from that and leaving them to be "the fat one"? I dunno, it's difficult - and you've lost such a lot that it must be disheartening that she's not said something to you (well done, btw!) - but it's ultimately not us. We're fab ;)

Hi wenchie! I'm 35 too and started (back) on 11th jan I've only lost 10lb so far since going back but over 3 stone in total. I've still got a long way to go, would like to lose another 3 stone plus. We're in the right place for motivation I think :)

Hey Trixie - 3st 10 is fantastic (heck, 10lbs is two pounds more than the average human head and I suspect SW is a bit easier than decapitation.... ;)) - I love the support that's available here, and here's to us getting slim and fabby for our mid-30s :D

:wavey: Wenchie ..a nice new shiney diary to follow :woohoo:

Well done on being so focused :clap: -its difficult isn't it when you find it affecting relationships you have with folks :sigh:. I think thats is why I soooo want to be at target (or as near as damn it) before we move back to the UK - because then I won't have the pressure of "ooohh go on have one", "one won't hurt" - Once Im at target and have fitted clothes Im thinking it will be much easier to keep a grip :cross:
Its sad that your friend can't be happy for you -but that says a lot more about her than it does you ;)

Anyway -keep up the great work and have a lovely evening

Hey Capricon :D

I've been a bit spoiled - my best friend's a bloke (a skinny one to boot...) and he's incredibly supportive (admittedly this may be because he gets all the tempting food I don't want when we're out anywhere) and my family are very supportive, but yes, I'm not keen on the fact that this journey's going to need me to deal with friend's feelings on weight loss as well as my own (it's easier to be a bit selfish about it and it's not nice when you feel stymied in your pride :break_diet:) - presenting them with a done deal might well be easier (and fitted waistbands that are not attached to clothes a couple of sizes too big will have to help! :D).

Ah well - I think one just has to take the joy where it comes and take pride from within and all that...

Cheers!

Well, I slept like the dead last night after the Dance on Broadway (one of these days I'll have the breath to sing along to the "easy" ones too!) and WiiFit stuff, which was great - the exercise and lack of heartburn (which I had constantly pre SW) mean I'm sleeping better and more for less time in bed. SW:making my days longer :D.

It helped that it got me very warm, as well, because it's FREEZING here at the moment (and has been snowing all ruddy morning :mad:) so that saved me putting the heating on! :D

WI tonight, and I've had a really good week, but with higher use of syns (I've used at least 10 3 times this week and that's not like me) so I'm unaccountably nervous about it. I've also had a butt load of ss-ish tomato soup for lunches, so hopefully it'll all balance out? I dunno, should be a loss, anyway, and that's all good, but I know I get a bit frustrated when it's a wee 1/2lb until I process it, at least. /waffle ;)

Anyway, today's food (I'll edit in as I eat meals and I'll add my Wii-ing later, too)

Breakfast
Lemon Juice in hot water S Free (SS)
VLF Fromage Frais Free (which actually froze in the tub and turned into something like frozen yogurt, thanks to the:)
Frozen Berries S Free

Am Snack
Plums S Free

Lunch
Saurkraut S Free
Diet Coke Free
Tomato Speed Soup:
Onions S Free
carrots S Free
Tomatoes S Free
Passata S Free
cabbage S Free
Peppers S Free
Chilli Free

Dinner
98%FFSNoodles Free

Supper
50g S&V peanuts 15syns
350ml Skim Milk HExA
HiFi Delux bar HExB

So, a green day but only one set of HExs. Post WI treat was the peanuts (weighed out and savoured ;))

Going to the supermarket on the way home today (I'm very motivated to buy better when it's just before WI :p) so not a clue what's for dinner; I'll have a look and see what's nice at the fish counter, maybe, and I'll be buying all the vegetables anyway :D.

No Wii-ing today, was so COLD and tired when I came back from WI I pretty much just ate and went straight to bed!

Last edited:
Thanks Trixy! :)

Another 2lbs gone last night :bliss: so I can now legit tell people I've lost over a stone (not that it's something I talk about a lot, but in case... ;)).

There was a lot of discussion in group last night about bigger losses and slow and steady and things (I know that actually, I'm pretty quick, but I had a couple of weeks at 1/2lb so I feel like I relate and I've never come close to being slimmer of the week) and (I dunno, this feels a bit mean, but it wasn't about slagging people off, it was a small, quiet conversation to make someone else feel better about the fact she's chipping away 1/2 or 1 lb at a time) there are a bunch of people that joined at about the same time (January guilt ;)) several of whom have been slimmer of the week, and/or had big losses, etc, but both me and this girl have lost more than any of them, over the same time because we've been consistent and not had any gains - so we might not have had the basket of goodies but ultimately we have the bigger reward - not least because by being consistently on plan all the time it just becomes a habit, rather than a chore.

Big personal victory today: I'm in a course and the trainer kept passing out her bag of Starbursts ("to keep us all going") and I just passed the bag on and didn't have any :D

Anyway, today's food: Green Day

Breakfast
Lemon juice in hotwater S Free
VLF Fromage Frais Free
Frozen berries S Free
Plums S Free

Snack
Activa fatfree cherry (multipack one) Free
Red Grapes S Free (YUM!)

Lunch
Diet Coke Free
Sauerkraut S Free
2 Scanbran oat 2/5 HExB
2 LCL Triangles 2/5 HExA
Spicy Tomato Soup:
tomatoes S Free
passata S Free
cabbage S Free
peppers S Free
Onions S Free
Chilli Free

Snack
Red Grapes S Free (OMG, So GOOD!)
Activa fatfree cherry (multipack one) Free
Kiwi Fruit S Free

Dinner
1/2 Can Stagg Garden Chilli 1 Syn
Chicken 98%ffsnoodles Free

Snack
30g S&V peanuts 9Syns
HiFi Delux HExB
350Ml Skim milk HExA

Capricorn lent me some movitation ;) and I got back into the Dance on Broadway (30minutes actual dance time) and did some yoga&balance on the WiiFit+ For a total of 41minutes and 322KCals

Last edited:
I'm really pleased with myself for getting up and moving :character00115: - I really didn't want to when 8pm rolled around (I'm too hungry when I get in from work to not eat, then I need to digest dinner, so it's late) but I feel SO much better for doing it (and warm, which is good and cheaper than putting the heat on!) :D

:bunnydance: My behind's a wee bit achy (mostly from the yoga, I think, but possibly from some unseemly shoogling of it when I was dancing...) but I'm really very chuffed indeed that I've done it:wee:

A friend of mine died last night - she had cancer and it was looking like it was probably terminal, but it was still way too soon. She was 38.

Life is just entirely too short and full of things we can't control, and we owe it to ourselves and our loved ones to live the best life we can, every moment we draw breath.

Love you B, miss you more that seems possible and I'm wearing the boots and kicking the ass out of life now that you've handed them on.

Right, utterly rotten start to the day, but still on plan and intending to stay that way.

Breakfast
Lemon Juice in hot water S Free
Total 0% Free

Frozen Berries S Free

Lunch
Saurkraut S Free
Diet Coke Free
Tomato Speed Soup:
Onions S Free
carrots S Free
celery S Free
Tomatoes S Free
Passata S Free
cabbage S Free
Peppers S Free
green lentils Free
Chilli Free

Snack
Red Grapes S Free

Dinner
3*mini babybel light HExA
1/2 Cn Stagg Veggie Chilli 1 Syn
Brocolli S Free
Mange Tout S Free
Tomato etc Pasta in Sauce Free

Supper
2* Fibre Plus Bars 2* HExB
350ml Skim Mill; HExA
30g S&V Peanuts 9 Syns

Hopefully the superspeedy soup won't make my training this afternoon too interesting! :D EDT: It didn't, it just made me *aherm* super regular. It was lovely though - filling and tasty & I think the lentils make all the difference to its texture. It's easy osy to make and seems to be quite good for my innards so it's a make again.

I've put in quite a lot for supper, but I might not eat it all. I'll have at least my milk & 1 bar, but other than that I'll see (I couldn't finish my dinner, so....)

Wii Fit 45mins 268KCal - which was seriously hard work (I'm sore and down) but I'm ruddy glad I did it.

Last edited:
Hi Wenchie

Firstly -a belated :happy096: on your latest loss

Then I am so sorry to hear about your friend -cancer is a b*tch isn't it, my sis was 42 and it just seems so unfair...
I LOVE that you are "wearing the boots to kick life in the as*", I decided when we lost sis that I now needed to live life a bit more like she did ... she grabbed it by the throat and went at full throttle, Im the quiet one -she was the loud n proud one ...
Its fitting that we both get fit n healthy in their honour and experience things for them!!

Well done on getting up early and getting moving -I find it easier at "silly o'clock" too -If Im not fully awake I figure I don't feel it as much :p
Anyway -I will get off again for now - you take care and be kind to yourself ;)

Cheers Capricorn,

It's such a horrible disease and it's never fair when someone's story ends too early; I think it helps to postively make something good come out of it - to take the motivation from their loss.

Is your trek connected with your sister? I think I want to start thinking about doing something like that - squeeze every last drop of positive I can for her, she was very determined and postive herself, it seems very fitting to carry that on.

I'm kind of hoping that eventually my body'll get up and do the exercise while my brain's still asleep (my co-ordination couldn't be any worse anyway!) ;)

Hi Wenchie

Yep -we lost my sis to ovarian cancer - she was fighting to the end and determined that she was going to get better -she kept so much quiet -but it was her illness and we just dealt with it HER way, and the trek is for the "women for women" charity -which is run by Dr. Robert Winston and focuses on all things like womens cancers, birth defects, fertility issues etc.
The reason I settled on this particular trek was firstly because a lot of them are bike ones and I don't want painful nether regions :p -Id rather have sore feet :Dand the actual trek is over my sisters birthday and my mums birthday (she had a mastectomy about 18 months ago) -so really I couldn't "not" do it could I !!!! -its not until the 17-27 September NEXT year if you feel like joining in ;) - I hope to be able to sit on top of some hill in Nepal on her birthday and be able to say "look sis I did it" -both about the trek and getting the weight off like I promised...
Im sure your friend will be proud of you no matter what you choose to do-think of her when you need a little extra strength Im sure it will push you forward -I swear I really don't think I would have made all these changes if it wasn't for thinking about my sis when I get weak moments..

Anyway My lovely -keep up the great work -we are getting there

Good call on the nether regions! We're designed for walking, and I think you'll get to see more of the landscape that speed, too. What a truly wonderful way to honour your sister :)

I've been doing some googling, and if nothing else I'm going to sign up for next year's 5k - once the weather's better& the days longer I'll start looking at the couch to 5k plan.

Thank you SO much for taking the time with me today - you have no idea how much it's meant.

Morning anyone who's reading. It's a lovely sunny morning here and there's even a wee bit of heat in the sun which definitely helps make me feel a bit brighter today.

I've spoken to my late friend's husband and some mutual friends and there's been some lovely remembering going on amongst the tears. It's going to be a bit raw for a while yet, but I've done some googling and I think I'm going to sign up to next year's 5k when that opens up in her honour. The thought of doing that honestly terrifies the life out of me, but it feels like the least I can do.

Today's Food (I'll edit as I go along, craved noodles for tea, so it turned into a green day)

Breakfast
Hot water and Lemon S Free
Total 0% Free
Frozen mixed berries S Free

Snack
Pear S Free
Activia Cherry FF Free

Lunch
Sauerkraut S Free
Diet Coke Free
Tomato Spicy Dyno Soup:
Tomatoes S Free
Passata S Free
Green Lentils Free
Celery S Free
Cabbage S Free
Peppers S Free
Carrots S Free
Shallots S Free

Snack
Pear S Free
Activia Cherry FF Free

Dinner
98%FF SNoodles Free
2*Ryvita HExB
3* mini Babybel light HExA
30g S&V Peanuts 9Syns (which is an odd pudding but there you go!)

Supper
HiFi Ba HExB
350ml Skim Milk HExA

I'm heading out at lunchtime (because it won't be pouring or below freezing ;)) and I'll take a hike up the hill to the faraway shops for dental floss :D

Last edited:
Tomato Dyno Soup

My latest batch of soup is gorgeous, and is an amalgam of the Dyno Rod and Super Speedy Super Spicy tomato soup in the recipes bit, so I thought I'd note the recipe here for prosterity.

• 3 Shallots (or 2 medium onions), Diced
  • 2 Medium Carrots, Diced
  • 3 Sticks of Celery, Destrung and Chopped
  • 1 Can Tomatoes
  • 1 Tetra (500g) Passata
  • 1 Can Green Lentils (no salt or sugar added ones, or two large handfuls cooked as per packet)
  • 2 Red Peppers, Diced
  • 1/4-1/2 White Cabbage, Chopped
  • 1/2pt Boiling Water
  • Large Pinch Chilli Flakes
Saute the Shallots, Carrots & Celery in frylight with a pinch of salt until softened but not coloured.

Bung in all the other Ingredients and bring to boil (lid on) then simmer (lid on) for about 40minutes.

Cool a bit and blend until smooth. Freezes well, nukes like a dream, tastes yummy. Very, very easy. I tend to add some salt to it to taste, but it's still nice without if you're looking to keep that low.

Back