Hello from a newbie

zombiegirl

Hi everyone.

I am almost at the point of starting lighterlife (My first meeting is at 6pm tonight) and I am excited to get started. I have done Cambridge in the past and lost a lot of weight, but have gained a lot of it back over the last few years. This is mostly due to stress, and the usual emotional eating problems that seem to crop up over and over. I decided to try LL because of the counselling in the hopes it would help me keep it off this time.
It is the right time for me to try again I think, I have been studying for my PhD for as long as I can remember and after a very stressful 12 months (during which the weight came back) I have now finished and can focus properly on losing weight again.

Reading this forum is going to be a big help I think, and I am sure I will be posting on here in my high/low moments if you all don't mind!

I can't wait until this time next week when I am getting my first weigh in!! I am hoping to have made significant progress before my holiday in September. I think I have about 6 or 7 stone to get rid of but I can't think about that all in one go, so I am setting my own target of 3 stone, then I can re-set it from there.

Heya and welcome=) (very much loving your name!) I hope as i'm typing you're having a great and motivating first meeting for LL! I've only been on the programme for 3 weeks, but can tell the difference in myself already, i'm happier, more confident and just feel so positive=) good luck on your journeyxxx

All the best with your journey :) x

hey Zombie. Well done on finishing your PHD. That is impressive. if you have that much dedication and the ability to stay the course then LL should be a breeze for you. it is ten times easier than several years at university!

I found that being able to concentrate on myself and LL was best in the first few weeks. I was careful not to have too much in the way of social outings, work to do or anything which might stress me out. Try to focus on yourself and you'll find it easierto cope. Tat and getting on here to see who is about!

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your welcome and support. I had a fabulous meeting last night - I feel really motivated. The group members were great, and the counsellor seems to really know her stuff.
I hope I can do as well as some of them in the group who look amazing.
I have bought a journal on the C's recommendation so I can note down my thoughts after the group and what she was saying, an keep a log of how I deal with stressful situations.
University was hard, but at least I had my old friend Haribo to fall back on! This is going to be a completely different kind of challenge.
(As one little motivator, I told my husband I would likely feel very cold, so he has dug out my Primark fleece onesie and washed and dried it ready for my shivers!)

I never felt cold, but then I am always hot. The girls in the office were hoping that I would feel a bit colder. I would happily open the windows in the middle of winter!

I feel cold a lot of the time but to be honest it didn't start until about 8 weeks in to the programme. Lots of nice hot drinks/warm clothes and and sad blanket in the living room!

Well, day 2 and going OK. I have a headache and I feel tired but I suspect that is more from cutting out the Diet Coke than getting into Ketosis. I will get through it as I really want this. I have strong images in my head of where I want to be - just 'moments' I will enjoy without any fear of feeling fat. Roll on the next 6 months!

Drink loads of water to combat the headaches. I still get headaches if I haven't been drinking enough even now. Also "the more you drink, the more you shrink". However don't overdo it as it can be dangerous.

You should fill in your details under USERCP so we can see your targets. (only if you want to of course!)

Thanks nzmegs I will do that today. Well, day 3 and the headache has more or less gone, it was really bad last night and paracetamol did nothing! Ended up going to bed early which seems to have helped.
For the first time today I am really hungry. Hopefully I am getting near to ketosis now, what day do most people find that they are there?

I know it is hard, but hunger is actually a good sign. it means your body is starting to use your body reserves for energy rather than the food you have eaten.

I found that after around 3 days I was feeling less hungry and more able to control my need to for food. From then on, any need for food has been just out of habit.

Well, filled in my user CP and it is a scary read! I have put my goal BMI down at 29 as 25 just seems too far away, plus I have been at 29 before and been really happy with my size so that feels, at the moment, like a strong goal to aim for. As I get close I can alter it.
It sounds such a lot to lose though, it is a bit offputting!
Day 4 today, doing OK but a little tired. Hungry again but hopefully that will have gone by tomorrow. I am looking forward to my weigh in on Mon - just need to get through the weekend first!

I think that a BMI of 29 is a sensible initial goal. remember that even losing 10% of your current body weight will significantly improve your health.

All you can do is set yourself small achievable goals. maybe a stone at a time or a size at a time. Be proud of each of those acheivements as they will get you closer to your goal.

Maybe you could have a chat with some of the other people on here who have lost larger amounts of weight. I bet they have some good strategies for keeping up your motivation.

You will do great over the weekend. I find the weekend is easier as I am usually doing more. I work from home, so food is on my doorstep Monday to friday. I am home alone and vulnerable to snacking. But somehow I have managed not to for weeks now. It just proves it is possible.

Hi ZG,
Good plan to set a reasonable goal and know that you can re-evaluate when nearer. I have alot to lose and I take it one week at a time and one stone at a time. Its amazing how you get to weigh in and it seems to motivate you to get through the next week. And you just keep going and before you know it the weeks really add up.

Yep, looking at it all in one go is very daunting. I have spent the weekend trying not to think about it! Weigh in tomorrow night, so fingers crossed for a good loss. I have never been so strict with myself as I have this week - no Diet Coke even (which is my big downfall) and absolutely nothing forbidden. I will post on here how I get on!

Good luck zombiegirl!!!

Hi, Zombiegirl. Well done on making it through week 1! I bet you have a great loss. I'm looking forward to seeing your post after weigh in tomorrow :).

12lb! well done Zombiegirl.

I'm stayig off the scales until Sat, I'm just hoping to lose something.

You must feel fab!

If a 12lb loss in 7 days doesn't make you wanna be 100% then i don't think anything will lol.

You should be very proud of yourself. Heck, we should all be proud of ourselves.

Keep it up x

Back