Hello out there!

Grover

Hi there!
This blogging malarkey is entirely new to me, but having found forums and diet diaries absolutely invaluable since starting my Cambridge journey at the end of March, I figured it was probably time I started one of my own. Don't know how it works, don't know how other people find it, not even 100% sure how to post. So I suppose I just have a go and see what happens! You live and learn!

So I made a difficult decision at the end of March. The decision to stop kidding myself about my weight. To stop pretending being the fat one didn't bother me. To stop shopping only on plus size websites and being entirely restricted in terms of style of clothes by my size. To recognise that the reason I had missed out on quite a few dream jobs might, in part, be looking large, unhealthy and liable to disappear on the sick (in spite of not actually having had a sick day in over 3 years).
In other words, to acknowledge the elephant in the room. Said elephant being. .. well, me.
I have no idea how my weight has got quite so out of control. I mean, sure, there's been a fair bit of secret eating. Yes, I've allowed myself to become more and more unfit. And ok, I've been eating my feelings for some time. So... There's actually no mystery at all is there?
So on 31st March I made an appointment with a consultant and was horrified to discover that my weight was considerably more than the "18, 18 and a half" that I'd guessed at. The scales read 19 stone 8 lbs. Revolting!
I had a long conversation with the lovely Donna, stocked up on products and set off home, feeling positive, nervous and energised. The adventure starts here!
Now just over 8 weeks down the line and things are going great. This is simultaneously the easiest and hardest diet I've ever done. I've astonished myself with the strength and determination I've shown, even when faced with two concurrent weeks with 1lb losses in spite of being 100%. I've effortlessly given up drinking. I've found myself breezing through the 3 + litres of water that's recommended. I've even been able to preare all my favourite weaknesses (bacon sandwiches, toast, mashed potatoes) for my husband and sons without feeling the need to eat any myself.
And, most significantly, in 8 weeks I have already shifted 30lbs. I've gone down 2 dress sizes. My cheekbones are back. I've got a new (dream) job, starting September.
Yes, there's a long way to go. About another 7 stones in truth. And I may not always feel this positive and proud.
But I certainly feel as though I've made a blummin good start!
Happy bank holiday to you, lovely people (she says, having no idea if this will ever be read)...

Spent part of the morning at my new school. Honestly believe I would not have got the job without the newfound confidence, pride and self belief this diet has given me...
Such an exciting prospect to move after nearly 20 years at my current school. This year is all about the transformation. I'm excited and delighted and terrified all in one! A bar for lunch and then an afternoon revision session at my current school with year 11. Will also get to catch up with my head of department, an entirely awesome individual who I will miss more than I care to think about.
Feeling strong and motivated today. Some days I can really see the change. Today is one of those days.
Happy Tuesday!

Started an accountability challenge on Facebook this morning. Have found the best support forum and the admins have organised us into teams for a 30 day competition. No idea what's coming but have been promised tasks, challenges and daily updates. Exactly what I need to keep me on the straight and narrow.
In other news, brilliant theatre visit last night to see King Lear. And hardly even a thought for the interval ice cream. I've got this...

Welcome! There is a cambridge section here too where my diary is kept. Nice to see some more faces! And I'm guessing a fellow teacher. I'm in between contracts atm hope find something for September.

How are you finding it during the school day? Is it enough to keep you going?

Well done on sticking to it go you!

Nadia x

Hi Nadia!
I've been enjoying your blogs and comments. Yes I'm a teacher. Luckily I have v supportive colleagues although they're all feeders So I've had to dodge a lot of cake.
If I keep busy I find the days are easier than at home as I'm distracted. I tend to get set up for the afternoon/mark a couple of books/have a little tidy before I go to the staff room, so my tetra seems to last longer. We only have a 35 minute lunch break so it's not so bad (although at my new school I will get an hour so I guess I will have to find some new distraction techniques!)
The only real Cambridge issue I have at work is with the toilet. We have a zero tolerance policy for letting the kids out of lessons for the loo and yet I'm having to dash down the corridor between lessons. I guess it's the downside of drinking so much water

Weigh day today.
It's funny how no matter how good I've been (and actually I've astonished myself on this diet by sticking with it 100% every single day. Honest!) I'm still really nervous on weigh day. Maybe because I had a couple of really slow weeks where I only lost a pound. That was so tough because this diet seems way too hard for only a pound a week. Obviously you then need to tell yourself to average out your losses and look at the bigger picture and yadayadayada... But there's still that little voice inside going "but only a blummin pound?!"
So I've been v virtuous. I sat at the table last night at my sister in laws while everyone tucked into a mahoosive Chinese takeaway and wine, taking tiny forkfuls of my tikka rice and sipping water. I've smelled more barbecue food over the last few days than I care to think about. But I'm still feeling strong!
Just hope I get a good loss this afternoon. Come on, you weight loss gods. I've been good. Now you need to be kind!

35 lbs, not 3lbs. 3lbs would be RUBBISH!
Anyone know how I can update my ticker? I can edit it on the ticker site but can't make it change on here?!

The ticker seems to have done its own thing while I wasn't looking. Looks like it just needs to be left alone...
Last day of the half term holiday for me today. Enjoying a bit of time to myself as I've one son out doing his run and the other at nando's meeting the team he'll be doing NCS with this summer. Catching up with Bates motel on the skybox and relaxing. Back to the grind on Monday...
Just about to have my first product of the day, love the smoothies!

35lbs in 9 weeks is awesome! Hopefully I will do as well as you I bet you are chuffed. Are you noticing any differences yet?

Last day of half term here as well registered with a sup ply agency now so hopefully a busy half term for me - I miss being in a classroom!

Have you tried freezing the Tetras? Honestly it's like ice cream, soooooooooooooooooooo good! It was an idea given to me on here.

You know Nandos used to really make my mouth water...I walked past one the other day and was like...Nope! Bleurgh! Could almost smell the carby greasy overload! Okay for teenage boys , I swear they develop hollow legs at the age of about 10.

Hope you enjoy your last day off!

Nx

Definitely seeing a difference! Down two dress sizes and people are starting to comment which is always lovely!
Hope you get some work soon. I admire people who do supply, it must be so tough going into different schools all the time and the kids are looking to take advantage. Guess there's more freedom though? Are you looking for something more long term or are you happy with supply? And what's your subject?
I am definitely adding some extra tetras to next week's order so I can experiment with ice cream: it's always been one of my weaknesses! At the minute I just use tetras for work as they're easier.
Weird but true: I've never been to nando's! Probably a good thing as I love chicken. My 16 year old can literally eat and eat and eat and stay skinny as a rake. Sickening! My younger son who's 13 has sadly inherited my tendency to chubble. He's playing a lot of rugby and running so looks brilliant now but had a bit of puppy fat until last year and I think will always have to be a bit careful. Sad that we pass this nasty stuff on.
Anyway how is your diet going?
Thanks for replying. This blog feels like a diary for me, but it's lovely to know someone is out there!
Xx

Bought a new Joe Brown's tunic top in a 20 last week (2 sizes smaller than my starting point).
It's baggy over my bust and hips. Delighted but also a bit devastated: it's new and I've only worn it once! Size 18 I'm coming for you...
#weightlossproblems

Good luck with your continuing journey on Cambridge, you are doing so well!! :D
Small losses happen with these diets, the 1lb per week thing... But then a week or two later the body stops holding on to it and there's a whoosh :) You will be losing fat every week, but it might not always show up on the scales... as the body may sometimes fill the now emptied fat cells with water to regulate the loss so that it's not too fast. The body is a funny thing! No matter what the scales say, so long as you've been 100% - you are on the right track. :)

Good luck with your continuing journey on Cambridge, you are doing so well!! :D
Small losses happen with these diets, the 1lb per week thing... But then a week or two later the body stops holding on to it and there's a whoosh :) You will be losing fat every week, but it might not always show up on the scales... as the body may sometimes fill the now emptied fat cells with water to regulate the loss so that it's not too fast. The body is a funny thing! No matter what the scales say, so long as you've been 100% - you are on the right track. :)

Good advice, thank you! It was really tough keeping my motivation those two weeks, but I've been rewarded since with two weeks of 5lb losses, which is brilliant. I'll be able to remember this when and if things slow down again.
How about you, how are things going? X

Lovely lie in this morning. First born just brought me a hazelnut coffee in bed (this is recognised as bribery for some playstation time but we're going with it)
Loving the Beanies coffee range, they taste naughty like a cheeky starbucks but without the calories. Husband's birthday tomorrow and because he's so lovely he is forgoing the usual meal out tradition of birthdays in our house. He's a good 'un that's for sure... He and the boys will be having a takeaway instead. This whole thing would be so much harder without a supportive partner and children. I'm so lucky!
Happy with the birthday haul of gifts this year although I always think his presents are pretty similar to what we get the kids: a PS4 game, clothes, music, books... Still I'm sure he'll be happy!
Quiet day planned today. Finishing off the washing, bit of a tidy round, maybe a film with my three boys tonight. I do love a weekend!
Happy girl this morning :)

Aww your husband sounds so sweet, some people's partners when they're on a diet aren't very supportive at all, it's nice when your other half understands and tries to do as much as they can to minimise the stress. :) Even though I'm not on a VLCD anymore, my partner is embracing the eating healthy thing with me, he even eats healthy at work! (though he has some weight to shift as well, but I don't think he really want to see it).

I love the Beanies coffee range! You've reminded me to go buy some! :D I was the biggest fan of the Amaretto blend, it's so tasty. I didn't even realise they had a hazelnut one, no one around me stocks the full range. Looks like I'm off to Amazon to do some shopping :p

Hope you'll have a wonderful weekend x

They actually do a nutty hazelnut and cinnamon hazelnut, both delicious. I got what they call a "stash box" from the Beanies website with 9 varieties and apart from the vanilla which is a bit like medicine the others are all delicious. Enjoy your weekend too xx

Back