Hello there! *waves*

Bagpuss1

800cal/keto
Heya,

VLCD returner, not necessarily a 'new year new me' thing, more of a 'got that part of the year out of the way!' thing :) When I signed up to the site yesterday, I really enjoyed reading the WeMITTS section. Felt a bit at home, here. My targets are interim and flexible, I'm also counting in kg as I am less emotional about those numbers - I can be a bit more objective about it.

Following a tiresome ankle injury last year, I will be working on upping my activity a bit too but it's going to be a bit of a crawl.

Anyway, it's a pleasure to read some of your stories.

Have a good day. :)

Glad you found somewhere Bagpuss, i look forward to reading your posts

Hiya Bagpuss, lovely to see you here - which VLCD are you doing?

I've just ordered a week's worth from New You, so would welcome any/all tips!

Hiya Bagpuss, lovely to see you here - which VLCD are you doing?

I've just ordered a week's worth from New You, so would welcome any/all tips!

Heya! Slim 'n' Save, but (and here's a secret) most of them are made by the same manufacturer, and just packaged for the different brands ;) So we're all on the same stuff, at the end of the day.

tips! 1) it works, but 2) it's hard. Especially the first week. There will be a lot of 'hanging in there', feeling a bit rough while you get used to ketosis and the process, but what helps me is to do as much reading about VLCDs, ketosis and low carbing generally as you can. Keep paracetamol (or painkiller of choice) on standby, and don't make too many major plans. I have no kids and a mostly self-sufficient husband, so I don't know how anyone who still has to cook copes. But astoundingly, people do.

But... the results are good. I really needed a fast start, and plan this for a month to start with, and will see 1) how I get on, and 2) how I feel.

Oh that's great advice thanks Bagpuss - but why the painkillers? Great first week's loss too hun, well done. Hilarious that it's all marketing at the end of the day eh? :)

I'm mostly worried about being constantly HUNGRY so have ordered shiritake noodles and glucomannan capsules to fill me up so I don't turn into an evil snarling b*tch - at least, no more than usual :D. Also going to add low cal veg to the evening meals so I keep my greens up.

Oh that's great advice thanks Bagpuss - but why the painkillers? Great first week's loss too hun, well done. Hilarious that it's all marketing at the end of the day eh? :)

I'm mostly worried about being constantly HUNGRY so have ordered shiritake noodles and glucomannan capsules to fill me up so I don't turn into an evil snarling b*tch - at least, no more than usual :D. Also going to add low cal veg to the evening meals so I keep my greens up.

Headaches! I get them at the drop of a hat anyway, but it's not an unknown side effect of adapting to ketosis. And for a while, as your body adapts to it's new fuel source it can temporarily cause things, like hydration, to be out of kilter.

The low cal (or more importantly, low carb) veg is a good idea. Sometimes the VLCD meals can go through me a bit to start with (sorry, TMI, but true) so a bit of bulking out helps. Also, given that it has been shown that there is no additional benefit to dropping below 800 cals there is leeway.

And as for the hunger, that's an interesting one. That's the 'hard but worth it for the results' bit. And interestingly, there are several aspects to it. The not eating ' physiological hunger' comes and goes, and is variable - believe it or not it's the easier bit, and lessens a lot with time. There are ways to distract yourself from it until the next meal. Then there is the cravings, your body crying out, withdrawal like, for easy carbs and glucose that you've fed it on for years which isn't hunger per se, but for me is the hardest bit. I could chew a door right now but it's not stomach hunger, which is why I have spent a lot of time on the net this past few days. This also passes, but is the bit that tends to cause people to wave the little white flag early. Therefore it's interesting to work out for yourself which one you're experiencing, as you deal with them in different ways.

Also, I'm a bit fuzzy headed and have been cold, also known 'first week' 'getting used to it' side effects, which had better subside soon as they'll start making my job, which I go back to tomorrow, a bit of a damn challenge. but by 8am tomorrow I'll have bigger things to worry about...

Hi Bagpuss, i did not know VLCD put you in ketosis (probably the one diet plan I haven't tried except for Slimfast way back in the day) have you tried electrolytes for the headaches? I've seen them recommended for keto flu (while you are fat adapting) and I take them you can get just tablets or i use the zero calories ones that you make into drinks - I mean they don't have as much electrolytes in as tablets but I like them better than sugar free squash which keeps my water uptake up.

Yep for VLCD and Ketosis - that's always been the main purpose of them, really. You get the ketosis, but in the process burn only your own fat reserves, rather than that you've eaten as well. they're designed to give you only enough nutrients to get by, while you run on your own fuel. Can be a bit brutal, which is why people quite often don't last long, but it's the most scientifically researched weight-loss method going. (Unlike slimfast, which was just food avoidance for two meals out of three ;) Unrelated apart from the fact it came in powder form.)

I do have electrolyte soluable tablets as well. But for the first couple of days I had headaches too, so just wanted to give an advance warning of the possibility, as I was giving tips :)

FYI I tried the glucomannan tablets today 30 mins before a shake and can't say I noticed any difference, I could still hear "hungry!" going off in my head - but I do know that the konjac noodles do fill you up, so maybe consider adding them to the evening meal?

If it's going off in your head, is it habit, or psychological, rather than physical? Just devil's advocating... Especially if you started the shakes today? is it exacerbated by anxiety about not eating?

Also, if you do go for the noodles, aim for 'just enough', rather than 'full'. A VLCD will sometimes leave you intermittently a bit hungry (it is not the easiest route), but it comes and goes, is a natural state and and it's not harmful - we were meant to be occasionally hungry while we hunt down and prepare the next wilderbeest, or whatever. We're so used to being 'full' that I think we (as a 21st century population, generally) panic when we're not. Sorry, getting philosophical. ;)

I was rather hungry when I got home, but then realised I had only had about 350 cals all day, so it was no wonder...

If you haven't done already - early night? :)

Hey Bagpuss! Looking forward to reading about your journey! I'm not even doing vlcd or keto, but just cutting the amount of sugar and carbs this week has given me a headache!

I agree, there are different types of hunger. At work the sandwich trolley (that sells cakes, chocolate and crisps) comes around between 10:15 and 10:45. Everyday at work at around 10:15 I get "hungry". I usually give in and eat something, but this week I've worked out it's habit.

And then there's the boredom eating. Train was late this evening. I wasn't starving, but I was looking forward to my evening meal. But 45 minutes at the station with a WH Smith's and a Costa and I suddenly became extremely ravenous. I managed to resist and as soon as I was on the train I was fine again.

I've done Cambridge before and know what you mean about how people who have to cook for others cope! Don't think I could do it.

Anyways, hope sober Friday wasn't too bad. How's your weekend looking? At least you won't have a hangover tomorrow 😝

Anyways, hope sober Friday wasn't too bad. How's your weekend looking? At least you won't have a hangover tomorrow 😝

Not too bad, actually. Meeting a friend I've not seen for a while later today,and husband is out of the house tomorrow, so I'll be getting some extra work done in peace which watching some films I've recorded. Oh, and starting on knitting a Dr Who scarf for World Book Day...

And no, no hangover, not even fuzziness. Appear to have caught up with sleep a bit, still spitting feathers this morning, though... Ah! Coffee's just arrived. Good chap.

How's your weekend lining up ? :)

Ah have a lovely catch up with your friend :) I feel like I have a hangover, despite not drinking 😭😂
It was. :)

And sorry to read that, I had a fair bit of that in my first week, so I sympathise.

It was. :)

And sorry to read that, I had a fair bit of that in my first week, so I sympathise.

I've had a cold since NYE and thought I was over the worst of it yesterday, but woke up with stuffy head again today. Luckily it cleared once I was up and out and about!

How's your day been?

I've had a cold since NYE and thought I was over the worst of it yesterday, but woke up with stuffy head again today. Luckily it cleared once I was up and out and about!

How's your day been?

Ew! my sympathies, but glad it saw sense and disappeared.

Today was good, actually. I met with friend and their threenager, then pottered about town and went to a knitting group. (Yes, I am rock'n'roll, really, honest. ) Was going to be pointless going back home and going back out again, so decided to follow 'plan' (In short - 800cal High protein Low carb vegetarian) with what I could grab in town. Which actually was fine, doable, and nice to make a change.

Was good to catch up, and made a start on a new project. Ankle is noticeably better at stairs. I quite enjoyed pottering round town, now I don't get halfway round and decide 'ow'. Came home Made a salad, griddled vegetable and tofu based dinner, and continued knitting to Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

All in all a jolly good Saturday. :)

Sounds like a pretty great day! And I happen to think knitting is rock-'n'-roll! Wish I could do it, I'd absolutely love to learn! Annoyingly all the classes run during the working week. Feel free to send me some tips!

What are you knitting currently? Have you made many creations before?

What are you knitting currently? Have you made many creations before?

I mostly patchwork/sew and crochet, knitting is my least practiced craft - but a Dr Who scarf for World Book Day in March (I'm a teacher) isn't going to make itself... I'm swearing at it already.

As for tips - if nowhere does saturday workshops, then youtube all the way. :)

Back