hello!

puzzles

Hi there everybody! :angel09:(I am not sure what that is, but I like it lol!)

I just want to introduce myself and hopefully get to know some of you, if that's okay? I've been lurking for a while but now ready to say hello properly.

I'm 30 :( and throughout my late teens and 20s had the most God-awful relationship with food you can imagine. I barely cooked anything during that time. Basically, I either starved, or binged ... that was IT! I would literally eat nothing all day until 6/7pm and then decide - will I have a WW soup or will I binge ... and then start again the next day. My weight was up and down like a yo yo; I weighed 14 and a half stone (at my heaviest) and 8 and a half (at my smallest.) Crazy times.

In August 2009, just before I turned 29, I got seriously ill (it turned out to be strep throat but we all thought I was dying of swine flu! Lol!) and ended up in hospital and lost LOADS! But when I came out it was like something had clicked into place, I needed to eat because I needed to get strong. It wasn't a comfort thing, it was a survival thing, and, I ended up at 9 and a half stone and looked and felt more importantly, wonderful.

Alas, it didn't last and I got back to my old habits of starving/bingeing but then I got ill AGAIN, in october 2010 this time, and again I lost weight (10 and a half stone) and this time I decided to learn from my mistakes.

I have done well but it's creeping back on now and now I weigh 12 stone :( I'm a bit gutted but determined to lose it SENSIBLY - so here I am! :) My goal is 9 stone 6 lbs! xx

welcome! What weight-loss plan are you thinking of using to lose the weight?

For a proper food education that can last a lifetime, I highly recommend Weight Watchers propoints. Especially because you used to binge/starve yourself, the PP approach can help find a balance, teaching you what foods fill you up more but still allowing you scope for the naughty treat here and there that might prevent the binge. You would also get a 49 propoints weekly pot, so if it happens for you to binge, you might be inclined NOT to give up because you've stayed within points anyway.

Good luck with your journey, 9 stone 6 lbs, here you come :)

Thank you!

I'm finding Weight Watchers VERY confusing to be honest :( and although I joined, I just couldn't get to grips with it and realised I was counting calories anyway ... so I've continued with that. I aim for 1200 calories a day but to be honest most days it's more like 1300/1400 which I hope is still OK!

hi there, with WW you don't count calories but proteins, carbs, fat and fibre. It's more effective than counting calories because your body works harder to break proteins than carbs (so if you eat 300 cals of proteins and 300 cals of carbs, you'll only absorb, let's say, 160 cals with the proteins but 240 cals with the carbs...), and works harder to break proteins and carbs than fat (which is almost completely absorbed without much work required by your body, which means that out of 300 cals of fat your body would probably absorb 290-ish). Fibres are additions which in most cases don't add anything to your calories because they're almost totally eliminated as waste (your body can't syntetise insoluble fibres, so if you eat 300 cals of fibre, your body could absorb maybe 50 of them?). So the simple calorie-counting could make you eat less than you should of the essential nutrients. I am no dietitian and have just pull out figures out of my head without really having any statistics, but the thought behind it is how WW works with their new propoints. Have you read the "introducing the new propoints system" thread here on mini mini? I have worked very hard to try and make it understandable. If you need more help about things that are confusing to you give me a shout, I will do my best to explain to you as simply as I can how it works and how to make it work for you.

Back