Hells Belle's Xenical Diary

A couple of days late with this weekly update...don't know where my time is going these days?

Warning, its a long one...grab a cuppa and make yourself comfy! :D

Anyway...1 pound down this week....which is OK. I'd like to have seen more, but I'll happily take any loss on my scales...looking back over my diet for the previous 7 days, and it seems OK, so I can only conclude its all down to my laziness regarding water intake, and not being as disciplined regarding exercise.

Monday was spent in hospital (routine appointment, not an emergency!)
First up was my dietitian who I see every 2 months (and can chat on the phone to at any time if I'm having a crisis). She weighed me in at 300lbs, whereas my scales weighed me that morning at 295lbs...which is OK...at least now I know the margin of error for my scales (hers are calibrated regularly!), and as I use mine weekly, and only get to sit on hers every 2 months, I will continue to use the figures on my own scales for my weigh-ins. Also, my weigh in at home was in my jim-jams...and in her office I was fully clothed...not 5lbs difference I'm sure, but still.

Then after my appointment with her, I then headed to the ENT department, for my appointment with the consultant surgeon who's doing my op. And had a very interesting session there...which involved a conference call, in my presence, with both my dietician and my Endocrinologist...and the conclusion that they have now officially drawn is that I am, for definite, one of those 4%ers who actually gain weight whilst hyperthyroid, instead of more typically suffering dramatic weightloss, despite increased appetite.
So...they have decided to go ahead with the op now, regardless of how much I weigh...and the deadline for my pre-op consultation is 9 months (that's when I'll finally be put on the surgery waiting list - so fingers crossed could be on the operating table before march 2011...which is excellent news.
Not only because I will no longer feel like *such* a huge failure everytime I go into hospital and get weighed by the nurses in the ENT & Endo departments...who do absolutely nothing to hide their disdain and tut loudly as they update my patient records each time.
And secondly, because for the last 18 months I feel like my life has been on hold waiting for a decision on my surgery...initially they were adamant they wouldn't do it until I was below 200lbs, and now they have conceded that it just needs to be done, sooner rather than later, regardless of my weight.
Until I have this op we have virtually no control over my thyroid function, and I'm not allowed to start a family...so although its only a pin-prick in the far distance, I do finally feel there is some light at the end of the tunnel...rather than treading water, and spending another couple of years trying to shift weight that won't move, whilst the ticking of my body clock gets louder and louder until it finally gives up and I'm too old to realistically start a faimily.
I am so delighted to have finally had a definite decision from my endo regarding my status as one of the rare 4%ers - its something he has mentioned in the past, but previously refused to confirm it for definite. But it really does seem like the more I try and tickle my metabolism into working for me rather than against me, the more my thyroid fights back and suppresses my metabolism even more.

However, despite the relief of being recognised as a 4%er it doesn't let me off the hook...I still have to keep going, popping the blue pills, and watching my diet like a hawk...it just means my journey will be more difficult...and still the pressure is on to drop the weight, because despite the fact that they are now going ahead with my operation, regardless of my weight, I do also recognise that the heavier I am the harder it is for the anaesthetist, and the higher the risk for me....so it is in *my* own interests to get as much weight off as I can, and to get as 'heart-fit' as I can, before the anaesthetist comes at me with his cocktail of drugs... :eek:

I'm trying to walk every day (not just the daily dawdle with the dogs - but a proper, get puffing walk out)...but the Irish weather is so unpredictable its just not always possible.
I'm also trying to cycle more...in fact after my hospital appointments on Monday I drove down to the Shannon, and cycled for about an hour down the river path...felt great afterwards, really chuffed with myself! But cycling locally is reserved strictly for the brave, our local lanes are populated with speeding local lads in their rice-racers, of half blind monks from the local monastery who probably don't have driving licences but who are generally ignored by the local Gardai...despite going out decked in all the hi-viz gear I can find, and looking like some safety fanatic I've had my pedals clipped a couple of times in the last few weeks...so am now limiting my cycling to when I have the time to drive out and find a properly designated cycling trail off the road...or when I'm out bikejoring with my dogs.
So, yesterday I purchased a Nintendo Wii and Wii Fit Plus....I collect it tomorrow...and I just hope I'll be disciplined enough to do it daily.
Would welcome comments from any of you guys regarding the use of Wii Fit to help keep you fit and get the weight off...have absolutely no idea what to expect, but both my GP and my Dietitian have recommended it.

I also really need to get on top of my water intake though, I truly feel that is the key!

Oh, and as of Monday, I'm 10lbs down from my start weight of 305lbs...so that's the first part of my personal 10 x 10 in 2010 Mission done! Yay!!! :cool:

Blimey....that was a long post...almost a stream of consciousness spewing from my keyboard! <blush> If you've got this far, thank you x

Phew indeed! It's all been happening at your end, hasn't it? Good news about the 4% thing and the surgery, that will give you something to aim for even though it might be in the distance! Whereabouts do you live? (My Father grew up on the banks of the Shannon :D) Sounds like you are getting the exercise under control. I also have Wii Fit, I tend to stick with the aerobic exercises so I do rhythm parade, cycling, jogging, kung foo, boxing, step etc but not all at once usually! I must say I really do enjoy it and most of the time it doesn't feel too much like exercise and more like good fun! I hope you enjoy it and good luck with the diet and the Wii Fit,

KB x

Hi KB

Thanks for reading and replying :D

Sadly I don't live near the Shannon, I'm over in Co Tipp...but I attend the hospital in Limerick, so I nipped down the back of the University campus, and headed down the river path on my bike :D
Whereabouts is your Dad from?

Have been trying to grab a bargain Wii fit & console on Ebay for a while...and finally won one last night. I'm collecting it tomorrow and can't wait! Feel like a kid at Christmas wanting to play with her new toy!

Following up to last week's poached-eggs-tango-drama....it seems it was the BBQ after all...have had poached eggs a couple of times since, and all is well, no tango! :D
Can't think what at the BBQ might have triggered it, I thought I was so good...but will have to be extra cautious next time!

OK so I'm up 1 lbs this week....but actually I'm delighted with that.

This weekend just passed was going to be a bad one, so I deliberately went off the pills from Friday morning to reduce any potential side effects...which were thankfully minimal! Back on them this morning - Monday - of course, and back on track. ;)
But is it bad to say I actually enjoyed not having to be quite so strict with stuff yesterday...I didn't go stupid, don't get me wrong, I still made better decisions over stuff than I would have done a month ago...but it was nice not to be such a food-wierdo and have to tell my hostess that I couldn't eat anything (or only *tiny* portions) of the amazing food she had gone out of her way to prepare for us all!
(and I still managed to cycle 8 miles on Saturday...and couldn't believe how much easier it is now to cycle those distances now!)

Added to that its also TOTM...well I say TOTM, but I think its more accurate to just say 'That Time'.....because my cycles are *SO* wildly irregular (thyroid blah!), it can be anything from Time Of The Month to Time of....2 months, 6 weeks, 3 months and even fortnightly (!!! and yes, fortnightly cycles ARE utter hell!).....currently this is TimeOf...6 weeks...ho hum! :rolleyes:
Apologies to all if that's TMI for you <blush>

So to only be up 1 lb this week is pretty miraculous in my eyes!

Didn't get a chance to play with the Wii Fit Plus yet...as we had major telly traumas....our TV proving far too prehistoric and ancient to allow the Wii to work....got that sorted thanks to a good friend who recently upgraded her Home Ents system, and we saved her old TV from the recycling centre! Never mind the animal welfare work that hubby and I do...this weekend we did a bit of TV Welfare & Rescue! :D So I started Wii Fit Plus today too (works great for taking your mind off the crippling cramps!)...and I'm looking forward to seeing positive results & progress from supplementing my walking & cycling with the Wii :)

Well done on only minor damage and good luck with the Wii, it's great fun. Forgot to say my Dad is originally an Athlone man, but has lived most of his life up North.

Down 3 lbs this week...woo hoo!

Delighted with that...although I reckon its totally undeserved! :break_diet:

Knowing I was heading into the weekend from hell...with a friend's very messy birthday party on the Saturday night....and an almost-equally boozy night planned with another group of friends on the Friday night, before trying to act naturally in front of a tv camera crew on Saturday morning....meant that I chickened out and stopped the blue pills Thursday evening. Again, I tried to make the best decisions I could, but also knew I wouldn't be punished by over-doing it a little.

So I think my saving grace was Wii Fit Plus....oh how I love that! I did 40 mins each day all last week, and I truly think that is what made the difference and got me over the rocky road that was this weekend just gone.

Ramped it up to a 60 minute session today, and hope to sustain that each day this week....although this evening I'm definitely feeling those extra 20 minutes that I did today...so will go back to 40 mins of daily routines if I'm struggling.

The weather here today was utterly horrible.....cold, cold rain and nasty wind...the dogs didn't want to stay outside for any longer than necessary, and neither did I...so for days like today the Wii Fit Plus is *perfect*!!! Looks like the rest of week is going to be just as horrible, and the forecasters are even talking about snow...so I am delighted I broke the bank and forked out for it. The Wii will more than earn its money this week, that's for sure!

In other news I was kind of confused to receive an appointment letter this morning for the surgeon who's going to be operating on me...for the 8th April....10 days time!!!? I was under the impession that I wasn't going to be seeing him until December....so yikes, now I'm feeling my weight loss is inferior again, and he's going to tell me off for not being a Perfect 10, and tell me that he can't operate, blah blah blah....very curious to see what he says at that appointment, but also dreading it....I thought I had until December to get as much weight as I could off, before I hit the operating table...and now I'm not so sure what is going on at all?
Also had a job interview last Friday....I so badly need a job right now, and so desperately *want* the job I was interviewed for...so any weight loss I may (or may not) show next week will no doubt be due to the fact that I've been chewing my nails down to the knuckles with anxiety, waiting for their decision... :eek: I'm meant to be informed by the end of this week.

PS - Anyone else starting to notice a pattern on my weekends...? <blush> I really, really need to rein that in....whilst I seem to be getting away with it for now, I know its going to bite me in the arse at some point, and sooner than I think too!

Hi hells belle, just read through your diary, very interesting reading, congratulations on your weight loss so far. You certainly have some very strong goals to aim for. Everyone else has given such brilliant advice I can't think of much to add, other than it is more than worth trying really hard to get all that extra water in as much as you can - as for your weekend hitches, I'm the same, and one way I combat it is to keep a bottle of water in my handbag, I just keep sipping it all the time wherever I am, fill it up in people's houses etc, just keep drinking as much as you can whenever you can, and that way even if you do go a bit barmy you'll be counteracting some of the damage by flushing it through. You should also really really try to cut down on your drinking, mainly because it leads you into that classic trap of making bad food choices - believe me I have done exactly the same more times than I care to remember, before finally taking myself in hand just before xmas last year, and I've now gone from drinking most nights and every weekend to only having one glass of wine with a meal probably about once a month, while still having the same social life as before. I've somehow trained myself to drink water when at the pub - it sounds impossible and I still can't believe that I can actually do it, but the difference it has made to my life (and my wallet!) is unreal, I feel 1000x better in myself for cutting the drink out. Try and cut down as much as you can, believe in yourself that it is worth it, after all when you do acheive your goals you'll be looking at stopping drinking totally for 9 months! Now that is a thought that makes it worth it IMHO....if I can cut down and stop, then anyone can! I know this battle with my weight would be so much harder if not impossible if I was still drinking.

Anyway, thats just my 2p, well done with this week, and good luck with the week to come x

HB remember you have lost nearly a stone in a month, how can your surgeon complain about that? Good luck anyway.
As for your weekends, I think we're all, or most of us, guilty of falling off the wagon a little at the weekends but then life is for living as well as for losing weight. And yes, Wii Fit is fab, I got the EA Sports Active game yesterday, first try of it today so can't wait!

KBx

Down 1lb this week....and considering the 'chocoholic/food-gorging weekend' that's in it I reckon that's pretty good going!

I did sneak one creme egg....just one, honestly! After all, I think its law to eat at least one isn't it?

But other than that our household is an 'Easter-Egg-Free Zone' and that has made this weekend a whole lot easier to deal with :)

However, as yesterday was not only Easter Sunday, but also my husband's birthday...and I'm really not that much of a miserable cow....I made him StarlightEXPRESS's Fat Free Chocolate Cake, and adding my own small twist, I sliced it in half, like a Victoria Sponge, and spread in a layer of WW Raspberry jam....too, too good!! Awesomely good...and really not all that sinful!

In the morning we had poached eggs on brown toast, and for our main meal we enjoyed Cherrytimmer's roast turkey recipe, using chicken not turkey....with Cherrytimmer's herby roast potatoes, plenty of steamed veg, and some low-fat chicken gravy

So I really don't feel deprived of my Easter pig out....we did pig out, but in a Xenical-friendly way :D

Today, we're making soup with the left-over chicken, and loads of veggies. Yum!

Off to see my surgeon on Thursday...and still no clearer as to why I'm seeing him now, in April, and not in 9 months time in December :eek: ....will report back soon!

Down another 1lb this week, which is OK.
Two 1lb losses in 2 weeks, and since starting these were the only two weekends I've so far spent at home, not drinking alcohol and not eating semi-crap...go figure? Clearly if I go out drinking & carousing over a weekend I lose more weight? Good thing I've got a 3-day music festival coming up at the end of the month! :D

And, I hesitate to say it, but that's my first stone gone...even though I promised myself, for my own sanity not to count this in stones this time, but instead to stick to 10lb segments...but, well...its my first stone...woo!

In other news...the appointment with my surgeon *was* my pre-op consultation, and I'm now officially on the waiting list, and due to complications with my windpipe being compressed the surgery is supposed to be sooner rather than later. I will be admitted a week beforehand because my thyroid is so toxic that they have to get my levels as near to perfect before the op, otherwise the complications afterwards will be more severe, yikes! So, guys & gals, it could be next week, next month or next year...but more likely to be within the next few months.
I mentioned my GA fears to him, with regards to my weight etc...but he said he's operated on 'larger ladies' with no problems, and the operation really does need to be done ASAP because of the windpipe problem so they are unwilling to let me go too long.
Still, I'm going to keep lpugging away with the Xenical as it really is the only thing that has worked for me for years. And I'm now "Double Wii-ing" each day, to really go to task on the cardio and aerobic exercises....overweight or not, I want to be as heart-fit as I can be before the anaesthetist plugs me with happy juice!

For those who don't want to drag through my old posts...I have Grave's Disease/Hyperthyroidsim, complicated by a large, toxic, multinoduler goitre...which I have just learned has compressed my windpipe down to less than 10mm in diameter!!! Hence the problems I have with breathing, swallowing and snoring like a "pig with bronchitis, on a freight train" <blush>

So there you have it...my weekly update...the weight is still coming off, and the surgery plans have been brought drastically forward! <gulp>

Hey HB, great news about the surgery (I think) Obviously a bit nerve-racking but if it eases things for you it's got to be worth it in the long run. Really well done on the first stone, the first of many!!

KB x

Yes good luck with the surgery.. i dont know whats totally involved.. but good Luck!!
and hopefully we will be able to see you a little happier.. you seem a little down. (or am i reading into things...)

1 stone is amazing......

Thanks guys :hug99:

Down 2 lbs this week! Which I'm happier with :D

Back to hospital tomorrow to see my Endo...and hopefully he'll be in a position to tell me more about what's going on. What kind of blocking regime they may have planned for me prior to the op...and most importantly (for me anyway) hopefully he will know roughly how long I'll have to wait now.
My bloods came back last week as slightly hypo, and a bit anaemic....so not sure where that leaves me right now. ???

Back to hospital tomorrow to see my Endo...and hopefully he'll be in a position to tell me more about what's going on. What kind of blocking regime they may have planned for me prior to the op...and most importantly (for me anyway) hopefully he will know roughly how long I'll have to wait now.

Well the Endo appointment was mostly a total waste of time, diesel & effort :mad:

Both my Endo consultant and his senior registrar were out on leave, and their stand-in was an obnoxious prat, with no clue of my medical history, no clue of my medical future, and absolutely no interest in either...and who proceeded to ignore my blood results and talk *at* me for 20 minutes, holding forth as if he was the almighty righteous who dare not be questioned on anything...after 19 minutes I finally gave up and stopped disagreeing with him *LOL*

However, the nurses were delighted with my pre-appointment weigh-in...and also confirmed my operation should be within the next 3 months.

Today's weigh-in...mixed emotions, but mostly positive.
The bad news is that I'm *UP* 2lbs this week....but the good news is that I expected more, so I am actually pleased that the damage is *only* 2lbs...there is logic there, I promise....bear with me.

Whilst I spanked the Wii Fit Plus this week like a mo'fo'....doubling my daily workouts are really pushing myself....I did also have the food weekend from hell (or heaven, depending on your view point :break_diet: ) and knowing this, I committed the unspeakable, cardinal sin of going off the pills from Thursday lunchtime in preparation :eek::eek::eek: <blush> so I could eat badly with no 'tango' concerns all weekend <double-blush>...and combined with the fact that I'm smack bang in TOTM territory....I hope you can see how I would be pleased with *only* a 2lb gain. I think I'm totally indebted to Wii Fit Plus for sparing me utter mortification on the scales this morning :D

The line was drawn last night, and I'm back on the pills, and back on track this morning....that 2lb will be history this time next week :flirt2: :)

Next Endo appt is in 1 month...assuming I haven't been admitted for surgery before then.:eek:

Hi HB, I'm glad for you if you're glad! Boo to the doc, hope you get the proper one next time and I hope the sugery is sooner rather than later for your sake.

KB x

Hi all - I'm back, but currently *off* the magic blue pills.:confused:

I went into hopsital for my Total Thyroidectomy at the end of May, and stopped taking Xenical a few days before as I figured once I was admitted to hospital I'd have no control over what I was served for meals.

I came out last week, and have been enjoying eating like a horse ever since <blush> My way of maximising my recovery process :D

I had hoped to re-start the pills and drag the Wii Fit Board back out to do some gentle exercising from tomorrow. I still have a fair bit of neck pain and stiffness, but I'm going crazy sitting around doing nothing, so I figured if nothing else, some of the less energetic workouts on the Wii Fit Plus might help restore a little sanity and order to my life :D

But I just Googled my new meds and Xenical, and it looks like they're not the best of friends :( ....so I'm going to have to run it all past my GP on Tuesday (first set of blood tests after my op - wish me luck!) before I start scoffing the magic pills again.
Still, I can give the Wii Fit my best shot, if nothing else.

Was delighted to weigh myself last week and find that I weigh exactly the same as my last Xenical weigh-in...whch I reckon has more to do with not eating in hospital for a few days than anything else :8855:
But just thought I'd pop in and say "Hi" and see if anyone had even noticed that I'd disappeared :D

Hello! How good to see you back and how lovely that the operation is all over. Good luck with the doc and with getting back on track.

KB x

Back