Help! Budget Recipes!

nataliemurie

Hi everyone! I've been doing Slimming world for a while but I'm looking for cheaper recipes for dinner as money is tight at the moment. I really appreciate any ideas/recipes you all have. Thanks!

Jack Monroe's book "A girl called Jack" has really good budget recipes. They're not SW but they are very easily adaptable. She has a blog as well with recipes if you don't want to shell out for the book straight away. Also, have a browse round the recipe section here - there are loads of good ideas!

One thing I'm enjoying at the moment is spaghetti with a sauce mad from blended 'Super speed' soup. (You can find the recipe if you Google it) I know the initial cost of all that veg can be steep but, if you shop at Aldi or equivalent, it is much cheaper. I found that when I made it, it made a huge, huge amount, enough for four big bowls and two big Tupperware containers filled and put in the freezer. I took out about two bowlful sand blended it then spooned a ladle full into several plastic freezer bags ready for use whenever I fancy it. I use 15g of cheddar and 15g of Parmesan mixed in as my healthy extra a and it tastes just like the fresh tomato and mascarpone pasta sauce you can buy from the supermarkets. the best thing is, it is completely free!
another option is good old sausage, mash and beans (use low fat sausages) or spaghetti bolognaise with extra carrots, mushrooms etc to pad it out so you need less of the expensive meat. I often make a risotto too, using bacon and mushrooms, onions, peas, with a little lightest Philadelphia mixed in. You can use ordinary rice instead of the special risotto rice as it is much cheaper.

I second Jack Monroes book. Woman is a genius. All very adaptable, I'm veggie too and still manage to use loads of the recipes. She is well worth hunting down. Not literally, that's a bit threatening. :)

I'm another Jack Monroe fan - most of her budget recipes are easily adapted to SW and they really are delicious :)

I'll also second Pootle's idea for making spaghetti sauces from soups, especially as soup can be made from just about all and any vegetables that you can pick up in the reduced section at the supermarket. I make huge batches when I see veg on offer and then freeze them in portions.

Another fan of Jack Monroe here! Love her carrot, kidney bean and cumin burgers topped with some cheese and a bit of salad on the side for a lovely weeknight meal.

Back