Help, confidence wobble!

NatashaGabrielle

Ok so its no secret i have A LOT to lose and i am VERY over weight!! Ordered a swimming costume online (thanks mum) and it came today! My friend (whos also big) has started going swimming of a morning at the local pool 2mins from where i live and i planned to go with her. Now that its actually happening i am REALLY nervous about people seeing my FAT flabby legs and how stupid i will look in a swimming costume! I am so worried about someone i know seeing me and laughing or telling everyone how awful i look! What if there is hunky men there,... i will feel so embarrassed lol! I have txt my friend and asked to meet her in the morning but she aint txt me back :cry: i feel like a whale and thats JUST what im gonna look like in the water :( Do i brave it and just go and get fit lose weight and do something i love or should i just wait until i am slim? :4633:

LOL, hunky men worth their salt will think you're gorgeous however big you are x x x

Do it, babe. Hold your head up high and just do it. You've got absolutely nothing to be ashamed of - quite the opposite, in fact. You're taking life by the horns and showing it who's boss, right?

And you won't look like a whale at all. You might even find you're not the only larger lady in the pool - well, you know you won't be if your mate is there!

I reckon you'll have a great time. You'll be fine, promise! :hug99:

Thanks i am just so nervous, my friend aint txt me back... maybe she dont want to go with me no more. She always tells me she goes every morning and now she aint txt me back. We was txting and she was replying and the min i said 'go on then i will come tomorrow' no reply :( I dont think i am strong enough to go on my own the firs time but my OH is telling me to just go without her regardless :( I just dunno what to do! xxx

I'm with Lily and would say just go for it. I applaud your effort and swimming is an excellent choice.

Try not to focus too much on what you think you'll look like - the fact is you are doing something very positive about your weight loss and a vlcd isn't easy - so well done you.

She was probably just a bit liberal with the truth and doesnt actually go every day! I swim a lot, about 4-5 times a week. I either go alone (most of the time) or with my mum who is also overweight, although not as much as me. I go at my gym, where there are lots of buff men showing off about how fast they can go but I just keep my head down and scuttle into the pool as quickly as poss! lol once your in its no bother! no one really looks and I often find I out last all the show offs! Plus its such a good way into exercise for those larger or less fit. You can make it as energetic as you want it to be, go your own pace and maybe even get the confidence to go to an aquafit class, which i personally love!

Aw thank you for your reply you made me feel loads better the both of you TY!

She just txt me back and told me she will meet me outside the pool at 6:30am. So at least i wont be alone for my first time :) I am really looking forward to it as i LOVE swimming and i REALLY wanna go its just i am so nervous about people seeing me as i live in a small town and half the people i know work in the gym there! But she reassures me that its mostly old people that go of a morning and i will be fine. This is the perfect way to lose weight :)

Did you go ? I know exactly how you feel as i feel the same. I was on holiday in the summer and my niece begged me to go swimming with her. It was the most horendous feeling, but I did it. The only problem was, once i was in, i had to find the courage to get out lol!

Hope you enjoyed it if you did go.

i agree with everyone else hun. once you have been you will realise that it doesnt bother you half as much as you thought it would. its something that you love and once your in the water your done!! i love swimming too... and i literally run to the pool get in and then im sorted... but i think the truth is that no one is actually looking or caring... its all about you at the end of the day... just tell yourself that you are a confident and beautiful woman (coz you are) and you can do whatever you want!!! xxxx

Gonna copy and paste what i put in my team tread.

I did it, i went swimming in the morning at 6:30am. I was reallllllly nervous at first thinking i was going to look like a whale in the pool and people i know might be there or be looking at me and giggle thinking look at her. My friend who is also big goes of a morning as she is trying to lose weight too (not on CD) and she said that its fine and not to worry. I went at 6:30am and she said to get in the pool as she might be running late. Ahhh so nervous as i pulled up outside and there was like 30 people waiting for the doors to open i was like ''what an earth'' and there was a girl i knew from school waiting outside too (she was one of them pretty stuck up slim popular girls)... my heart sank. I thought to myself i am not going to look like this for long Natasha and i got out the car and walked inside. Most of the people went upstairs and I was confused waiting in line thinking ... are the changing rooms upstairs thats odd? turns out most of the people was going to the gym... ahhh hehe so i found my way to the changing room stripped off down to my costume and toddled off to the pool nervous wondering who was there and how would i get into the pool. Well it was kinda busy but mostly people over 40 no young people my age which i was really happy about. There was steps down into the pool but not the horrible steps these was actually steps graduating slowly into the pool RIGHT next to the changing room so i didnt have to walk no more than 2meters from changing room into pool... i was over the moon!!! I started swimming and it got to about 7am and i was wondering where my friend was as she still wasnt there but she eventually turned up at around 7:10am and she swam to around 7:30 and then she got out and i carried on untill 8am. Thats an hour and a half of swimming on OMG it felt so fantastic i love swimming and i could realy feel like i was out of breathe and getting a good work out. I took it really easy and didnt push myself. I am aching all over now my arms and legs haha and i LOVE the fact that i am in a very weird and strange way because that means i really am working out and toning up. I am going back tomorrow morning too :D

Well done :clap::clap: one more step towards your goal and you deserve to be well chuffed with yourself. Good luck with the rest of it and keep up the momentum :)

Well done :D I think once you've done it the first time then you don't need to worry about it! I would love to go swimming but I'm too self conscious so I'm really glad you managed to do it! Plus I'm such a bad swimmer haha.

Well done! This is definitely inspiring me to start going...I'm the same as you, always so worried about what people are going to think. But you've reminded me just how GOOD it feels to swim!

It was so nice to go swimming again i love it! The only thing that was holding me back was what people might think of me. I am so glad i went because it really was not bad at all mostly older people who never even looked my way. I mean i wouldnt go during the day but at 6:30 i am safe hehe xxx

Wow well done. I'd love to go swimming but I start work @ 8 so it's really awkward. Could go after work but it'll be too busy.

You must be feeling very proud of yourself.

Believe me i never seen 6:30am in a LONG time but it really wasn't that bad :D The water REALLY wakes you up for the day and exercise in the morning boosts your metabolism xxx

And did you know that exercise, my darling daughter, also impoves your insulin levels naturally which, due our family history of diabetes, is very important. No need to work out like an athlete, just regular moderate exercise and a change of diet to get that weight off is all it takes.

Now if I just followed what I preach.............

Your doing exceptionally well with the getting up at 6 silly o'clock and mermaiding it down that pool. Well done you! Xx

Back