HELP....Constipation!!

x_Bobby_x

Hey Guys!

Im currently on day 16 of SS and doing ok except for the last few days Ive been suffering with constipation!

Do you know the best way of solving this little problem without affecting weight loss?? Im sure you have all answered this question a million times but I cant seem to find the thread anywhere!

Thanks

Happy loosing guys!!

Bobby xx

ok - this is a common problem.

There are two phases ... one is to 'clear the backlog' (sorry!) and the second is to prevent it from happening again.

If you're in the early stages of constipation, try Dulcolax perles - they're effective and don't affect the diet. Read the instructions though ... do NOT take four like I did - OMG I thought I was turning inside out! :eek:

Once you've dealt with that, the next stage is to prevent it from happening again. Anyone who knows me will know what I'm about to recommend ....

PSYLLIUM HUSKS.

These are a 100% natural bulking agent which contain no carbs or cals. They just absorb liquid and bulk out your bowels enabling you to go naturally - you cannot digest them.

They can be taken in powder form (added to shakes, soups to thicken them or made into a porrige ... just shout if you want any recipes).

Alternatively, they can be taken in capsule form for those who don't like the thought of thick soup etc.

Here's a link to a great online company who have a half price sale on at the moment (I just bought three tubs!) It also has more info.

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/shop/product.aspx?Id=C-PH

You can buy the capsules from Holland and Barrett
Link below

Digestive Aids Vitamins, Minerals, Herbal Products online at Holland and Barrett

Hope this helps!:)

ok - this is a common problem.

There are two phases ... one is to 'clear the backlog' (sorry!) and the second is to prevent it from happening again.

If you're in the early stages of constipation, try Dulcolax perles - they're effective and don't affect the diet. Read the instructions though ... do NOT take four like I did - OMG I thought I was turning inside out! :eek:

Once you've dealt with that, the next stage is to prevent it from happening again. Anyone who knows me will know what I'm about to recommend ....

PSYLLIUM HUSKS.

These are a 100% natural bulking agent which contain no carbs or cals. They just absorb liquid and bulk out your bowels enabling you to go naturally - you cannot digest them.

They can be taken in powder form (added to shakes, soups to thicken them or made into a porrige ... just shout if you want any recipes).

Alternatively, they can be taken in capsule form for those who don't like the thought of thick soup etc.

Here's a link to a great online company who have a half price sale on at the moment (I just bought three tubs!) It also has more info.

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/shop/product.aspx?Id=C-PH

You can buy the capsules from Holland and Barrett
Link below

Digestive Aids Vitamins, Minerals, Herbal Products online at Holland and Barrett

Hope this helps!:)

PMSL RD, was just about to give you a shout to explain, you do it som much better than me, you really should have shares in PH!!!

Bobby, please do take Debbies advice, this was a god send for me x

LOL - when did I become the poo guru?? I can't remember ... it just seemed to 'happen'. :)

Last edited:
Russian doll, so you are the guru of poo!

I've been searching the site for a while and finally i find you! I started on monday and my bowel movements have not been anything like before i started and it feels, well funny! What is normal when you start the Cambride diet? I just want to know if i should be taking this PSYLLIUM HUSKS before it becomes a big problem.

Thank you!

x Alli x

Hi Alli
I'm always available to talk sh** :D

When you first start CD, your 'movements' can change dramatically. Sometimes, they can be like little 'pellets' but often, they just stay inside getting more solid until there's enough there to stimulate the bowels into expelling them. Unfortunately, by then, they're often too hard to pass comfortably. Constipation!

Get started on the psyllium husks straight away and you'll prevent a lot of hassle before it starts.

Just shout if you want any advice on how to add them to packs etc. Don't have them in water like it says on the pack - it's vile!

Hope this helps

pmsl what a title the poo guru I love it :D

I have found as long as I keep my water intake about 4L I don't have any problems in that area lol

Rebel that I am, I love fibergel

I didn't find psyllium husks worked for me.

I now take two fibergel sachets a day. It's the same principle as the psyllium, basically just indigestible fibre, but seems to be better in my case.

I'm also taking the orange stuff, not the flavourless - it's not making the difference to my weight loss, but it's sure as hell making me a happier, nicer person!!

Bobby I feel for you, I had the same problem on Saturday and had to resort to taking 6 sachets of Movicol, it was the only thing that helped me.....it was either that or end up at the hospital!!!

Since then I have really upped the Psyllium husks tablet, I take 4 caps after every meal (or I put them in the shakes) and I have been better since then. I just know I cant get that bad again.

I also drink at least 4 litres of water everyday but had been doing that since the start of the diet.

Hope you are ok soon

xx:wave_cry:

heppi - just watch re the orange fibre gel - as it can take you out of ketosis as it has citric acid in it.

I wouldn't be without my PH - thickens soups and makes porridge!!!

Hi All,

Just been sitting here reading all about your c*** talk he he, day 4 and i haven't been yet. Not got the urge, getting a little worried.

Think it is now time to go the Chemist for some fibergel.

Here's POO, oops i mean, TOO you all x

Just got the Psyllium caps today - any advice on how much you should need to take? Is it the two that is says on the jar OR should we up it as we are not really having meals?

Any advice appreciated as I'm struggling with expulsion!! (That's the nicest way I can put that!!!) Don't want to keep resorting to Senakot

Cheers folks

Getting to the end of day 4!!

Hi Alli
I'm always available to talk sh** :D

When you first start CD, your 'movements' can change dramatically. Sometimes, they can be like little 'pellets' but often, they just stay inside getting more solid until there's enough there to stimulate the bowels into expelling them. Unfortunately, by then, they're often too hard to pass comfortably. Constipation!

Get started on the psyllium husks straight away and you'll prevent a lot of hassle before it starts.

Just shout if you want any advice on how to add them to packs etc. Don't have them in water like it says on the pack - it's vile!

Hope this helps

Hi Russian Doll!

Thank you so much for the advice! I will be getting some psyllium husks tomorrow! I was meaning to get it today but i was really busy at work and forgot!

And if you do have any recipies for psyllium husks i would be really grateful! The thought of thickening up the soups makes me REALLY HAPPY!

I am REALLY starting to miss food now... its not that im hungry as such, but i miss all the flavours... :sigh:

x Alli x

Hi Alli

Here are the three ways I add PH to my packs.

In shakes:
I add shake powder to cold water as normal and throw in 2 teaspoons of PH powder on top then blend for a few seconds as usual. Just gives a 'thick' shake ... not to everyone's liking but I love it and never have a 'thin' shake now.

Thick soup
350ml of very hot water (not boiling)
Add a soup pack and blend as normal
Pour into a bowl
Sprinkle some PH on top (I add 2 dessertpoons - adjust it to your own taste as you get used to it)
Then stir it briskly with either a fork or a balloon whisk.
Keep stirring until it thickens and goes smooth.

Porrige
Do the same as with the soup but using a shake (vanilla or toffee & walnut works well)
I also sprinkle a little cinnamon powder on top for an extra 'wintery' taste.
The consistancy is more like semolina than porrige but it's yummy if that's all you can have! LOL

As for the capsules ... I'd increase the dosage slightly as the dose on the pack assumes you're eating food that has a degree of fibre in it. Experiment until you find the right dosage for yourself.:)

Hi Russian Doll,

That sounds great! I really wish i already had some here!! So, you suggest around 6 teaspoons a day, is that right? 2 per meal? (I'm on SS 3 a day!)

x Alli x

Thanks Russian Doll - will see how I go!!

hello peps

I'm glad I found this thread! :)

I've been suffering for well over a week now (grrr!). I took Senakot Max strength and it really worked but stopped hoping it would return to normal but it hasn't so I started taking them again yesterday and nothing seems to be happening yet :S

I'm soo happy to find that other people are in the same situation! Imagine if we didnt have this thread, we'd be all sat at home, trying to figure out how to explain the situation to your local pharmacist! hehehehe.

p.s. Russian doll, thanks.. i just realised i didnt say thank you earlier!

x Alli x

Back