Help - going to the gym for the first time

Tol116

Help - I've managed to get an 8 day free pass at fitness first and intend to start using it next week to see whether I like it.

The problem is that I've never stepped foot in a gym in my life before, so don't really know what machines are best to use.

I know they also do a few exercise classes like zumba and body pump, but I have exercise dvd's at home.

So the question is do I concentrate on using the machines to try and tone the wobbles I have or use the classes to burn the calories.

I still need to shift the last 1 1/2 stone, so any advice is welcome.

At my Fitness First they have some suggested programmes for the exercise equipment. I do think it's worth trying some classes too though because you might enjoy how it feels to be part of a group rather than doing the DVDs on your own. I find that if I don't have a programme at the gym then I don't make best use of my time. Also you might ask if there is a personal trainer who would give you one session free.

I don't suppose the pt will be covered with the 8 day free pass. However, if I like it I will probably sign up for longer. My friend has signed up for six weeks and it does allow her 3 pt sessions, maybe I'll follow her around!

I joined FF last year. And I was totally terrified at the idea of going to a gym lol I was actually sat in car park for a good hour dithering! And yes it's fully of skinny toned bronzed ppl but there's also looooooaaaads of normal ppl too haha

I like to have a mixed cardio and weights session plus a couple of classes each week. Spin is eeeeevilly hard work but must burn about a million calories! Plus it's in the dark so noone sees you wobble haha there's some great 20 min tone and core classes if the machines don't work for you.

And treat yourself to a good steam afterwards! It's a nice little bit of me time when you've been good!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Good for you!!! I personally cannot bear gym work outs so it's Zumba and bodypump that I swear by. Bodypump is nothing like you'll ever do on a work out DVD, you'll be aching for two days after but there's something satisfying about it!

Zumba is amazing. I love it and again, nothing like anything I've ever done on a work out DVD so I'd suggest giving it a go :)

Good luck whatever you choose to do :)
X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Good for you!!! I personally cannot bear gym work outs so it's Zumba and bodypump that I swear by. Bodypump is nothing like you'll ever do on a work out DVD, you'll be aching for two days after but there's something satisfying about it!

Body pump is amazing! you should deffo try it! x

Back