Help - going to the gym for the first time

Discussion in 'Fitness Health and Exercise' started by Tol116, 22 May 2011 Social URL.

1. Tol116

Tol116 Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st2lb
    Current Weight:
    11st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10lb(13.04%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    Help - I've managed to get an 8 day free pass at fitness first and intend to start using it next week to see whether I like it.

The problem is that I've never stepped foot in a gym in my life before, so don't really know what machines are best to use.

I know they also do a few exercise classes like zumba and body pump, but I have exercise dvd's at home.

So the question is do I concentrate on using the machines to try and tone the wobbles I have or use the classes to burn the calories.

I still need to shift the last 1 1/2 stone, so any advice is welcome.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. lilacwine

lilacwine Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    At my Fitness First they have some suggested programmes for the exercise equipment. I do think it's worth trying some classes too though because you might enjoy how it feels to be part of a group rather than doing the DVDs on your own. I find that if I don't have a programme at the gym then I don't make best use of my time. Also you might ask if there is a personal trainer who would give you one session free.

4. Emmaline

Emmaline Hippety Hop!

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8.2lb(9.82%)
    Diet:
    calorie counting and low carbs
    Hi Tol, Good for you deciding to go to the gym - got to be all good.

Most of the well run gyms run an induction course first before you are allowed on any machine as it could end up your being hurt and they wouldn't want to be sued.

I'm sure you will soon get to know the different ones and what suits you best.

Have fun...:)

5. hannata

hannata I can haz cake?

Start Weight:
    280lb
    Current Weight:
    249.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    208.5lb
    Lost(%):
    31lb(11.07%)
    Diet:
    ADF
    if you register with ff they give you 3 pt sessions for free, the pt will show you how to use stuff and you can ask them questions.

6. Tol116

Tol116 Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st2lb
    Current Weight:
    11st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10lb(13.04%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    I don't suppose the pt will be covered with the 8 day free pass. However, if I like it I will probably sign up for longer. My friend has signed up for six weeks and it does allow her 3 pt sessions, maybe I'll follow her around!

7. Legomom

Legomom Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(14.4%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I joined FF last year. And I was totally terrified at the idea of going to a gym lol I was actually sat in car park for a good hour dithering! And yes it's fully of skinny toned bronzed ppl but there's also looooooaaaads of normal ppl too haha

I like to have a mixed cardio and weights session plus a couple of classes each week. Spin is eeeeevilly hard work but must burn about a million calories! Plus it's in the dark so noone sees you wobble haha there's some great 20 min tone and core classes if the machines don't work for you.

And treat yourself to a good steam afterwards! It's a nice little bit of me time when you've been good!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

8. joanna25

joanna25 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st3.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st3.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Healthy Eating
    Good for you!!! I personally cannot bear gym work outs so it's Zumba and bodypump that I swear by. Bodypump is nothing like you'll ever do on a work out DVD, you'll be aching for two days after but there's something satisfying about it!

Zumba is amazing. I love it and again, nothing like anything I've ever done on a work out DVD so I'd suggest giving it a go :)

Good luck whatever you choose to do :)
    X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

9. kelz89

kelz89 Full Member

Diet:
    SW
    Body pump is amazing! you should deffo try it! x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.