Help me understand...

Ok, so i have always found it a bit difficult to get my head round slimming world but i get the idea. With EE it says fill 1/3 of your plate with superfree foods and thats ok but what if you are eating something that is free, say spaghetti bolognese? do you still have to have superfree foods with it even though it's free in itself? I'm confused lol

Hi :)

If you use things like mushrooms, tomatoes, onions etc in the Bolognese sauce these all count towards the 1/3, so just make sure you squeeze in enough of them and you're sorted! If not sometimes i have a serving of broccoli or carrots on the side to make up for it.

Hope this helps!
xxxx

Yes 1/3 of the ingredients need to be superfree... so tinned tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, peppers, carrots all count as superfree.

If you haven't put enough superfree veg into your sauce you could always have a salad starter and/or fresh or frozen (defrosted) fruit and natural yog for desert. The one third doesn't necessarily need to be on one plate.

Denise

If I have bolognese, I always whack a huge salad on the side on the plate, so generally half spaghetti and half salad...plus you tend to eat less pasta, well I do :)

The one third doesn't necessarily need to be on one plate.

Denise

See this is where I really think thats not right. The whole point is that you fill up on superfree foods because they are lower in cals and fat than say meat.
If you have a plate of meat and potatoes and then have a bowl of fruit after..in theory you are indeed following EE. BUT, if you had that 1/3 super free on the plate, you would have eaten less meat n pots (ie. less fat and cals) and that is the point of EE.

Okok, dont shoot me :p

See this is where I really think thats not right. The whole point is that you fill up on superfree foods because they are lower in cals and fat than say meat.
If you have a plate of meat and potatoes and then have a bowl of fruit after..in theory you are indeed following EE. BUT, if you had that 1/3 super free on the plate, you would have eaten less meat n pots (ie. less fat and cals) and that is the point of EE.

Okok, dont shoot me :p

I agree too, please don't shoot me either :) But yeah you need to have it with your meal. I think it's ok at breakfast to have a piece of fruit with your cereal etc, as it's more difficult, but typically my dinner always has the third superfree on the plate.

I tend to eat fruit whilst cooking, and eat a ton of veggies and eat fruit later!

I find it easy enough to get in the superfree, it's just habit now to reach for fruit first.

its 1/3 of what u eat over a day that has to be super free it dont have to be on your plate as long as over a day u have 1/3

See, I am with Stefanie, and Chicaloca on this one... How can it possibly stop you over-eating carbs/protein if you don't have it on the same plate? I can even imagine people forcing themselves to eat fruit after their meal, even when they're not hungry, just to get their 1 third superfree - which going on the theory that it doesn't have to be on the same plate would be totally on plan, but is ridiculous and counter-productive, surely?

Admittedly, I prefer to stick to red and green, and don't do EE often, but when I do, I make sure that I have 1 third superfree on my plate as part of my main meal. I even try to make sure that I eat that first a lot of the time, to ensure I don't over-eat the 'good' stuff ;)

I don't have it all on my plate, i will sometimes have fruit afterwards but i always leave room for it so i do think i end up eating less.

Obviously everyone has a different view on this and i can see why....after eating a meal i dont fancy going peeling a load of fruit to then try and force down when your already full. Id rather have something with my meal.

But saying that...if your like my partner who will eat very few vegetables, and by very few i mean potatoes and mushy peas, then the only way to get your superfree foods is to eat fruit after your meal. Which before sw he wouldnt have done.

So If you only plate up what you know you will eat, say for example 100g spag bol, then does it matter if i was to eat my 33g of veg with the meal, or my fella was to eat 33g fruit after. because either way, were both consuming the same amount.

Does the 1/3 superfree rule count on red/green days too?

stupid question time....

are tinned tomatoes still free / super free?
after all they are technically a fruit and tinned fruit ( in juice ) has a syn value...
pineapples are super free but tined pineapples in juice are 3 syns ( an arbitrary value from the website since it makes no mention of tin size.. )

Canned Tomatoes are superfree.
Canned Pineapple in juice are 1syn per pineapple ring or 2.5 syns per 100g.

see, no consistency...
why does skinning, chopping and sticking it in a container filled with it's own juice make pineapple synfull but not tomatoes? exactly the same thing done to them..

On a side note, pineapple is apparently really good since it has some sort of enzyme that breaks down protein.. ( and also coincidentally, your fingerprints if you soak them in the juice long enough... :) )

On a side note, pineapple is apparently really good since it has some sort of enzyme that breaks down protein.. ( and also coincidentally, your fingerprints if you soak them in the juice long enough... :) )

Hehe! I really want to try the fingerprint thing now!! :D

It's true.. the people that work picking and canning pineapples have no fingerprints....
don't know how long you'd have to soak your fingers before it worked though.. they do it day in day out for years...

My dad and brother managed to get rid of theirs because they work with concrete. I'd imagine it's the acidity in the pineapple juice that had the same effect as the abrasiveness of concrete.

Back