Help needed CD V Atkins diet!!

Stardreamer

Supportive
Hi
I hope that someone can give me some advice. My husband suffers from ulceritaive colitus which is controlled by medication. A week ago he started CD and is now in Ketosis BUT the symptoms of colitus have reared its ugly head. He is very determined to loose weight and does not want to come off the plan.
I have suggested changing to the Atkins Diet as as I am aware it follows the same line as ketosis. What do you think and have you got any tips. I have looked up all the foods permitted but I am not sure as to how many calories he should intake as CD and LL foloow 500-1000 Kcal a day. He wants the quick weight loss that you get on CD.
Any help and advice no matter how big or small would be really appreciated.
Many thanks.
xx

Atkins is very much based on having no more than 20g of carbs in the first two weeks of induction. They recommend eating high levels of protein/fat so that you are not hungry. Vegetables and salads are very important, and this is where you will get your main source of carbs.

Weight loss can be dramatic and fast, but you do need to figure out your CCL (the level of carbs you can eat and still lose weight) as you move into the ongoing weight loss.

Have you looked through the atkins book, or checked out any sites?

Thanks DQ,
I haven't read up on Atkins but I think I will go to the library tomorrow. I feel so sorry for him as he so wants to loose weight and not give up. I will also check out some other sites. Thanks hun.
xx

No problems - there are some good online stores where you can get lowcarb produce but the best advice I can give you is to KISS - meat, veg, salad, butter - and the weight will come off. Good luck :)

I did Atkins a couple of years ago and lost about three stone. I didn't calorie count at all but avoided any carbs as they are hidden everywhere. For Brekkie I would have bacon and eggs, boiled egg, lump of cheese and ham or some brazil nuts, a cup of coffee and cream. For Lunch I would have a small salad with some protien such a s Tuna with Mayo. Then for tea I would have a reasonable sized portion of meat or fish with a small portion of green veg. After a couple of weeks I introduced small portions of Strawberries and Cream and the odd glass of white wine. You can have nuts or of bits of ham, cheese or boiled egg to snack. I also had a fair bit of chopped up celery. The weight loss is very fast but for me it all went back on because I hadn't tackled my emotional eating. I am just coming to the end of the Foundation of LL and have lost 44lbs ( still have 19 to go).

I found Atkins ok and I think generally it suits men better than women as they tend to have less emotional eating problems - also the weight comes of quicker. There can be some nasty side effects though - same as VLCDs really - bad breath, constipation etc

Good luck with whatever you decide

Thanks cake and eat it,
I have just read your post to hubby and I think as of tomorrow he will start the atkins and continue with thee water intake.
Great advice.Thank you.
xx

DQ is this for the Atkins diet?

Hello everyone,
Just a quick update on hubbys weight loss. He started CD on 3/1/07 and was 15 stones 6lbs. Today 6/2/07 he is 13 stones 10 lbs!!
So far that is a total loss of 24lbs in just over one month!!
His collitos symptoms seemed to have dissappeared and I am glad that he stuck with CD and did not change to Atkins.
Thanks for all you great words of wisdom.
Good Luck.
xx

That is an excellent loss, congrtulations. I think Atkins might have been a difficult diet for someone with colitis, many people I know who suffer from it say that meat causes them to be worse, not a good outlook for a protein-based diet.

wow. fab news

Back