Help needed on good chocolate cake recipe...thats not sw friendly

snuggle69

Silver Member
I know that a lot of you are great cooks, just wondered if there are any cake bakers out there with a tried and tested recipe.
Basically I need to make a chocolate cake, but would love it to be really tall and fluffy like you see in some little cafes etc.
This wont be sw friendly as its for my other halfs birthday.
I have heard that using vegetable oil makes them fluffier ?

Nigella made one on her recent series which is very very good. No it's better than good!!!

It should be on the bbc website.

I know that a nigella one would be good, just searched the bbc website but there isnt one on there by her :(

When do you need it by? I've got her book so could write it out tomorrow!

Hiya I'm a chef and baker saw this post and thought i could help you out! I have a lovely but very naughty cake recipe am
In bed at the moment but will dig it out tomorrow and write it out if that's ok?

Hiya I'm a chef and baker saw this post and thought i could help you out! I have a lovely but very naughty cake recipe am
In bed at the moment but will dig it out tomorrow and write it out if that's ok?

Wow that would be great thanks so much x

I made a Sainsbury Chocolate Gateaux Cake from their 'cake in a box' range. I got it cos I didn't know how to make butter cream. You still have to make the cake and the icing/ butter cream but it takes out the hassle of weighing and measuring all the ingredients.

Plus it was lovely and yummy x

When do you need it by? I've got her book so could write it out tomorrow!

That would be great if you could? Think I am going to try a couple of different ones, bloomin lucky I dont like chocolate cake myself or it could be lethal.

Extremely naughty chocolate cake

200g flour
12tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
300g unsalted butter
450g sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
300ml sour cream

For the icing:
2 tsp instant coffee powder
300 ml sour cream
275 g plain chocolate
75 g white chocolate

Grease and line two 8-9 inch sandwich cake tins
Pre heat oven to 180 or gas mark 4
Sift the flour cocoa, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in small bowl
Cream the butter until fluffy, beat in the sugar and vanilla extract
Add the eggs one at a time beating well between each addition
Fold in the dry ingredients alternatively with the sour cream
Pour into the prepared tins and smooth the tops
Bake until the cake starts to shrink from the sides of the tin and feels firm on top, about 35-40 mins
Cool on wire rack

To make the icing:
Dissolve the coffee in 1 1/2 tsp hot water and blend into the sour cream
Melt the chocolate over pan of hot water, stir until smooth and mix with sour cream
Remove from the heat
Sandwich the two cakes together with some of the icing then cover the cake completely with the remaining icing
Melt the white choc and splatter over icing then use a tooth pick to feather and marble it!!

Yum yum yum

This is a Nigella recipe, its on her site but I cant post links yet. I have made it a million and one times and its always adored by everyone, even me and I wouldn't choose to eat chocolate cake normally! Its light, gooey, gorgeous and totally evil :D

Ingredients

FOR THE CAKE:
  • 400g plain flour
  • 250g golden caster sugar
  • 100g light muscovado sugar
  • 50g best quality cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 142ml/small tub sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 175g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 125ml corn oil
  • 300ml chilled water
FOR THE FUDGE ICING:
  • 175g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids
  • 250g unsalted butter, softened
  • 275g icing sugar, sifted
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
  2. Butter and line the bottom of two 20cm sandwich tins.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, bicarb and salt. In another bowl or wide-necked measuring jug whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla until blended. Using a freestanding or handheld electric mixer, beat together the melted butter and corn oil until just blended (you'll need another large bowl for this if using the hand whisk; the freestanding mixer comes with its own bowl), then beat in the water. Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix together on a slow speed. Add the egg mixture, and mix again until everything is blended and then pour into the prepared tins. And actually, you could easily do this manually; I just like my toys and find the KitchenAid a comforting presence in itself.
  4. Bake the cakes for 50-55 minutes, or until a cake-tester comes out clean. Cool the cakes in their tins on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and then turn the cakes out onto the rack to cool completely.
  5. To make the icing, melt the chocolate in the microwave - 2-3 minutes on medium should do it - or in a bowl sitting over a pan of simmering water, and let cool slightly.
  6. In another bowl beat the butter until it's soft and creamy (again, I use the KitchenAid here) and then add the sieved icing sugar and beat again until everything's light and fluffy. I know sieving is a pain, the one job in the kitchen I really hate, but you have to do it or the icing will be unsoothingly lumpy. Then gently add the vanilla and chocolate and mix together until everything is glossy and smooth.
  7. Sandwich the middle of the cake with about a quarter of the icing, and then ice the top and sides too, spreading and smoothing with a rubber spatula.

Extremely naughty chocolate cake

200g flour
12tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
300g unsalted butter
450g sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
300ml sour cream

For the icing:
2 tsp instant coffee powder
300 ml sour cream
275 g plain chocolate
75 g white chocolate

Grease and line two 8-9 inch sandwich cake tins
Pre heat oven to 180 or gas mark 4
Sift the flour cocoa, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in small bowl
Cream the butter until fluffy, beat in the sugar and vanilla extract
Add the eggs one at a time beating well between each addition
Fold in the dry ingredients alternatively with the sour cream
Pour into the prepared tins and smooth the tops
Bake until the cake starts to shrink from the sides of the tin and feels firm on top, about 35-40 mins
Cool on wire rack

To make the icing:
Dissolve the coffee in 1 1/2 tsp hot water and blend into the sour cream
Melt the chocolate over pan of hot water, stir until smooth and mix with sour cream
Remove from the heat
Sandwich the two cakes together with some of the icing then cover the cake completely with the remaining icing
Melt the white choc and splatter over icing then use a tooth pick to feather and marble it!!

Yum yum yum

Hiya is this plain or self raising flour?

Thanks for both of these, they are quite similar will give them a go over the next couple of days :)

Back