Extra Easy Help needed regarding shift work and SW

JCfoodie

Hi Everyone
I was wondering if anyone else does shift work, and still finds they have losses. I either work 0600-1400 or 1400-2200, and i find when i'm on the afternoon shift I'm fine, i loose the weight. When I'm on an early shift I really struggle I tend to put on weight, could it have anything to do with being weighed in the evening instead of the morning?

I think i need to find something filling to have before work, but I already have to get up at 0430, i don't want to have to get up any earlier. I've been having a weetabix before work, but by 0630 i'm hungry again, so i have a hi-fi light bar. I try and snack on fruit during the day but by 1000 i'm starving and having the lunch i have made for work, usually pasta, or a jacket potato with beans from the canteen. I then snack on more fruit or crab sticks (I love them at the minute). I find when i get home at 1430 I'm ok and don't need to eat anything for a couple of hours.

I got weighed on Wedsnesday evening and I had put on 2lbs, and i was a bit down about it. I have to go to two different classes, because of my shifts and because of this I feel like i can't stay or say anything about it IT. I also have two different consultants, and I find one really helpful and the other not so helpful.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Could it be because I'm getting weighed on different days and at different times?

Any help anyone can give me will be great.
Thanks and sorry if it doesn't make much sense.

DP

If you're being weighed at 2 different times of the day that will affect what you weigh, definitely. I tend to weigh 2-3 lbs heavier in the evening than the morning, due to fluids and food taken on during the day. I think what I would do, is mentally consider the 2 weigh ins to be different, and as long as you lose compared to the last weigh in at that time, then consider yourself as having a loss. As long as the overall trend is downwards, try not to stress about the value on the scale for the evening weigh in.

im not sure why you don't feel you can't stay or share in IT though - if you just explain you do shifts and weigh at different classes and times I'm sure people would understand the funny results on the scales - it wouldn't make your contributions any less valid, or what you get from the classes less valid.

Why don't you register as a shift worker and just go to one group each fortnight, that way you will be weighed at the same time each WI.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know you could register as a shift worker. Do I just need to speak to my consultant about this?

jaylou said:
Why don't you register as a shift worker and just go to one group each fortnight, that way you will be weighed at the same time each WI.

Was gonna say same I've just gone onto 3 shifts (used to work weekends) will register as a shift worker and go when on Earlies and nights won't get to weigh every week but at least I'm not paying when I can't attend

Hubby works shifts and he always seems to gain when he goes for am wi after a night shift, it's not a true reading as usually he weighs in of a morning, but his last nights is wednesday and we weigh in on a thursday morning, so to his body, it's really an evening wi where he's been eating and drinking during the "day" (night)
This does get him down a bit, he is registered as a shift worker, but still seems to want to go and wi even though he knows it'll show a gain....which i guess is good in one way as he doesn't want to start slipping and not going to wi's but it almost always makes him sad to see a gain....kind of a no win situation there :(

I work shifts, including nights, but mine have no pattern like yours sound like ie I don't do a week of earlies or a week of lates they're all over the place! So more often than not I can make the same group but I've still registered as a shift worker. I'd definitely go to the same one fortnightly for consistency and then you might feel more confident to stay and speak during IT. People in my group are really lovely and helpful I really value them.
When I'm on earlies I take bran flakes and milk and hold off as long as I can before having them. Then I take a massive fruit salad and munch on that across the morning. I always have an emergency mugshot if I'm feeling mega hungry too. Lunch is usually something warm like reheated leftovers. Then I try and have a normal evening of tea and syns :)
I actually find afternoons harder as I get the munchies through boredom sat at home waiting to go to work lol

Xx

Back