Help needed

MrsScandude

Hi all. So, am planning on becoming a consultant later on in the year, hopefully around autumn time. so many of you seem to have rubbish consultants with whom you are unhappy, so my question is this - what makes a good consultant? FYI I'll be doing a class as well as working full time if that makes any difference :) Thanks!

Friendly, happy person!
Must show interest in the group members, give time for members problems, and have a real interest in SW and it's methods. Make the meetings interesting!

When you say make them interesting do you mean by swapping recipes, giving info etc? I must say as a member I prefer those kind of meetings where we don't just focus on weight losses and gains in the group. Thanks for that. Anyone else?

being able to reign in the more vocal members and giving everyone a chance to speak?

Good luck with your new venture. :)

I wish slimming world had more focus on swapping ideas in class rather than just image therapy, I love my class, but its the people there that make it as we have a laugh and a catch up, but I find I don't really come away with anything I don't already know. I would love there to be recipe swaps and people encouraged to bring things to class. I have took 2 things on separate occasions to class and neither have been shown. I makes you wonder why you bother!

shellywelly1983 said:
I wish slimming world had more focus on swapping ideas in class rather than just image therapy, I love my class, but its the people there that make it as we have a laugh and a catch up, but I find I don't really come away with anything I don't already know. I would love there to be recipe swaps and people encouraged to bring things to class. I have took 2 things on separate occasions to class and neither have been shown. I makes you wonder why you bother!

I agree and I don't even really know what they mean by image therapy?

This week we divided into 2 teams to come up with a Fathers day breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had a real giggle and got some new ideas as well.

My favourite consultant used to hand out recipes, have taster sessions, quiz nights, nights out where we would go to a restaurant and pick healthy choices but still have fun, all sorts. I cant stand the ones where you just go, weigh in, sit and listen through the boring old x has lost y clap clap clap and thats it. It needs to be interesting enough to bother turning up to and for me the key to that is getting the members involved by giving them tasks to do, things to bring in, questions to ask etc, just get them interested and show an interest in them too, so encourage them to bring their favourite healthy product in or their favourite SW friendly recipe, show them how to make any recipe SW-friendly etc.

That sounds like a really good idea mrs Taylor. I don't know how much SW want their consultants to focus on the "Mary lost 2lbs how did you do it?" kind of approach but I really hope it's down to the consultant. I much prefer it at my group when our C gives a bit more of a talk, like you say, you do find you come away with more.

Ermi, the C you used to go to sounds awesome. I hope I can be half as good as that! I don't understand why some of the c's sound so bad, I mean surely, because it's your own business, you want to be successful so you need to please as many people as possible?

I actually like that my consultant doesn't speak about our losses, she just awards Slimmer of the Week; she also doesn't make a big deal when people gain. Sometimes I wish we got a little more IMAGE therapy... Good luck! :)

My consultant is fantastic. I was really shy when I turned up to my first group but she instantly spotted me and made me feel at ease. I think the thing I like the most is how positive and happy she always is, I always come away from group in a good mood, even my first week when I had a gain. She always makes sure we finish on time too, when I went to WW the meetings used to really drag on and you find yourself clock watching.

And another thing I just thought of. We have a Facebook group for our group and my consultant posts helpful things throughout the week, we have lots of recipes and things on there. I also know that if I email her or contact her via Facebook, I will hear back. It's lovely knowing that I have support away from our weekly meetings.

My consultant hardly ever runs to time because we spend so much time chatting. She wants to know what you did if you have a good loss, if you tried something new. If you have a gain she wants to know why you think it has happened, if group can help with ideas/suggestions for a loss the following week. Nearly every week she brings in information about new SW friendly products, we share recipes, swap tips on good places for eating out any bargains to be found in the supermarket. She is also very active on our facebook page, posts inspirational quotes and pictures. I love my group, my consultant is fab and the whole group are really interested in how everyone else is doing. your class should be something your members really look forward to attending. I love Thursday nights regardless of what the scales say.

Best of luck with it, just by asking what people are looking for shows you have the potential to be a great consultant:)

Ermi, the C you used to go to sounds awesome. I hope I can be half as good as that! I don't understand why some of the c's sound so bad, I mean surely, because it's your own business, you want to be successful so you need to please as many people as possible?

She was fab! She's the only consultant I've ever stuck it out with, I lost 6 stone with her but had to leave while I was poorly. She doesnt do it anymore though and all the ones Ive tried since are either crap or just not all that interesting so I just do it myself from home now. If I hadnt started with her theres no way Id be able to do it like this from home, she taught me everything I know :D

This is my aim at some point in the future too!

Remembering peoples names is a MUST! Unfortunatley i've moved and the conulstants here are no where near as good as my last consultant - it really is a shame.

1.Firstly she had time for everyone, she knew how to have a good giggle, as well as reign in the louder people of the groups.
2.Her raffle prizes were also great - and the food basket was ALWAYS full.
3.She gave out stickers and awards which not every consultant does
4. She had a special keyring that she gave to a different member each week - the group members nominated another member and it would either be someone who maybe needed a little extra support in the following 7 days, or just a well done to someone who had overcome an obstacle or done really well the previous 7 days
5. She sent supportive and inspirational text messages or postcards out of the blue - especially if she thought you needed cheering up
6. Once a month we had a cook off / bake off - we brought in a little something we had made for other members to try, could be anything from a curry to a dip - or just a low syn snack or treat we found in the supermarket
7. She shared her current journey - her ups and her downs AND you could evidentally see she was still following plan
8. She CARED
9. She always took on board any suggestions AND you were usually aware that her group would last around 2 hours, she had BIG groups - but the fact was she really did give GOOD sound advice and never said ' oh it's interesting that you've been on holiday and weighed in at another group, BUT i don't have time to do X, Y and Z in my group (and honestly the suggestion this particular member gave was purely just buying ingredients for a recipe, along with the recipe as a raffle prize) hardly very time consuming
10. Another thing that was really invaluable was a monthly fact sheet, any new products as Healthy extras, and always something seasonal - such as ice Lollies with the lowest syns, easter treats, xmas type foods, through to takeaways etc. Just fit nicely on 2 sheets of A4

Last edited:
Oh and the most important thing is just be yourself!

Lots of fantastic advice there everyone, thank you so much. I really can't wait to take up the consultancy, it's something I've wanted to do for ages and I desperately want to make a success of it. SW is something I'm so passionate about that I just want to help as many people as I can (who cares if that makes me sound sad! :D)

And you WILL be a TRUE inspiration! You ahve done bloody amazing! (and yes i did just say a naughty word!) x

Oh bless you EM - thanks for that! I was originally going to wait til I was at target to become a consultant but I decided why wait?

Back