Help - new to this

Hi everyone

I wondered if you could help me. I've done CD before with good success, but that was a couple of years ago and the weight has crept back on. Someone at work suggested LighterLife, which I would like to look into. But I've read that you need to commit for 14 weeks - I'm going on holiday in 5 weeks (for 2 1/2 weeks), plus there's Christmas.... And I can't get to see a counsellor until next Wednesday.

Has anyone got any tips for me - how can I overcome these 3 obstacles? I have 5-6 stones to loose.

Many thanks

Lindsay

Welcome! :)

As far as overcoming those kinds of "event" obstancles, it's all about planning in advance. If you go to any event without a plan, you are asking for trouble because you haven't set yourself any boundaries beforehand.

If you're going on holiday in a few weeks' time then chances are you won't actually get into a group before that anyway, or you could just start straight after. Certainly don't worry about Christmas, that's a long way off yet and by the time it does come around, you'll have lots of CBT/TA stuff under your belt to help you get through it.

I, like so many others on here, have abstained through Halloween, Bonfire Night, Christmas, New Year, Easter, own birthday, other's birthdays, parties, weddings..... you name it.

So long as you WANT to lose weight, you CAN do it :)

Hi Lindsay,

I agree with everything that Pete has said. Personally, I would wait until after your hols before starting unless you wish to abstain whilst away. A lady in my group went on a 10 day holiday to Lazarote and no food passed her lips at all. On the other hand, if you do start and then decide to eat whilst away it will be so hard to get back into it. Take it from me, I have experience!!!

I wouldn't even think about xmas yet. Like Pete said, you will have had the CBT/TA before xmas and with the great weight losses you will get I bet you will want to stick with it and keep the losses coming.

Let us know what you decide. Either way LL is great I am so glad that I have done it. Just wish I'd've known about it years before!!

Good luck x x

Forgive me - I'm sure I'll learn in time, but what's the CBT/TA??!

Thanks for your support. I guess I've just had playing on my mind that I don't want to be so fat for my holiday, but it's a bit too late for that now. Just try the whole 'no chocolate/crisps/booze' thing before I get there. I'm afraid I couldn't be so strong willed as to NOT eat in Italy... but that will be the last of it before my full-on focus on losing my weight.

Thanks guys - you're brilliant :)

CBT is Conginitive Behavioural Therapy and TA is Transactional Ananlysis. It is basically looking at why/when/how we eat and then discussing alternatives. So quite a lot of people eat for emotional reasons happy, sad, upset, worried etc so you look at the triggers and situations and then find an alternative behavoir (i.e not turning to food and actually dealing with your emotions).

Then when you get to goal, you move into management and then you will be able to put everything you have learnt into practice.

I think it is probably best to wait until after your holiday to start then like you said, you can have a fresh start.

I would use the next 5 weeks wisely. Research LL as much as you can. Start drinking more water to get your body prepared. Then in the lead up to starting it is a good idea to start cutting down on your carbs as that will help with the withdrawl symptoms.

Keep coming on here reading and also posting. Once you get up to 50 posts you can view peoples pictures which is so motivational.

Hope you have a good time in Italy and just keep it in the back of your mind that this will be the last 'big' holiday you will ever have. The next time you will be wearing that slinky bikini!!

Hi everyone

I wondered if you could help me. I've done CD before with good success, but that was a couple of years ago and the weight has crept back on. Someone at work suggested LighterLife, which I would like to look into. But I've read that you need to commit for 14 weeks - I'm going on holiday in 5 weeks (for 2 1/2 weeks), plus there's Christmas.... And I can't get to see a counsellor until next Wednesday.

Has anyone got any tips for me - how can I overcome these 3 obstacles? I have 5-6 stones to loose.

Many thanks

Lindsay

Simple. Abstain at Christmas, and abstain on your holiday. I took a month long holiday in AMerica - land of food, and while I would have loved to tuck in with others, I chose to stay on the diet, because after all, its not the last holiday I will be on, and CHristmas, will not be the last CHristmas either. BUT - it just might have been my last chance to lose the weight. ;)

I don't mean to sound glib, but, you either do the diet, or don't. Thats really it....you gotta be prepared to sacrifice a few things to gain something so much more ownderful then a few plates piled up with food, and drink.

Whats more important to you? ;)

You don;t have to commit to 14 weeks for LL- but you should. FOr yourself. You are worth it aren;t you? :)

xx

Once again BL says it all :D you may never have this opportunity again, you might get back from your holiday and put it off later and later seize the moment while you can!
Im only on week two and have lost 1.1stone! thats better than any italian ;)
xxx

BL has hit the nail on the head - ditto to all she said.

and remember....
there will be other holidays - italy will still be there after the diet and then you will be slim and healthy and can return and enjoy sampling the food in a controlled way

nothing you could ever eat is as good as being slim feels i promise you!

good luck
daisy x

Hi Lindsay

I agree with the ladies. Holidays come and go, Christmas comes every year. LighterLife needs commitment from the outset. It won't work if you intend to dip in and out of it.The difference between LL and Cambridge is the psychological help included. Once you get started you will lose weight so quickly it will spur you on.
I'm a bit concerned that you are worried about waiting till next Wednesday.........
How long has it taken to put the weight on? It's not long till Wednesday is it?
Good luck whatever you decide.
Slim feels fab and healthy too.

No need to be worried about why I couldn't wait until Wednesday this week - it was just that my mind was set on getting cracking, and you know when you have to wait..?? I'm just impatient. Only another 24 or so hours to wait now before meeting the LL counsellor!

I've spend the last week going to the gym, trying to cut back on rubbish food, etc. Haven't lost any weight, but I'm getting my mind focussed :)

You're right about abstaining on my holiday & at Christmas - no reason why I shouldn't for one blooming year! Never thought of it like that!

Thanks guys - will update after tomorrow evening!

Seems you've made a choice about when to start so all the best of luck to you in your first few weeks! You will love it - it is such a life changing programme.

I understand all the attitudes about abstaining on holiday, but it depends on the situation I suppose. For Blonde, when she went to America she was essentially going 'home', so the trip wasn't that out of the ordinary and the food is something that you can take or leave if you've had it a lot in the past... where as I have just got back from my first holiday in seven years to Crete, and I wasn't going to miss out on the full experience - local cuisine etc. I was careful, but I did come off the programme to do it. I go away SO rarely (for holiday purposes) you see.

I am not trying to sway you, I just understand the hestitation about abstaining on holiday - if you go on holiday every summer however, then yeah - definitely abstain - one year is nothing, and it will change your life so much!

Christmas is tricky, but as Pete said, by the time you get there you will be fine. It's just another day and there is so much more to Xmas than the food you eat - think back to last Christmas - what do you remember? Seeing family/friends, presents, sat around watching crap films?? Yeah, probably. Unlikely that your most glowing memory is the food you ate...

A x x

I understand all the attitudes about abstaining on holiday, but it depends on the situation I suppose. For Blonde, when she went to America she was essentially going 'home', so the trip wasn't that out of the ordinary and the food is something that you can take or leave if you've had it a lot in the past...
A x x

I beg to differ Anna!!! It was extremely tough!! So much so I was in tears at one point.

It may be 'familiar' but that also means 'favourite'.....all my favourite things that I miss immensely.....I much prefer the things in the US then here, so it was a huge challenge. But a worthy one.

Not to sway anyone, but just to say it wasn't a walk in the park.....but it was determintation and a promise to myself to do this diet 100% that kept me from eating....nothing to do with familiarity. At all.

It was also a huge family event/reunion, for moms 90th birthday, with full on BBQ - drinks - starters - cake, etc. Eat drink and be merry - toast mom, etc., etc. I would have LOVED to join in the celebration from the culinary point of view. Instead, I toasted mom with a shake.

It was hard to watch a month of celebrations but if there is a will, there is a way.

Way I see it - you start bending the rules, you will just be on the diet for a very very long time.

Last edited:
No need to be worried about why I couldn't wait until Wednesday this week - it was just that my mind was set on getting cracking, and you know when you have to wait..?? I'm just impatient. Only another 24 or so hours to wait now before meeting the LL counsellor!

I've spend the last week going to the gym, trying to cut back on rubbish food, etc. Haven't lost any weight, but I'm getting my mind focussed :)

You're right about abstaining on my holiday & at Christmas - no reason why I shouldn't for one blooming year! Never thought of it like that!

Thanks guys - will update after tomorrow evening!

Thats the spirit Lindsay!!! WELL DONE!!! You are approaching this with just the right attitude!

Really chuffed for ya girl!!!

GO FOR IT!!!! :) :) :)

xx

Hiya Lindsay

If I was you ...
I would join now and have everything setup for when you come back from your hols, that way you can use you holiday and time away to really motivate yourself on how you are going to lose loads of weight and be strong enough to change your habits so you will stay slim forever :)

xx Kam

Welcome BL. You inspired me to keep on track when I went back home too xx

Aw thats cool hun, but I know you are a lady of determination yourself!!

Its all about choosing your priority.

Eat, or reach the goal you set for yourself really, without making excuses. :)

Well I met the LL counsellor last night & am starting on Tuesday! Really happy that there are the counselling sessions, as I can totally see that I didn't have much in the way of support (from people who know what it's like) with CD.. Anyway, can't wait. Told my husband last night & he was sceptical about my being able to abstain from eating on holiday, but he's supportive. I CAN DO IT... Christmas is no sweat - we were going to a hotel for Christmas lunch, so I'll just skip the eating bit & join the family afterwards :)

Bring it on!!!

hi there , welcome and good luck on youre journey , do it right and it will litterally change your life.
i went to egypt in a 5 star all inclusive resort while abstaining and although it was marginally uncomfortable at times i still had a fab time without any food passing my lips ... and i came home much lighter and much browner due to missing mealtimes and sunbathing instead , lol . take a hand blender and youre book to read when youre lacking motivation and youll be great xxx

Ok - so hand blender.. Need to get one - can you recommend one? What do you get when you go to your first session? It was left a bit up in the air, but mainly because all of the newbies were a bit nervous and didn't ask the questions? Obviously your food packs.. But do you get a shaker bottle thing? Or literature?

Btw, Sukie Sue - love the idea of coming back lighter & browner from my holiday!! He he!!

Linz x

Back