HELP - painkillers?

kitty o

Silver Member
I'm wondering if anyone can help.

I have fractured my elbow and I'm on painkillers. I know they can make you constipated :(
but can they make you retain water?? I seem to be putting on weight -4lb since monday !!
I'm sticking to plan . I mainly do green days and I've been saving my syns for some choc each evening with a brew. But I'm struggling too to eat fruit for snacks as I'm not feeling that hungry. I'm limited too to what I can eat/make cos I've only got one hand to make it .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

I'm not 100% sure of the answer - HOWEVER I really wouldn't let it worry you too much.

What's important is getting yourself better and not being in too much pain. Any 'damage' that's done is superficial and will right itself once you're better.

Add to that that you should only be weighing once a week, I doubt there'll be much change ;) xx

Any medication you take will mess you around for a while. I am always having my medication (for a long-standing condition) changed, and I never know quite what will happen. But it always settles down in the end, and the thing is not to worry about it. Just carry on as best you can and concentrate on feeling better. Hope you will be in less pain soon.

I was on strong painkillers and I put on quite a bit of weight but as soon as I stopped them it all came off. Just remember if it is water retention it will just come straight off as soon as you stop the meds. You being pain free is more important then gaining a little weight temporarily. Hope your elbow heals quickly x

I am betting that rather than water retention from the painkillers, it's water retention from your injury.

Most injuries will swell up and retain water as they heal. I think as soon as you start healing the weight will drop back off, just stick to your green days and I am sure you will do fine x

Thanks everyone !!
just gutted cos I can't exercise either

I recently started bk doing Zumba and aquafit and was getting bk into it.
I'm trying to do bits around the house 1 handed! When I'm about I have my sling on, but after a while my neck and back ache so I end up taking it off and resting my arm on a pillow. Without the sling on I have 'forgotten' bout my elbow and moved my arm - OUCH!!
I wouldn't want to go out without the sling on in case someone knocked into me. I've got to go the fracture clinic next week so will prob just wait and see what they say.

Back