Help - recommendations for appetite suppressant?

Hi. I’m hoping to get some advice for a problem my mum is having. No matter how much she eats, she never stops feeling hungry. She often feels so hungry that her stomach actually hurts, even after eating a meal. In spite of this she has been dieting for three years and has dropped 4 dress sizes.

But this year she has been struggling to lose weight, and is about the same weight she was at the start of the year, even though she follows the plan religiously. She walks for 1-3 hours every day, and she doesn’t use more than a few syns each week (any time she tries to use more she gains several pounds). But she often gains weight anyway and struggles just to maintain.

She is finding it painful to restrict how much she eats even though she feels so hungry, but she knows that if she eats any more that she will gain weight. She is absolutely terrified of putting weight back on, but doesn’t know how much longer she can keep going.

She has seen her doctor but there isn’t anything he can do for her (except give her antidepressants, of course).

So I wanted to ask if you know of any non-prescription appetite suppressants that really work.

I'd stick to natural appetite suppressants as some of the side effects of the over the counter stuff is horrible including palpitations, reflux and constipation as they slow your system down. Try adding raw fibre to her foods or have a glass of juice with psyllium husks in with breakfast. This stuff forms an almost jelly like substance as it absorbs the liquid and fills your system naturally. Won't encourage constipation either. I'd up water intake to the max too and maybe cut down on caffeine as it ups your heart rate and therefore her metabolism meaning whatever is taken in is burnt faster anyway.

I have no doubt that some of the stuff on the market will do what it says but does your mum really want the possible
side effects? Loads of lean protein too is a natural appetite suppressant.

Maybe be someone who has tried one will come along and give you a better and more specific low down. I have tried something called lean degree which isn't a suppressant as such but is supposed to increase your resting metabolic rate. The heart burn was unreal and all I could taste was the taste of the capsules, no matter how much I drank. Needless to say I stopped!! My husband has taken thermobol as he is into weights etc and he thought that was ok (similar to lean degree) but the active (and I use that word loosely) ingredient is green tea. Now we just drink green tea!!!

Last edited:
Also if your mum has dropped 4 sizes she may be close to her "natural" limit. You don't say how old she is or how much she weighs so it can be hard to judge.

How old is your mum, what does she weigh and what is her height? What's her BMI? How much has she lost with SW? Can you post what she would normally eat?

As someone else has said it could be she's reached a weight her body is happy with.

But if I was her I'd be going back to the doctors if she's eating meals and still hungry! Does she get the light headed, low blood sugar type feelings or just the stomach pains? It might not be something physical, she could have emotional issues which are causing her to feel what she belives to be hungry. Either way she is entitled to help.

I get this occasionally but only for a few days at a time and it is usually related to ovulation, so wonder if there's a hormonal involvement, but suppose the dr might've thought of that.
I've heard that artificial sweeteners like aspartame can really mess with your appetite. Does she eat/drink a lot of those?
Otherwise can only suggest what the others do - plenty of water, fibre and protein such as eggs. Dairy is also supposed to help so maybe some extra fatfree yoghurt/quark/cottage cheese? Maybe some of those probiotic yoghurts to help with the guts? :confused: hope you find something x

Since your mum has had these issues since January, I would return to the GP and ask for more help. Without you responding to posts and giving more information we are all really giving suggestions in the dark.

If eating is causing stomach pain - then the GP shouldn't be just offering your mum antidepressants.

Maybe the GP is offering antidepressants because you wrote that your mum was having thoughts of doing something drastic (27th January 2013).

Since your mum has had these issues since January, I would return to the GP and ask for more help. Without you responding to posts and giving more information we are all really giving suggestions in the dark.

If eating is causing stomach pain - then the GP shouldn't be just offering your mum antidepressants.

Maybe the GP is offering antidepressants because you wrote that your mum was having thoughts of doing something drastic (27th January 2013).

Having looked now I can see that you have asked before about this and that I replied then too but to no response. Are you checking the replies you get? Taking into account everything you have written it strikes me as odd that further advice or a second opinion isn't being sought. We can help with ideas on the plan but if everything is as you say then it goes deeper and you need to seek further help.

Hi again. My mum is 63. She weighs 9st 6 right now. Her BMI is 24.3. She was around 12st when she started at Slimming World but had lost some weight by herself before then. Her target is 8 and a half stone and she is desperate to reach it.

I don't think she has any problems with her blood sugar. She does drink a lot of Diet Coke, so aspartame and caffeine could be involved.

Getting a second opinion from her GP could be difficult. She has a phobia of doctors and it took me weeks to convince her to go the first time, and she was so discouraged by his reaction that she can't face going back again. She has been let down by a lot of doctors in her life. He did a blood test and it didn't turn up anything abnormal, so he isn't going to do anything. She didn't say anything to him about her mood because she was afraid he'd think it was all in her head, which I guess he did anyway.

I've made an appointment to see another doctor at the surgery and talk to her about my mum. I know you aren't supposed to do that, but I can't think of any other way. If I can get a concrete promise that this doctor will do something, I'm hoping that will be enough to get my mum back through the doors again.

Unless your mum is under 5ft 3 then a weight of 8.5 stone will put her borderline underweight according to a BMI chart? They are not the best measure but are a guideline and are one that healthcare professionals will use as a meter.

If you can see another doctor to talk about what may be psychological issues rather than dietary ones then that may be a good idea. At the weight she is at she is considered "normal" which is most likely why she struggles to lose at this current point. Coupled with her age which although not a barrier can make weightloss harder post menopause, she needs to get her head around the fact that 8.5 stone may not be healthy for her and her body is doing its job of preventing her falling into that position.

Just a quick suggestion to the OP.. Maybe simply sugarfree juice will help. Drinking that gives her plenty of water while filling her stomach and the fruity flavour helps your brain think you have eaten something. I often begin to feel hungry when I'm bored (usually on my lazy days off) and drinking juice helps me feel full so I have less temptation to snack on stuff.

Personally it sounds like her body has reached it's own natural set point.

My BMI says I should be under 10st, but I honestly cannot get under that point without starving myself which I'm not prepared to do anymore. Despite what a text book says what your mum should weigh, she's probably at a good point for her.

This is probably also why the GP is reluctant to help, she's already a healthy weight.

Hi. I’m hoping to get some advice for a problem my mum is having. No matter how much she eats, she never stops feeling hungry. She often feels so hungry that her stomach actually hurts, even after eating a meal. In spite of this she has been dieting for three years and has dropped 4 dress sizes.

But this year she has been struggling to lose weight, and is about the same weight she was at the start of the year, even though she follows the plan religiously. She walks for 1-3 hours every day, and she doesn’t use more than a few syns each week (any time she tries to use more she gains several pounds). But she often gains weight anyway and struggles just to maintain.

She is finding it painful to restrict how much she eats even though she feels so hungry, but she knows that if she eats any more that she will gain weight. She is absolutely terrified of putting weight back on, but doesn’t know how much longer she can keep going.

She has seen her doctor but there isn’t anything he can do for her (except give her antidepressants, of course).

So I wanted to ask if you know of any non-prescription appetite suppressants that really work.

When you say she follows the plan religiously, just exactly what is she doing? Does she do red, green, EE or a mixture of all? Roughly how many syns is she having?

Just a quick suggestion to the OP.. Maybe simply sugarfree juice will help. Drinking that gives her plenty of water while filling her stomach and the fruity flavour helps your brain think you have eaten something. I often begin to feel hungry when I'm bored (usually on my lazy days off) and drinking juice helps me feel full so I have less temptation to snack on stuff.

Bear in mind that sugarfree jelly will contain sweetener, so if that is contributing to her hunger it will only make things worse. (I also find alcohol has this effect).

Her BMI is currently considered 'healthy' by the NHS but it's true as someone above said that even this may be set high for some body types. Try googling Health Central for a suggestion of a healthy weight based on build as well.

Feeling hungry is one of the worst things ever.
I hate it and can't sleep if I'm hungry.
Banana and a large glass of water can hit the spot.

Many cups of tea in a row.

New one is speed soup. Its full of beans, lentils and veg and really fills you up for a long time.
I also read online yesterday that if you have a bit of peanut butter with your breakfast it can supress cravings and so on for up to 12 hours!

Back