HELP - SCARED OF PLANE TAKE-OFF

shrm26

Glamorous Gran
Hi All,
im due to make a 10 hour flight in 4 weeks and wondered if anyone has any tips to offer as i HATE take offs. I experience very severe dizziness while the plane's at that horrid incline angle but am fine once it levels out. What has happened now is that i get really worked up before the flight and am in tears. My problem now is that my DH has had to fly on ahead of me due to a bereavement and i will have to fly alone.i visualize myself not getting on the flight and that just cant happen.....PLEASE HELP!!!!!

shrm
i am a long haul flight attendant
( not a blonde bimbo in pink kind of trolley dolley as we are stereotyped)
i cant do it right this second ( just landed from new york)
but PLEASE dont worry - pm me - and i will talk you through every stage of the take off tell you what is happening etc etc etc and hopefully this will help put your mind at rest about your fears
i will say one thing - i KNOW someone on here will advise you to take drugs - if you decide to do that then be very careful what you take - even if dr prescribed - due to the difference in teh air when flying in a pressurised cabin some drugs and all alcohol has a different effect to that it wuld have on teh ground and mixing the two can be very nasty - especially when on a vlcd or empty tummy

anyway

ill try and pm you in a couple of hours and help you out

in the meantime PLEASE pm me and give me as much info as you can
have you had a horrible take off experience? do yu know what triggered this fear?

bbl

I think a few shorts will cure that , but only to the point you can still stand up lol cos they won't let you on board lol . Also the crew will be more than happy to help you so you don't feel alone

Thanks for the advice girls,

Slushy, i will PM you later as im at work at the mo.
Vicky, thanks for the link...will have a look in a minute.
inthesummerof69, that remedy sounds ace but knowi'll bring it all up, YUK!!!

I have bought a hypnosis cd for fear of flying and have used it once so far. i have noticed that i dont get that churning feeling in my stomach when i think of the plane or see one in the air so hopefully the cd will help. Want to use it a couple of times a week til i go.

Vallium ;) Oh, and closing my eyes, pretending I'm not there and going to my happy place

My brother is a very nervous flyer. He took Valium and was far far worse. I've never seen him like that. This year we went to Bulgaria and we are going away in a few weeks to the Dom Rep and he now just has a shot of whisky.......he gets a bit embarrassed stinking of booze at 08.00 in the morning, but it takes the edge off his nerves. I'm only talking about a shot......not a bottle...lol. He once read 'more people die each year plugging in a toaster then on planes'......I have found him chanting that to himself before he gets on a flight.

I would pm the flight attendant. She after all is the expert and should be able to reassure you.

Good luck hun.

My brother is a very nervous flyer. He took Valium and was far far worse. I've never seen him like that. This year we went to Bulgaria and we are going away in a few weeks to the Dom Rep and he now just has a shot of whisky.......he gets a bit embarrassed stinking of booze at 08.00 in the morning, but it takes the edge off his nerves. I'm only talking about a shot......not a bottle...lol. He once read 'more people die each year plugging in a toaster then on planes'......I have found him chanting that to himself before he gets on a flight.

I would pm the flight attendant. She after all is the expert and should be able to reassure you.

Good luck hun.

thanks sharon, not sure i want to go down the valium route:crazy: unless absolutely necessary.

My sister said to stick my fingers in my ears really hard so no air can get in and close my eyes, does anyone know if this will work?

What did you think of the website hun, I loved it, Im a travel agent and give it to a lot of my customers too.

I hate that feeling too, but its much more common than we think, its amazing how many people I speak to that get the dizziness, I thought it was just me but its not.

Im also a great believer in Bachs rescue remedey, its probabaly aLl in my head but it works ;)

What did you think of the website hun, I loved it, Im a travel agent and give it to a lot of my customers too.
ITS A REALLY GOOD WEBSITE, ONLY PROBLEM IS I WONT KNOW IF ITS WORKED UNTIL I GET ON THE FLIGHT!!

Im also a great believer in Bachs rescue remedey, its probabaly aLl in my head but it works ;)
WHATS THIS AND WHERE CAN I GET IT - RIGHT NOW I'M WILLING TO TRY EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING, LOL

i did this course about a year ago as was petrified of flying but was offered a promotion at work that meant i'd have to travel a lot. this course helped massively. can get on a plane now without even thinking twice. it's almost second nature.

best of luck to you though!
THANKS CH - GLAD THE COURSE HELPED YOU, HOPE IT DOES THE SAME FOR ME AS I WOULD DEARLY LOVE TO TRAVEL MORE. DID THINK OF TAKING A SHORT DOMESTIC FLIGHT TO SEE IF ANY OF THE REMEDIES WORK BUT DECIDED AGAINST IT. IF THEY DIDNT WORK THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL I WOULD GET ON THE PLANE FOR A LONG HAUL......

WHATS THIS AND WHERE CAN I GET IT - RIGHT NOW I'M WILLING TO TRY EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING, LOL

Hi shrm26 :D

I have also used Bach's Rescue Remedy. You can get it from any high street pharmacy. I carry a spray bottle of it in my work bag permanently and recommend it to many of my clients for anxiety after they have stopped drugs or alcohol. For me...it works. I guess it can't help to try it :)

I also really really do not like take offs and landings but am fine during the flight. I have to say that for me personally, when I have had to fly alone and not previously with my husband to Nigeria or the US, I have surprisingly been totally ok and coped with the take off with no probs!!
I believe that that was because I knew I had to be ok, I had to get to that country and as I was alone and couldn't share my panic with my husband at the time, just did it.

Hope any of this helps....:D:D:D:D

Lacey xx

Last edited:
I have surprisingly been totally ok and coped with the take off with no probs!!
I believe that that was because I knew I had to be ok, I had to get to that country and as I was alone and couldn't share my panic with my husband at the time, just did it.

thats a positive outlook and one which i will try to adopt, thanks for your reponse. xx

Still trying to approach this fear with gritted teeth. The hypnosis cd appears to have reduced my butterflies everytime i think about the flight so i think it may be working. has anyone else used hypnosis for something like this and how did you get on?

glad to hear youre progressing shrm

hypnosis will work - even if just to relax you - half the battle is a positive attitude and believing in yourself - believe that you will be ok - believe that it will work!!!

Back