HELP! Weight loss and muscle gain!

I will succeed!!!
Hi –

Here’s the deal. I got my ½ stone last night (but have lost 1 stone total since Christmas). I go on holiday in a month and aim to lose another ½ stone by then. Because I’ll be braving the dreaded bikini, I am going to up the exercise between now and then to hopefully tone a little, especially my tummy and hips as they're jiggle central atm. I’ll be doing a run 3-4 times a week (2 miles each time) and sit ups etc.

Bearing in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, and the fact the body builds a little muscle before burning the fat – does anyone have any suggestions to do both in tandum? I used to be scarily active before the weight gain and tend to tone quite fast (hence my fear of the scales struggling).

I’m hoping to lose 1.5-2 lbs a week and fingers crossed drop a dress size before the Beach of Doom.

Thanks xxx

Hi Kristin -

Thanks for the lovely reply :)

I won't be gutted if I STS but tone or anything, but when I get my grasp on something I'm all guns blazing hehe. I'm just really wanting to hit my end goal by September if possible (wedding dress reasons ;) )

I'll stay level headed, but I'd be made up if I lost and toned...let's hope the choccy stays in the pantry away from causing harm hehe xxx

hey hon, muscle doesn weigh more than fat it just takes up about 18% less space so it may be that your converting rather than losing so bear that in mind XXX

Muscle doesn't weight more than fat, a lb of muscle weighs the same as a lb of fat, but its denser. You can't actually convert fat to muscle either, you need to burn the fat off and define the muscle. The best thing you can do is cardio and weight bearing exercises (squats, lunges, crunches bicep curls, tricep dips, chest presses etc etc high reps lower weights) in the same session - basically think "burning fat sculpting muscles", you'll look fab in no time.

Agree with the girls above, it's a bit of a mis-quote really saying muscle weighs more and often people at class say they have gained/not lost as they have done lots of exercise that week so it must be muscle. Not true!!
My new consultant dismisses these comments! Also, people expect a huge difference in weight losses when they start to exercise. Apparently ( we were told this last night ) exercise will only constitute a 12-24lb weight loss per year in addition to the "normal" weight loss. Also, this isn't really sustainable - as in you won't do this every year!

I would say, follow the eating plan, exercise, enjoy the benefits of both and reap the rewards. Exercising will NOT make you put weight on!!

Agree with the girls above, it's a bit of a mis-quote really saying muscle weighs more and often people at class say they have gained/not lost as they have done lots of exercise that week so it must be muscle. Not true!!

Very true. Did you know that a body builder has to eat approx 44,500 calories over maintenance to gain a pound of muscle?

And that's a bloke. It takes an age, and a whole load of calories for a lady to put on a pound, unless they are extremely unfit.

Exercising is great, but more important in maintenance and for health benefits rather than to see a loss on the scales. Resistance does help to reduce the amount of lean loss (muscle loss), which happens on any diet.

You can put on weight after exercise though...but not fat. Just a little water which zooms to the muscles whilst they repair. This is important, and nothing to get stressed about.

Exercise...enjoy the new lifestyle, but don't expect a scale loss.

Last edited:
I thought it was 3,500 cals to 1 lb of fat ?

Has anyone heard of afterburn?? Seen it on the recent diet programme, REALLY interesting, Hour and a half of steady exercise and the bloke on telly lost 19g of fat, bag of crisps, he went home went to bed went back to be tested for fat loss the next day and he had lost 40g just sleeping! App you burn carbs first, when they are depleted, it starts on the fat. Interesting fact...

I've really toned legs, I cycle/walk 5miles+per day (my job) been doing this for 10yrs and was told by my nurse that muscle does weigh more then fat?? Go figure??

Hugs
;)

Muscle can't 'weigh' more that fat, it weighs the same. But takes up less space. 1 lb of feathers weighs the same as 1 lb of lead, but would take up a much larger space, hence the feathers are fatter. Fat is feathers, and muscle is lead. Simpols.

was told by my nurse that muscle does weigh more then fat??
;)

Depends what you are measuring it against.

A cubic inch of muscle will weigh more than a cubic inch of fat

A pound of muscle is weigh the same as a pound of fat. Just like a pound of feathers weigh the same as a pound of concrete :)

Not sure which one your nurse was referring to, but I do know that many nurses don't really have much training in this area.

I know that even my doctor wasn't aware of what it takes to gain muscle. She admitted to not being trained on that side of things and leaves it up to dieticians and the trainers at the local sports centres for these finer details.:)

Exercise...enjoy the new lifestyle, but don't expect a scale loss.

I'm doing the exercise for toning and fitness reasons only - but I am hoping that by following SW alongside it, to still have a loss weigh wise (i.e. shift the excess baggage hehe).

Interesting replies everyone - thank you :)

I know that a tonne of one thing is a tonne of another, but I think myself and the others who said about fat being lighter than muscle mean in the 'if you take a square inch of this and this...' way :)

Off to do body combat at the gym tonight - first time at this class so hopefully it'll not kill me! It seems a good balance of cardio and core strength to fingers crossed!

Thanks again xxx

I know - hehe - sorry! x

Back