Help with flabby skin!

malaika

Lover of Extra Easy
I am a bit stressed out about this, as I never had flabby or wrinkly skin, but since reaching initial target, and losing more it seems to have appeared.
Now, I have the slender shape, I feel I can't wear nice summery clothes as I need to hide the awful skin... my tummy has always been a bit like that but that's not what worries me, it's my legs, from knees up and my arms!
When I went to the doc last week about my weight loss, she said apart form surgery, which I don't want, there is not much one can do but exercise and some creams may help.
I am worried that it will get worse if I can't stop losing weight!
Can anyone suggest something that may help reduce the flabby skin. I know it won't go completely but it's ugly!
You may remember I posted a thread about this last week, and went to the doctor who did not find anything wrong but I did have a blood test today, so will see from that.
I lost another 2 pounds this week, and I am finding it rather embarrassing going to class where some people are really struggling to lose and I had at least 50 syns a day plus 4 Hexs and still lost.
I never thought I would complain about losing but I don't want to lose any more -
my skin won't take it!

Hey

i've been reading about this recently, and apparently the loose skin is to do with body fat ratio. you may need to build muscle to replace what muscle you've lost on your journey.

do you do any kind of exercise? building muscle can be done in many ways so it's best to have a google to see what works best and have a go!

it should vastly improve over time as your skin shrinks down. exercise will certainly help tone it up. try not to worry about it hon. it may take a while as our skin takes longer to adjust when we lose weight, but it will happen :)

• I found this which might help

Answer
    Unfortunately, lotions promising skin 'firming' aren't worth the price of the plastic they come in. They work using an antihistamine and caffeine type of topical treatment that "may" cause temporary tautness of skin and give the "appearance" of firming. The smallest print usually explains this is in the opinion of users. The percentage of firming can be as little as 1 %, as long as they think they saw some firming, it counts. The bottom line? It's a well worded scam.

Other than surgery, the ONLY way to firm skin is to firm the muscles beneath it. Some significant weight losses, such as yours, may not respond to time+diet+exercise which works for most. If you're over a certain age (40 or so) and depending on heredity, skin elasticity varies (diminishing with age).

I can tell you personally that it took well over two years for mine to finally catch up to the smaller me underneath and I attribute a lot of this to swimming/water exercise. It could be anything though, walking is simple enough and works.

You might want to talk about this with a physician. If the proper health and/or psychological challenges are cited and he/she works with you, it may be covered by medical insurance.
    Asking for names of reconstructive surgeons who do this pro bono (free) or at a reduction may result in help.

By the way - CONGRATULATIONS on your tremendous accomplishment and I trust you'll have continued success! You've done a remarkable thing!

www.GetTheReal.info

Swimming is the best exercise I have found to date that will tone and firm things up for you. The best stroke for stomach muscles and bingo wings is the breast stroke.

right, im going swimming tomorrow then!

Thank you all...
Right, it's swimming for me.. :)
I am a real couch potato but I have been walking quite a lot recently!

Hi Malaika, like you, I suddenly noticed baggy skin - most noticeably just above my knees and on my stomach. Now I don't consider myself old at 44 so was a bit worried. However, as well as exercising I've been using a different moisturiser for the last couple of weeks and noticed a vast improvement. I live in France so can't really recommend the brand to you, as it's a supermarket's own brand - and a "value" one at that! But it's very similar in texture and smell to Nivea creme. So if you can find the equivalent product in the UK give it a try. I'm off to buy in bulk as it is really cheap :D

Last edited:
Thank you Leapfrog! I will try..
So, I'll try swimming, and some exercise and a cream.
Someone told me to get a good buffing glove (is that what they are called?) and give the skin a good buff every day in the shower, and then apply a good cream, so I will try that too :)

it certainly can't hurt, but i really really think the key is exercise. build up the muscle and you'll be on to a winner.

skin is a living working organ so it can adjust, but with excess body fat (to muscle ratio) the skin bagg's, so all you have to do is build up your muscles and that will burn off the body fat.

are you a member of a gym or health club? or even if you go to your GP, as for a body fat test. that might shed some light on it.

but i bet it's not as bad as some, i bet you still look fabulous after such amazing weight loss! well done!

I think at the end of the day the only person it will bother is you. I bet you'll find most women will look at your new lovely slim figure with total envy. Who cares about a bump or two. I've got the whole muffin top with added topping going on. Embrace your body and flaunt your stuff :cool:

it certainly can't hurt, but i really really think the key is exercise. build up the muscle and you'll be on to a winner.

skin is a living working organ so it can adjust, but with excess body fat (to muscle ratio) the skin bagg's, so all you have to do is build up your muscles and that will burn off the body fat.

are you a member of a gym or health club? or even if you go to your GP, as for a body fat test. that might shed some light on it.

but i bet it's not as bad as some, i bet you still look fabulous after such amazing weight loss! well done!

Thanks for the compliment. I am quite confident with my clothes on!
No, I am a couch potato and there is a gym 1 minute from my house... maybe I should inquire there!
Twenty odd years ago I used to go to gym twice a day (I tend to overdo things) and I did aerobics until I put my back out, and never bothered since.
I think my GP is a bit out of it to be fair.
She is a slender woman, and when I went for my visit she really didn't seem to care really. She did all the BP, heart test etc, and now my blood test. She had never heard of SW, which really surprised me and said that once my blood results come through, if there is nothing wrong she will discuss healthy eating with me!! :( Err SW is healthy eating, but I think she wears blinkers!
Anyway, if my blood test comes out ok and I know I am fine, then my mind will be at rest and I will just continue gradually adding syns and HEXs until it settles!

Hi Sonia, I agree with the others - exercise is the best way to improve skin firmness. Another suggestion is dry body brushing. Before I started SW I did CD (awful I know) and the consultant had lost about 7 stone and I promise you she looked exactly like Cindy Crawford (albeit a blonde version). You would never know that she was ever overweight and she said it was all exercise and daily dry body brushing so its definitely something to consider.

An excellent cream I swear by is Creme de Corps by Kiehl's. It seriously tightens my skin. If you do some body toning exercises 3 x a week, use a body brush daily and the lotion you'll be fine!

Well done on your losses! What's your secret???? :D

Your skin has probably lost some of its elasticity since loosing such huge amounts of weight so it is important to moisturise moisturise moisturise. Nothing fancy just good old fashioned E45,Aveeno , swiss formula, etc. it will help improve the appearance of your skin. It has certainly helped my turkey neck. By the way Sonia what IS your secret lol xxx

Thanks everyone....:D All your tips are wonderful, an I really appreciate them.
This site is the best!

I don't have any secrets apart from only eating only when I am hungry.
When I started SW I stuck to 3 meals a day plus free foods as snacks. I was a slow loser!
When I lost my job in November I went into stress mode when I don't eat, and the weight started coming off more rapidly.
Then I re-read Paul McKenna's book and since then I have only eaten when hungry. Some days it might only be one meal a day, which is most of the time, but I do eat when hungry, so always have some SW snacks available.
I now work for myself at home, am stress free but still stick to that eat when hungry theory, and it works for me!

Back