Red Day Help with Lamb Shish Kebab

teresa32uk

Silver Member
This evening i really fancied a kebab, so i went to Sainsburys bought some lean lamb chunks and grilled these on skewers. I put them when cooked in a brown pitta and added some chilli sauce.

This was tasty and i would have it again, although i wondered what they do to meat in kebab shops to make it taste they way it does.

Not sure if anyone knows the answer my guess is the use herbs but which ones?

If anyone can help would be great.:confused:

Ingredients

1lb lean Minced Lamb
1 small Onion
1tspn dried Oregano
1tspn dried Thyme
1tspn sea salt
quarter tspn black pepepr
2tspns Minced or crushed Garlic

Preparation

Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel the garlic cloves and mince or crush, I used a garlic press.

Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend. This effects the texture of the meat, it makes it smooth so that it binds together and isn't grainey like minced meat. Cover and leave in the fridge for 2 hours, if possible leave longer as this allows the flavours to marinate.

If you have a spit, form the mixture into an oblong and slowly rotate/cook over the grill for about 30 - 40 minutes making sure its not too close to the coals/flames.

If like me you have an oven, preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas Mark 3.

Shape the mixture into a loaf (like meatloaf) and place onto a wire rack over a baking tray, this allows the fat to run off. Place it in the oven and leave for 45 mins to 1hr, when it's ready it should be a bit dry. Keep an eye on it as you will need to drain off the excess fat which collects on the baking tray.

Serve with a salad, pitta bread (HE - not supposed to be HE as it lacks fibre but I think it's a personal choice or 7 syns) and tzatziki.

Syns per serving:

FREE on a red day

try making these :)

Hi Teresa,

One of the best ways to marinade lamb is with yogurt, I found this recipe online, however I just mix all my spices in with the yoghurt, coat the lamb and leave it overnight before cooking:)

1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt2 cloves garlic, crushed2 teaspoons salt2 tablespoons lemon juice1 teaspoon ground coriander 1 tablespoon olive oil1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper1/2 teaspoon black pepper1 lemon, cut into wedges

Notes:
1. Cut the lamb into 1-inch cubes, discarding any fat.
2. In a large bowl combine the yogurt, garlic, salt, lemon juice, coriander, oil, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Add the lamb and stir well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and for as long as overnight.
3. Turn on the broiler. Thread the meat onto skewers. Cook the lamb until it is browned on the outside but still pink in the center.

Enjoy :)

that sounds very tasty! I'm new to using the yoghurt, made some lovely cajun chicken skewers last night with a parsley yoghurt dip.

Back