Help with Low GI diet for blood sugars issues

MissBizkit

Hi everyone, Ive just joined today as Ive been reading this forum for a bit.

Im not overweight, but Im hoping I can join to get some support with my diet. I have something not quite right with my blood sugar and always have since I can remember. Ive been for blood tests and such but they havent found anything, Im currently battling with my gp to get the proper tests needed but its a losing battle. Basically if I dont eat every 2-3 hrs I get shaky, weak, palpitations, sweat, dizzy, things like that, the symptoms of hypoglycemia. I dont have diabetes but this is what I worry about now that Im getting older. Before Ive always just got on with it,always have a chocolate bar handy etc.

A few years back I was looking into hypoglycemia and found out its linked to pcos, which got me thinking, I have a few symptoms of this, but after normal blood tests was told if I did have it it was probably only mild.

Apart from my fear of eventually getting diabetes, I have battled with acne since I was a teenager.Im now 29 and still suffer and its taking over my life. I recently have got really low about this and all I want it too feel normal and be able to do normal things. I also feel constantly tired not matter how much sleep I get, this isnt normal.

I found out about the low gi diet after researching pcos and how it can be reversed through diet.
Im convinced my skin issues are directly linked to my blood sugar issues and Im determined to cure myself, enough is enough, however I need help

Ive cut back on sugary processed foods alot the past few years but its not enough.
I have two young children which also makes things difficult along with not alot of money, so I tend to just end up eating what the family does as I cant really afford to have seperate meals for me everyday.
I recently cut down my dairy intake and so far after a few weeks Ive seen significant inprovement in my skin, so Im sticking to that aswell
I look forward to reading all your progress with your goals and hopefully getting some meal ideas

My main troubles are lunch ideas as I want to avoid bread completely, also ideas to have with soup and snack ideas are hard to come up with too. I dont drink fizzy drinks, I dont eat sweets or crisps etc, I eat healthier than most people I know, my weakness is that one biscuit with my cuppa ;) and we have a 'tea time' everyday at around 4ish when the kids get back from school, this is where I will usually eat something sugary. Ive been very good the past few days and not had any biscuits with my cuppa but I dont think I can carry that on forever, I need alternatives :D
I guess to me its a clear skin diet and I have my goals, and just a general all round healthier lifestyle to achieve.

You're making a lot of great changes; I'm sure you'll do well. Have you got any low GI or low GL books? These (as well as browsing around diaries) will give you lots of ideas for lunches and snacks. :) I know Jennie Brand-Miller has written a book on low GI for pcos.

For the afternoon tea time, I'd suggest having a snack already planned each day so that you don't wind up taking the path of least resistance when it arrives.

For lunch, I like substantial soups or salads - if I'm at home I might make a stir-fry.

If your soup is substantial you shouldn't need much with it, but if you want something crunchy then oatcakes or high fibre wholegrain crackers (like the food doctor ones) would be a good choice.

Also look up oat scone bread in the recipes sticky, this is made entirely of porridge oats (no wheat) and doesn't cause bread cravings for most people.

Good luck; look forward to reading your updates. :)

Forgot to say (on my phone and can't see what I'm replying to!) , low GI is a healthy way to eat, so you shouldn't have to do separate family meals. You can give the others a bit more of the carb items or cheese sprinkled on things etc. (and as I'm sure you know kids shouldn't have restrictions on fat or fruit etc). Since you're not trying to lose weight it needn't be especially low calorie. :)

Check out some of the recipes in the thread in the stickies section of this forum. There are great recipe ideas.
As Plum suggested, soups are a good lunch idea. You can make pretty chunky ones which will be very filling. Instead of bread, I will have rye crackers or oat cakes or some of the oat bread( recipe in stickie section).
Lunches I have include:
Two boiled eggs chopped with a big salad with some mixed seeds and two oatcakes
Tuna salad
Cold meat salad
Any chunky soup. Chuck whatever veg you have in a pot with some stock. Add a tablespoon of creme fraiche , pepper and enjoy!
Beetroot chopped with a tomato, gherkins and celery with balsamic vinegar and pepper. A slice oat bread.
Two bran and pear muffins(recipe in thread in stickies section)
Beans of any kind are a great low GL food. You don't have to use dried. Tinned borlotti, cannelini, broad, kidney etc are all great as are chick peas or lentils and are also very cheap.
Frozen berries with yoghurt make a great sweet treat. Again they are inexpensive.
I'd recommend reading Patrick Holford's low GL diet bible which is a very indepth read.
Good luck and keep posting.

Back