Help with low gl diet?

LJB12

Hiya

Been recommended the holford diet by my personal trainer, and have done a fair bit of reading. It all seems to make sense, but have a couple of questions.

Lots of the recipes seemed to include nuts, but I have a nut allergy. Any ideas on what I can substitute?

I am also very intolerant of a high fibre diet, it causes extreme flatulence and diarrhoea. This seems to be a cumulative thing where if I eat lots of beans, salad, etc for a few days I end up crippled. Again, any ideas?

Last question I like to cook my own meals from scratch, as I don't eat fish, and just always have. The only way I can see of really knowing what Is in. Meal though is to follow one of the Holford recipes. Is there any resource that I can use to plan the gl of my meals?

I have 6 stone at least to lose, and the holford plan makes a lot of sense but any diet is tough for me with the issues I have as above.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, this is a pretty quiet forum. Mostly it's me talking to myself and I'm new to GL eating.

Ive read the Holford books, but don't follow them to the letter. I'm trying to maintain my weight, rather than lose, so I'm a bit more free and easy.

Nuts - could you swop them for seeds instead?

High Fibre - not sure as I tend to have the opposite problem. Perhaps it might be an idea to very slowly increase the amount of fibre in your diet until you find the tipping point and then scale back down slightly from that point?

Cooking from scratch is great and something I now do more of. I'm not aware of any resources that'll calculate the GL of your meals. I know in the Holford books he gives portion sizes for 5gl or 10 gl servings, but I'm not following his diet strictly enough that I have gotten into that.

My advice would be to make a start and worry about the fine detail as you get into it. There's lots of great recipes in this forum.

Good luck.

Hi
You're right .. This forum is far toooo quiet and their GI/GL way of eating is fab :)

I don't follow it to the letter but knowing the right foods to eat is great x I calorie count on MFP too so I don't go too far over x

I cook everything scratch too .. No ready made stuff here :) do then there's no hidden "stuff"

Seeds instead of nuts ..??? But they will give you flatulence too ..!! But Rhys is right .. Keep adding little bits until you find your threshold ..!!

Good luck ... And lots of posting please :)
Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi

I'm one of the ones that "lurks" on this page. I fell off the wagon quite some time ago but hope I will get back on it asap. the GI/GL way of life is so good and it is not difficult but like everything you need to plan well and be in the right frame of mind I believe.

I went to Patrick Holford's talk a few months back, again very useful and I took a lot away from it....

Allergy to nuts - one thing PH said was that you can be allergic to one type of nut but not others. I'm not sure how allergic you are to nuts and obviously don't suggest that you try anything if you have a severe allergy but he did say that peanuts are not actually nuts (I can't remember what he said they came under), so therefore if you were allergic to peanuts you might not actually be allergic to almonds, walnuts etc. You could just omit the nuts from a recipe and increase the protein or use some other form of protein depending on the recipe. Seeds etc (pumpkin, sesame, poppy) might work.

With regard to flatulence and diarrhoea, this may settle down when your diet is corrected. I suffered with IBS for many years and had all the symptoms you said but when I followed the GL diet this corrected itself. Now if I eat too many potatoes I will suffer and similarly beans etc so I just make sure to limit the portions and not eat them with other foods that I know trigger the problem (eg onion). I also take a Digestive Enzyme Supplement tablet with each meal and this has been working wonders for bloating etc. You could try that and see if it helps. Supposedly a great digestive tea (although I have yet to try it) is to steep 1tsp of fennel seeds in a cup of hot water. The seeds will settle to the bottom and you drink the water. It helps to ease excess gas and stomach discomfort.

I don't know of any resource to track the GL count but there is a great little book called the GL counter that might help you, it's cheap online - can't remember who its by but it's a green cover.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Hi, I found a reduction in my dairy intake really helped my ibs symptoms, then I was able to reintroduce a bit when it had settled.
For protein, eggs are great, I could eat them at every meal!

Back