Help with understanding CC & exercising After a vlcd?

claire30

Banned
Hello all I've come across MFP and it looks like a very handy tool to use daily. I'm confused really because I'm currently on a vlcd ( slim & save) if I wanted to come off the diet how would I go about losing weight again without gaining it all back on?
Im thinking about using my months supply daily still maybe a shake a day but staying around 800 cals for a few weeks with exercising still??

Then increasing my caloires slowly up to 1200 but mentally I want to do this in small steps :) eating 800 cals aday with exercise will be ok Wont it??

Claire x

I lost just over 4 stone on lighterlife then moved to calorie countimg but i did do the lighterlife refeed programme and every week added an extra 100 calories a day until i was where i needed to be. 800 calories a day isnt really good long term if you are no longer on the vlcd.

So week 1 i was at 700 calories
Week 2 was 800 and so on.

After the refeed i dropped to 1200 (plus exercise calories) to lose another 3.5 or so stone on calorie counting.

I followed the refeed programme fully right up to maintenance as it is a tried and tested programme and them i dropped my calories to lose more, i did not gain at all.

For the first 2 weeks no carbs at all then they were only in fruit and veg and yogurt etc. Complex carbs in potatoes, pasta, cereal etc didnt come until week 8.

Now i am maintaining. I still follow calorie counting, keep an eye on my fats and sugars but eat loads if carbs and i am not finding it difficult to maintain anymore (apart from this week as i am off work for the week and as it is my "holiday" i am splurging)

Oh thank you for your reply :) so you did move up slowly then? 700-800 then added 100 each week? and u didnt gain weight? wow you have done fantastic havent you:D

claire x

Thank you.

Yep that is exactly what i did.

It did mess my metabolism up but in the last few weeks it has gotten a lot better.

I am only 5ft nothing and 114-115lbs so can't really expect to eat loads. I think i blamed the diet for messing my metabolism but it has finally sunk in i just can't go mad lol. I eat my exercise calories so that helps.

I now eat 1300 calories 6 days a week and then up to 2000 one day a week. I then eat exercise calories on top of this.

I was 113.4lbs this morning (want to keep at 115 really as never want to go below 112) but from tomorrow until end of sunday i am off work so we are doing things every day (instead of going away) so want to eat whatever i want. I am prepared for a gain and know i can easily lose it if i gain more than 2lbs. I wont go mad as my lifestyle has changed now and it's no longer in my brain to just let go lol

Goodthingssmallpackages has done tremendous! I did a VLCD for over 2 and a half months, and I lost 4 stone on it and then rather than gradually bump up my cals and carbs, I just went straight into healthy eating and exercise. Check out my signature - I gained for 2 weeks straight!!!

I think I have peaked now and I hope to gradually come down again, but yeah its disheartening! lol

Thanks aaron

You definitely have nothing to worry about, it will just be your glycogen stores filling up quicker than mine as you brought in carbs/sugars sooner.

As I brought them back slower it just meant I lost more than I gained from the glycogen levels coming back. I still would have gained weight from the glycogen filling back up but I lost more so it didn't come out as an overall gain. I lost less than usual for a few weeks, just no gain.

You have done amazing to lose 4 stone in a short time. This may sound sexist but from what I have been told a lot of men find it more of a challenge to stick to a diet/lifestyle change (not sure if that's true but I know I can't think of any men I know personally who would want to watch what they eat)

This will be me next week after coming off exante... hope to STS for a while.

Back