HELP!!

I am so confused!
I have been on a 500 cal a day food diet
with weekly weigh ins by my doc..
i lost around 24/25 lbs in the first month then had a very serious health relapse (i have M.E) and two deaths to deal with and a huge lot of stress put on me.

So I have not been in the right state of mind to carry on with the 500 cals but am trying my best and kind of sticking to 1000/1500 and sometimes under but have not been well enough to get to the doctors and be weighed.

Now my mum comes to visit me about once a week and she says she can see im still loosing and I myself can fit into smaller clothes..

BUT i decided to buy some scales online as i was worried and wanted to see how things were going. I brought some quite expensive electronic weight watchers ones that had good reviews.

So today i weighed myself..Before i started my diet i was over 23 and a half stone but no one knows how much over as thats as far as my docs scales go, after two months i was 306 lbs.

So i step on the scales and this is was happens
24st 11lbs.
I was flabbergasted. I KNOW i cannot be more than when i started as i fit clothes i have not for ages and my measurements are much smaller, so i step on again and it says 21st 1lb i try again and it says 23st 4lbs i have no idea what is going on!
I switch it to lbs i step on 340lbs (i was 306 last time i was weighed by doc and i feel NO bigger now) step on again 314lbs
and again 308.

I move the scales to a different part of my house and it comes up as 17st 11lbs
WHAT IS GOING ON!?!

last few tries on a carpet with no pile at all
and i get 19.4 19.8 and 19.2.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?!
On what weight i should believe more??
Im so stressed out and scared now!
:(

Last edited:
Hiya

Often different scales weigh differently, which is why we say pick a set and stick to them! :eek: The difficulty for you is obviously not knowing where you started (I have a similar problem) but you know that you are losing weight, and that things are heading in the right direction.

I was weighed by the hospital because I was going for spinal injections, and their scales said 333 lbs. When I weighed on my new scales it said 339 :eek: I decided that I would go by my scales, even though it meant a higher weight, because I will weigh on them regularly.

I also promised my Dr that I won't weigh more than once a month because it's not about the numbers - it's about my health.

What sort of VLCD are you doing?

because you didnt buy the scales and weigh yourself at the same time as the docs you have no way of acuately comparing them. It also sounds like the scales are not good anyway if they keep giving yu false reading.

I would stick to what you are doing and use the docs scales. Alternatively you could try the scales at boots as they should be accurate.

chin up and good luck xx

Thanks girls :)
Think i'll have to just wait till i can get weighed by the docs...
Just had a massive panic and started crying!
But i phoned my mate and she said i cant get upset about scales that have a 7 stone difference in a matter of seconds.
Its just really hard as im so ill and cant exorcise so i panic i will put it all back on all the time.
Im not on any particular diet, I wanted to go on LL but I can't attend meetings because of my illness and they said I had to so the doctor said i should have 500 cals a day and write down what i eat so i can show her.
At the moment im too weak to eat that little so im just trying to eat a lot of Meat and Fish, fruit and some rice or cous cous but ive upped my cal intake.
I'm planning to go back to 500 once i am a little better and hopefully if my illness gets better do CD or LL.
xx

Send them back... I bought WW scales and had the same problem, fluctuated by 4/5 stones depending where they were in the house.

Either that or settle them in one spot and use that as your wi and put the scales on the same spot once a day. Even if they show a totally different weight to your doctors, the weight loss should be the same

so the doctor said i should have 500 cals a day and write down what i eat so i can show her.
At the moment im too weak to eat that little so im just trying to eat a lot of Meat and Fish, fruit and some rice or cous cous but ive upped my cal intake.
I'm planning to go back to 500 once i am a little better and hopefully if my illness gets better do CD or LL.
xx

Oh hun, I feel sure that their was some misunderstanding here. What they usually recommend is that you eat 500 calories less a day, rather than just 500 cals a day...which really isn't healthy unless you are on a plan such as Cambridge/LL or LT.

Is there a possible chance that you either misheard, or the doctor didn't explain properly?

Do try to ignore the scales. Sounds like they need replacing. :hug99:

I agree with KD hun and wonder whether your doctor has taken the time to explain things fully to you and listen to you:confused:

As far as the scales go, I think we have all driven ourselves mad at one time or another with them. Moving them around and getting on and off. I would think about replacing them as soon as you can as they do sound faulty!

Lacey ..x :)

eating just 500 calories a day, is not enough calories to sustain you..

Hiya :)
Yeah everyone thinks that its mad to eat 500 cals a day..
But there was no misunderstanding.
500 a day, write a food diary come in every week and get weighed and give the doc your food diary.

I think the reason she put me on such low cals is because it is impossible for me to exorcise.
I am completely bed bound most days so I can't even go for gentle walks.
Its a catch 22.. I put on the weight because im ill..i cant loose it because im ill.
I went from being a very very happy active 14st 19 year old student who owned and rode horses to a ill bed bound depressed lump, not able to go to college or have my horses and over 23 n a half stone in one year.
I just feel like i have to fight my body everyday so loosing control of my weight again scares the living day lights out of me as you can imagine!!
I'm really worried that when i am going above 500 cals i will just put it all back on but i also feel at the moment that 500 cals is just not enough as im so weak from my illness.
:sigh:

I think the reason she put me on such low cals is because it is impossible for me to exorcise.

Even bed bound at your current weight, you would lose on 1100-1200 cals a day.

If your doctor, for some reason, feels that you should be on 500 cals a day, then the doctor should be supplying you with a formula of some kind so that you can get everything you need.

You really need to ask her/him why they are suggesting something very unhealthy.

Hiya :)
Yeah everyone thinks that its mad to eat 500 cals a day..
But there was no misunderstanding.
500 a day, write a food diary come in every week and get weighed and give the doc your food diary.

I am completely bed bound most days so I can't even go for gentle walks.
Its a catch 22.. I put on the weight because im ill..i cant loose it because im ill.
I went from being a very very happy active 14st 19 year old student who owned and rode horses to a ill bed bound depressed lump, not able to go to college or have my horses and over 23 n a half stone in one year.
I just feel like i have to fight my body everyday so loosing control of my weight again scares the living day lights out of me as you can imagine!!
I'm really worried that when i am going above 500 cals i will just put it all back on but i also feel at the moment that 500 cals is just not enough as im so weak from my illness.

Hi :)

Your doctor expects you to go into the surgery then every week for a check up then? Even when you are bed bound most of the time? That sounds quite harsh, sorry. It must be such a struggle.

Lacey..x :)

Yeah it is a struggle..
Which is why i have not been able to go in and get weighed and why i brought those bloomin scales in the first place!
Im not sure what i should do..
Seeing as she has told me to be on a foodpack diet i need to go to the meetings and as i cant even handle getting a cab and sitting in the docs for a few mins each week there is no way i could handle a whole meeting.
She said if i do not loose the weight i will need surgery and i cant as part of the reason i got so ill in the first place was general anastetic (sorry dont know how to spell that :S) from having to have my tonsils out from glandular fever.
So surgery is out of the question but so is having a heart attack.
I honestly have no idea which way to turn with this.
Thank you all for replying, makes me feel a lot better to be able to talk frankly about it. :)

If you do CD, you might be lucky enough to find a CDC that would visit you. Then you wouldn't have to sit through any meetings. It does seem rather harsh for the Dr to make you come in each week to be weighed, especially whilst following a plan that cannot possibly supply you with the vitamins and nutrients you need.

Have you considered Lipotrim? You don't have to stay for any meetings - you go to a pharmacist, get weighed and that's it. Shouldn't be more than the trip to the Drs. Just a thought anyway...

Thats a very good idea!
if i could find a CDC to come visit that would be very helpful.
Never heard of lipotrim I'll look into it :)
thank you :)

I know there is a pharmacist in Shoreham that does it - there is parking outside as well.

Cambridge Diet find a counsellor

This is a list of counsellors in Sussex. Good luck, but I really think you need to reconsider the home-made 500 calories - it is totally dangerous in my opinion.

Another option might be getting food packs such as diet chef or go lighter (theres a big ad for DC at the top of the page - lol).

I have a great cdc in brighton, I'm not sure if she does home visits, but if you like I can ask for you.

Oooo... and everyone right, ignore those scales!

Sending best wishes and thoughts to you.

If there's any way you can do Cambridge or similar, you really should as doing that as 500 cals a day any other way is potentially dangerous as you won't be getting the nutrients you need. Also, most of the very low calorie diets like CD or LL are low-carbohydrate as well, which will stop you feeling hungry on such a small number of calories.

Good luck x

Back