Here goes Again

I am once again going to try and shed the weight and become healthier and happier!

Everyone here is an inspiration and tries so hard they put me to shame, I don't deserve to have lost any weight yet because I haven't really even tried!! I reward myself with food (cheese, crisps, pizza, may, takeaways, fry-up's, you name it!) and drink (wine wine, cider and more wine) so its no wonder I am now in the region of 21 stone, will officially take my start weight on tomorrow.

I was going to put off starting again until after the bank holiday weekend as I am going away with my boyfriend but its just another excuse so I am starting today, and I am looking for a realistic loss of 1-2 pounds a week, I dont care how long it takes as long as the scales keep going down!

I am doing this alone, and hopefully with a bit of encouragement and support from here...I have been thinking about losing weight for nearly ten years so I feel confident I know what I should be eating more of and less of, now I just need to put it into practice. I also want to start moving a lot more as since I changed jobs my activity levels are zero so I want to put a 45 minute walk into each day to start, as my fitness levels are so poor I wont manage much more. I have bought a bike but find going any real distance on it tough as I am so unfit!! So if I can manage 20 minutes on that three times a week too it will be a great start.

Ive never been anything but overweight/obese - Id love to be a normal weight and feel healthier. Thanks for listening, I will be totally honest here...Wish me luck!

Just a bit more information, never mind me waffling on it helps to write it down :)
I am going to use my fitness pal to log my calories and aim for 1500 a day for now, less when i lose some weight.

I will also record my food diary here as I love reading others, dont know if thats just the foodie in me though :)

Tonight shouldnt be too bad as my boyfriend is coming over - not only has he boosted my confidence as he loves me for who I am and finds me attractive - but I also am too embaressed/dont feel the need to continue the habit of snacking and binging the night away when he's there! We have a nice dinner and a drink or 2 but thats it, no snacks which is totally different to when im home alone in front of the tv...but you'll see what I mean Im sure when I tell you thats my downfall!!

Hello! Just wanted to wish you all the best. :) Your start weight is simillar to mine, I was 21.5 stone. I started on more like 1,800 calories - you may want to think about upping yours a bit, as you should still lose well at a higher level when you have a lot to lose. Have you calculated your BMR? Certainly one school of thought says you shouldn't eat less than your BMR, and I've more or less adhered to that. Good luck! :) xx

Last edited:
Just a bit more information, never mind me waffling on it helps to write it down :)
I am going to use my fitness pal to log my calories and aim for 1500 a day for now, less when i lose some weight.

I will also record my food diary here as I love reading others, dont know if thats just the foodie in me though :)

Tonight shouldnt be too bad as my boyfriend is coming over - not only has he boosted my confidence as he loves me for who I am and finds me attractive - but I also am too embaressed/dont feel the need to continue the habit of snacking and binging the night away when he's there! We have a nice dinner and a drink or 2 but thats it, no snacks which is totally different to when im home alone in front of the tv...but you'll see what I mean Im sure when I tell you thats my downfall!!

Also have realised that as ever I have quite a lot of unhealthy food in the house, and not only can I not afford to throw it away, but I need to learn balance and moderation so I'm going to keep it and try and incorporate it into my new balanced and healthier diet, either that or I will eat it all in one go tomorrow and then it's gone ;-)

So today I have had:

Breakfast: a probiotic fat free yoghurt
4 slices from a small loaf on white warbutons loaf with butter and an egg cooked in fry light with brown sauce

Lunch: 2 packets of ready salted crisps and a lemon cupcake

Dinner: sausage and mash with steamed veg (not l/f sausage YET) and 2 glasses of wine no doubt

Sadly this is a good day for me!!! But then we all know we didn't get big from eating endless salads and water!!

As I say this weekend is going to be tough as my boyfriend and I are going away Friday to Monday so I know I'll indulge but I refuse to just write it off completely and at least I can TRY and make some better choices here and there :-( will weigh myself in the morning, and then weekly on a Saturday I suspect.

Feels good just writing this!!! :)

Hi Tracy, great to hear from you and thanks for the advice! How do I calculate the bmr then?? How are you finding your journey so far? :)

hellsbells1 said:
Hi Tracy, great to hear from you and thanks for the advice! How do I calculate the bmr then?? How are you finding your journey so far? :)

Hi hon. If you Google BMR there are lots of calculators available. There are also various threads on the calorie counting forum that may help.

I'm finding it good, thanks. I've lost 8.5 stone so far, I just keep plodding along, lol. :) xx

Thanks for the BMR info. :)

Wow that is incredible! What an inspiration, well done!! Do you post a food diary on here or anything? I'd love to take a look!! I know there is no magic answer, that's why I'm going for a slow and steady Approach as I know as soon as I think I'm not allowed something I will make an excuse...do you find it easier now than when you started? So many questions!! Sorry!! :)

Judging by my bmr I could eat between 1500 and 2000 and still expect small losses - 2000 is 500 less than maintaining amount. So I think your right I will aim for a mix of days between 1500 and 1800 depending on what I eat that day. In theory . All sounds so easy lol but of course I can eat that alone in late night snacking at the moment :-(

hellsbells1 said:
Thanks for the BMR info. :)

Wow that is incredible! What an inspiration, well done!! Do you post a food diary on here or anything? I'd love to take a look!! I know there is no magic answer, that's why I'm going for a slow and steady Approach as I know as soon as I think I'm not allowed something I will make an excuse...do you find it easier now than when you started? So many questions!! Sorry!! :)

Oh thank you! :) I don't have a food diary on here, I use My Fitness Pal, like most calorie counters seem to!

Slow and steady is definitely best. You have more chance of keeping it off that way, and you're less likely to get a lot of loose skin. My advice would be not to try to change everything at once - introduce change gradually. I started off, as I said, on around 1,800 calories, and I ate things like low fat crisps, biscuits etc. Pretty much anything as long as it was within my cals. Then I gradually started to replace crisps with nuts, and biscuits with fruit, started eating more veg etc. My diet is far from perfect, I eat mostly ready meals still, but it's better than it was and I'm about 7 sizes smaller, lol. I also have days off plan now, where I eat the naughty things I love, but again I was careful not to introduce off plan days too soon, as you have to be set enough on your path to be able to get straight back on it!

It is easier now, pretty much second nature after 20 months. :) xx

hi hellbells and welcome you are in the right place take your shoes off and join in the fun you will get loads of help and cuddles here from everyone good luck on you weight loss journey xxxx

Thanks everyone for the kind welcomes :)

So last night was as predicted, no snacking!! How is it when I sit and watch tv with my boyfriend I don't really think About food much but when it's just me I snack snack snack, I think it's just a bad habit I've gotten into, coming home from work, doing housework/chores then settling down with my favourite tv show, bottle of wine and crisps etc!! It's better now at least 3 nights a week I am otherwise occupied but the other 4 are going to be the challenge to break the habit! Even if I have plans and get home late, I am a total night owl so I would still fit in some snacking before bed :-(

Anyway! Off to Bath for the weekend this afternoon until Monday morning, I am hoping I can pop to boots and get weighed this morning, if not it will be Tuesday which may be for the best as a start weight as I know this weekend will be meals out and harder to control intake/cooking methods etc.

Have a great weekend everyone,, I will update with my food diary and start weight as soon as possible :)

hellsbells1 said:
Thanks everyone for the kind welcomes :)

So last night was as predicted, no snacking!! How is it when I sit and watch tv with my boyfriend I don't really think About food much but when it's just me I snack snack snack, I think it's just a bad habit I've gotten into, coming home from work, doing housework/chores then settling down with my favourite tv show, bottle of wine and crisps etc!! It's better now at least 3 nights a week I am otherwise occupied but the other 4 are going to be the challenge to break the habit! Even if I have plans and get home late, I am a total night owl so I would still fit in some snacking before bed :-(

Anyway! Off to Bath for the weekend this afternoon until Monday morning, I am hoping I can pop to boots and get weighed this morning, if not it will be Tuesday which may be for the best as a start weight as I know this weekend will be meals out and harder to control intake/cooking methods etc.

Have a great weekend everyone,, I will update with my food diary and start weight as soon as possible :)

What I do to avoid evening snacking is I don't eat my main meal until 9.30pm. That way, I just get through the evening fine with a bit of fruit and a cereal bar, because I know I've still got the bulk of my day's calories to come. That works really well for me. :) xx

Well I managed to weigh in and I am starting at a weight of 21 stone 12lbs. That means after years of hovering around the 20 mark I have managed to put on nearly 2 stone in 6 months! Wow! I know exactly how so I am not shocked, I'm much less active since I changed jobs, I drink a lot more wine and cider and have had lots of meals out with the new boyfriend, I am gutted its nearly a stone heavier than I thought, but just shows how much my eating/drinking has gotten out of control. So I said 1-2 lbs a week, I guess my week one goal is to get 21 10lbs!

hellbells
have a great bank holiday weekend and heres to the new you when boyfriend not with you at night when you want to snack try to read are take a hobbies like sewing or knitting something you can do with your hands and put a pic of you know on cupboards and fridge so least you will think twice before you have them xx

What I do to avoid evening snacking is I don't eat my main meal until 9.30pm. That way, I just get through the evening fine with a bit of fruit and a cereal bar, because I know I've still got the bulk of my day's calories to come. That works really well for me. :) xx

That sounds lke a good idea Tracy, I normally eat dinner at around 6/7 if im not on a wierd shift at work, so pushing this back to 9.30 could be great as by the time ive eaten that it will be a while and getting too late to snack again!! I will give this a go from Tuesday! :D

hellbells
have a great bank holiday weekend and heres to the new you when boyfriend not with you at night when you want to snack try to read are take a hobbies like sewing or knitting something you can do with your hands and put a pic of you know on cupboards and fridge so least you will think twice before you have them xx

Thanks, I know its defintely just habit and something to do with my hands, rarely hunger!! I will type away on here, that will keep them busy :)

You have a great bank holiday too and thanks for being so kind! I think its really going to help being around people in the same/have been in the same situation as me. Your all a great kick up the bum for me to really try! I cant believe Ive never really tried to lose weight before!! Once when I was about 19, I lost about a stone. Im 31 now! :-(

hi hellbells
wot a lovely pic
i think we learn to live with the way we are then something just clicks in our heads to diet and thats it no turning back
im working bank holday but i do not mind will keep my head out of the fridge and keep me moving lolololol :D

hellsbells1 said:
That sounds lke a good idea Tracy, I normally eat dinner at around 6/7 if im not on a wierd shift at work, so pushing this back to 9.30 could be great as by the time ive eaten that it will be a while and getting too late to snack again!! I will give this a go from Tuesday! :D

Yes, give it a go! I know there's this whole weight loss myth (one of many!) about not eating late, but all I can say is that I've done it throughout this process and lost plenty of weight. I also don't eat breakfast, don't drink water and don't exercise, so I'm a big proponent of just finding what works for you and sticking with it - there's no one size fits all way of doing it. :) xx

Back