Hey... I'm new, can I be in your gang?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by FlyingJude, 7 January 2009 Social URL.

1. FlyingJude

FlyingJude Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    17st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Hello Folks,

Just wanted to say hiya... I have been 'lurking' on your forum for a couple of days and you have made me feel really motivated about doing the SW diet. WOooOOOooo Hoo.

I did SW through a class years ago and it worked very well for me. Unfortunately with my job I cant commit to a class as am always away with work. So going solo...

Any ideas on how to do the diet from a hotel room?? I have piled on weight as am always eating sandwiches and bread...and cheese... and chocolate.

Jude

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. loobylou

loobylou Reached Target. woohoo

Start Weight:
    14st0lb
    Current Weight:
    9st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    4st10lb(33.67%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Welcome on board Jude, have a look through the recipe threads for some grear meal ideas. xxx

4. 1982shelly82

1982shelly82 Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    slimfast
    have you got the sw starter pack?

5. FlyingJude

FlyingJude Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    17st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    I dont have the starter packs anymore, although I still have a sins food directory and a free branded book.

6. suepat10

suepat10 I am one of the 63336

Start Weight:
    20st3lb
    Current Weight:
    20st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
  7. northernboi

northernboi Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st11lb(23.14%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi Jude

Welcome along!

I think it is useful having the starter packs, just so you can remind yourself of the full rules of the plan. Could you consider going along to a group once, joining and getting the books? You'd also get a proper explanation of the plan. I know you said you've done it before, but I think a recap can be handy. Whilst you were at group, you could also ask about doing the diet whilst travelling around.

Also, you could consider buying the books off eBay if not?

I travel a bit with work, and it is tough when you're in a hotel. Here's some things I've eaten whilst away that have been okay though, if you see them on any menus.

- Baked potatoes

The old favourite, with cheese and beans, cottage cheese, salad. I also sometimes risk having chilli on a baked potato (you're allowed now with Extra Easy and some people do a veggie chilli too). It's hard, cause you don't know what they've put in it, but sometimes it is worth the risk!

- Chicken wrapped in bacon with veg

A version of this often appears somewhere and as long as you avoid loads of cheese with it, it's a handy thing to have as long as it isn't pan fried. Obviously, you can have it with veg that hasn't been smothered in butter.

- Subway

A 6inch subway with no dressing (or light mayo taking into account a few syns) is okay if you don't eat all the brown bread and count it as a HEXb. You can have turkey, ham, chicken, and whatever salad stuff you want basically.

- Meat and veg

If the worst comes the worst and you need a filling meal and are finding it tough, you can usually get most hotels/kitchens/restaurants to do a piece of meat with some veg. It's not the most exciting thing in the world, but it fits in with red days or mix 2 match.

- Side Orders

When I'm away with work and eating room service, I often end up with a few side orders. Mashed potato (made with no butter and just a little milk please!), green salad, mixed veg (no butter again!), a brown roll etc.

Good luck with it all and I hope things work out okay for you.

Ste
    x

SpaceAngel likes this.
  8. princessria

princessria is a pirate arrrgggghhhh

Start Weight:
    14st8lb
    Current Weight:
    14st3.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4.5lb(2.21%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    HI jUDE,

I DO THE HOTEL THING ALOT TRY THE LOW FAT SUPER NOODLE POTS YOU JUST NEED BOILING WATER xxxxx oh and smash is the same just make sure you pack a bowl . good luck !!!

9. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    Hi! I don't envy you having to be in hotels, it must make it very hard. Do they have carveries? They are good for a red day.

10. Mrs V

Mrs V Loves Life!

Start Weight:
    21st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    9st2lb(42.52%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Im afraid that I cant help with the hotel advice, but I just wanted to say Welcome to the SW forum!

Kerry-Ann

11. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel I ate my willpower!

Start Weight:
    21st6.0lb
    Current Weight:
    21st6.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    :welcome2: to the forum. NorthernBoi has given you some excellent ideas there! Good luck :flowers:

12. FlyingJude

FlyingJude Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    17st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Thank you all for the warm welcome and excellent tips! Sounds like there are a lot of new bits and bobs that I dont know about yet. I think I might go to a class a couple of times, I did actually love going to my class years ago.

Nothernboi thanks for the ideas, I didnt even think about Subway. (I love it) To be honest though, I think to keep costs down I will go more towards things I can have with boiling water. Eating out and room service is an extremely expensive way to feed yourself when you do it up to 4 nights a week.

Last edited: 8 January 2009
  13. northernboi

northernboi Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st11lb(23.14%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Ah yeah. I wasn't sure, if you were in hotels, whether or not you had a work expense account: in which case it would be okay!

There are other suggestions on this board re things with boiling water, but check out Mug Shots too. Most of them are free and they're quite filling. There's the time honoured favourite Muller Lights which are free and easy to carry around and keep in your hotel room for a snack.

I once had a mate who was on a diet doing the same job as me and she bought one of those plug in hobs and carried it around in her suitcase! (like here: Buy Russell Hobbs Mini Hob with Twin Rings. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .) Seems a bit dramatic to me, but I guess it's quite small and that way you could have pasta and pasta and sauces, or even cook yourself a three course meal!

Heh I'm guessing that's not the best option but hope you find things that work for you. It can be hard going when you're hotels, I think, because you're often bored if you're doing it often and there's nothing on the telly. So I feel your pain. But, go for a walk, have a bath, take a book (or the SW mag!) and I'm sure you'll be loosing the lbs in no time.

Good luck,
    Ste
    x

14. LittleBottle

LittleBottle Where's Skinny Minnie?

Start Weight:
    12st11lb
    Current Weight:
    12st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.68%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Sammys CousCous Snack variety are good for doing in a mug with boiling water and if you're packing a bowl the Ainsley Harriott ones are great as you just pour boiling water over them, leave them for 5 then fluff up.
    I love subway too and have the salad rather than the sandwich, they're huge and work a treat if you're out and about.

15. FlyingJude

FlyingJude Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    17st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    That made me laugh.... the mini hob thing is hilarious! Dedication or what?

I do love Muller lights, but as I'm going through airports a lot I can only carry restricted amounts of liquids - which is a HUGE problem for me. I used to have yoghurt all the time before the rules changed for security. :sigh:

16. FlyingJude

FlyingJude Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    17st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Thanks for that. I never realised subway did salads... once I smell the warm bread It'd take HUGE efforts for me not to have a roll.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.