Hey new to this.....

Hello everyone im Sarah, I started on xenical around 3-4 weeks ago and have only just found this forum tonight but so happy I have. Its comforting to know that you are never alone I guess?!

I have had a wierd past month and according to my wii scales I have lost 8lb but I am afraid to go to the doctors for my monthly first weigh as i have not yet reached the 11lb target (10%) and wouldnt be able to get a repeat prescription. I still feel fat though and actually thought id gained rather than lost :s why would this be?

My start weight last month was 15 stone and I am 5ft 7. I have started to use slim fast shakes today in conjunction with the magic blue pill so hopefully i'll shed a few more pounds and go to the doctors confident i will be allowed to continue!

Look forward to speaking to you all!

xx

Hi welcome :) the doc targets are 5% in 3 mths and 10% in 6 mths of start weight! So you don't need to have lost 10% of your body weight in 1st mth! So don't be scared :)

My docs little medical book tells her what my targets were!

How to get Xenical on the NHS
Eligibility: patients must be of BMI 30 or BMI of 28 with weight related health problems such as diabetes, high cholesterol and hypertension.
You also need to have shown commitment to losing weight, so tell your doctor about any changes you have made to your diet or exercise regime and how this has helped you.

Prescription rules your GP has to follow
Like all healthcare offered on the NHS it can be a real postcode lottery, however general guidelines for prescribing Xenical are:
Record initial weight and target weight following 12 weeks of prescription. Patients must lose 5% of their initial body weight within this period.
Patients should weigh-in every 2 weeks for the first 12 weeks, to make sure they lose between 1lb to 2lbs (0.5kg to 1kg) per week.
After 12 weeks, continue to weigh patient each month.
No repeat prescriptions to be issued and no more than one month's supply should be prescribed at any one time.
At 12 weeks check weight is less than 5% of initial weight and discontinue if not.
At 12 weeks set a 6 month weight loss target of 10% of initial weight.
Discontinue after 6 months if weight loss goal not reached.
Discontinue after 6 months if any weight gained.
Discontinue if the patient decides to interrupt treatment

Hi & welcome! I'd say 8lbs is good in your first month. My doc said the same 5% in 3 months. 10% in a month is not realistic or a healthy weight loss & way beyond anything they should expect. Xx

Haha I love that!

My gp prescribes me 2months at once - as she said its cheaper that way!

She also gave me a repeat prescription bc she's on mat leave so I put in for that without weighing in and was given another 2 months and another repeat! (I'd like to add it wouldn't have been an issue for me to wi bc I would have lost but still )

Also my gp also explained I will have months where I will maintain or even gain weight and that's normal bc life gets in the way and the point is not to dwell! I had a month where I did maintain and I still got my prescription! Xx

Thanks very much for the advice folks! I was on xenical last year and lost 2 stone, stopped it and it all creeped back on. So this time I am gonna work my ass off!

My start weight I should have added was 15stone.....4 maybe 5 weeks later I have just weighed myself on the wii and apparantly I am 14st 5lb

Wish it was more, but Im happy with that at the moment especially as I was still pigging out quite a bit. Now I have started on the slim fast shakes I hope to do alot better this month.

Finding this forum has really cheered me up.

Thanks to everyone who posts

xx

Back