Hi everyone

Theemand

I'm pretty new to the site and started calorie counting this week, I've got a heck of a lot of weight to lose so it's going to be a long journey!
I'm trying to stick to 1200 calories a day am I right in thinking I shouldn't go below this?
I've just bought a cross trainer as well and trying to do 10 minutes a day on it at least. Thought I was going to need CPR the first time!
Any help or advice very welcome I've been reading some of your threads and got a few tips

If you really have got a lot of weight to lose, I wouldn't start anywhere near as low as 1200 calories, as that gives you nowhere to go when your weight loss slows down or stops. I had around 10 stone to lose and started on 1800, now down to around 1500-1600. I've lost between 4 and 5 stone so far (don't weigh myself, leave that up to the doctor!).

I would recommend using My Fitness Pal, either on a PC or as an app. See what calories it gives you for your height and weight, but take it with a pinch of salt as it tends to say too few!

Good luck! x

I've got MFP had it for a while now. When I originally put it in it said 1680 a day I think which is losing 2lbs a week and will take bloody ages lol. I've got around 10 stone to lose as well, think I might have to up my calories a bit then =\

Yes, I would increase them. MFP said less for me too, but from 30 years of calorie counting I knew what I'd lose weight on. The tricky part, obviously, is keeping it off! I'm 50 this year and want to make this the last time!! x

Is that like those alli tablets? Last time I went to the drs they just referred me to the dietician, I'm not daft I know what and how much to eat its just putting it into practice. I do have alli tablets at home but haven't used them yet, I've upped my calories in MFP to 1600 as well
To be fair I used to drink quite a few of my calories (I'm partial to a glass of white wine lol)

Hi, I'm new to this site and CC too. Just thought I'd say hi and good luck. Keep us all posted!! :D

Thank you! I'm just a little confused as to what I should actually be doing now though lol. Well no more confused than any other time to be fair =) good luck to you too x

I been doin cc a week now ok a blip cuz easter lol

I found everywherr says i should have 1200 a day to lose. I need to lose 43lb to get to healthy bmi. I add an extra 500 cuz of breastfeeding. Hope thats right?

calorie counting journey!! start:: 14s 8lb current:: 14s 7lb.... 43lbs to go!!

I think traceys idea is a good one :)
Healthy losses is about 2lbs a week, although I've heard people who have more to lose can sometimes lose a bit more than that healthily, It will take a long time to lose that weight, but once it's gone it'll be worth it! Good luck!

Theemand said:
Congrats on the weight loss by the way I'm hoping I can say that at some point x

Thanks! I'm sure you'll be able to say the same very soon. I've consciously taken it steadily, hoping to make a permanent attitude change and therefore keep it off - slow and steady wins the race, as they say!

Yes, Orlistat is the prescription version of Alli. With a large amount to lose, the doctor ought to prescribe it, as mine did for me. It's not a magic solution, but it does help your weight loss as it stops the body absorbing some of the fat you eat. It also helps keep you on the straight and narrow as you get some unpleasant gastric effects if you eat high fat food! I can recommend it. If you look on the Xenical thread on this site, you'll see what others think of it too. x

Theemand, another thing is that if you plan to exercise, you'll lose weight faster than me as well, as I don't exercise at all - I have chronic fatigue syndrome and arthritis, so just going to work full time is a struggle, lol. x

Thanks ladies! I'm going for 1600 a day now and see how I get on I shall keep you posted!

Thanks for your advice Tracey I didn't want to rely on the alli tablets to help me lose weight and then get stuck if I tried to stop taking them (I'm not even sure if it would work like that) I might start tomorrow as I've been on a Low fat/calorie diet these past few days so hopefully won't have any nasty side effects. I've got a little boy to run around after all day so he deserves someone who can keep up with him!
You've done even better then if you haven't been able to exercise and you've still lost weight! I take my hat off to you x

Hi, I'm new to CC too :D Good luck and keep us updated!
s.x

I had a cheeky weigh in this morning, should have waited until Sunday but couldn't resist and wish I hadn't bothered. I've stayed the blumming same! I'm hoping I've gained muscle from using the cross trainer and that's why :eek:(
I shan't be doing a cheeky weigh in anymore but I have to say I normally give up at this point and reach for the wine and Chinese but I'm NOT doing that this time or I'll be this size forever. Keep trying and fingers crossed the next weigh in reveals a loss x

There's plenty of time for a loss to show by Sunday - don't worry! Tyr to drink lots of water between now and then too :) I'm trying to avoid cheeky weigh ins too as it is demoralising. im going to go for every 2 weeks rather than weekly, after next wednesday's weigh in.
sX

Theemand said:
Thanks ladies! I'm going for 1600 a day now and see how I get on I shall keep you posted!

Thanks for your advice Tracey I didn't want to rely on the alli tablets to help me lose weight and then get stuck if I tried to stop taking them (I'm not even sure if it would work like that) I might start tomorrow as I've been on a Low fat/calorie diet these past few days so hopefully won't have any nasty side effects. I've got a little boy to run around after all day so he deserves someone who can keep up with him!
You've done even better then if you haven't been able to exercise and you've still lost weight! I take my hat off to you x

Thanks! I think you'll be better on 1,600 than 1,200, gives you some room to manoever, and you'll be more likely to stick to it long term. Please do keep us posted! x

Theemand said:
I had a cheeky weigh in this morning, should have waited until Sunday but couldn't resist and wish I hadn't bothered. I've stayed the blumming same! I'm hoping I've gained muscle from using the cross trainer and that's why :eek:(
I shan't be doing a cheeky weigh in anymore but I have to say I normally give up at this point and reach for the wine and Chinese but I'm NOT doing that this time or I'll be this size forever. Keep trying and fingers crossed the next weigh in reveals a loss x

Stay off those scales, lol. I haven't been weighed for two months, but as I had to move the button on my work trousers last night because they were falling down, I know something's happening! You can get too hung up on the numbers sometimes. x

soooom said:
There's plenty of time for a loss to show by Sunday - don't worry! Tyr to drink lots of water between now and then too :) I'm trying to avoid cheeky weigh ins too as it is demoralising. im going to go for every 2 weeks rather than weekly, after next wednesday's weigh in.
sX

I'm drinking 2 litres a day which is 4 pints I believe? Hope that's enough my bladder is in overdrive at that lol! I think I might do a weigh in once a fortnight as well otherwise I'll send myself daft! Will get weighed this Sunday and go from there I think x

Back