Hi Guys!

Aaron64

Hi guys, my name is Aaron. I have been looking at these forums for quite a while, and I am amazed and inspired with the progress that so many have made! I have decided to shift the weight once and for all!

I will be calorie counting, but I'm a little confused regarding the formula used to calculate how many calories you need to eat a day?

I worked out my BMI which is 28.7
My BMR is 2052.3.

As of Monday I will be exercising every day via the use of a treadmill which I have at home, I plan to do at least 30-40 mins each morning before I leave for uni. So on this basis, using the Harris-Benedict equation, I would be moderately active, therefore x my BMR by 1.55.

This is where Im confused? 2052 x 1.55 = 3180 :confused:

I dont eat this many calories a day for sure, probably more around the 2200 mark, but I dont see any weight loss based on the fact of deducting 500 calories for a 1lb per week weight loss..

I plan to eat 1700 calories a day, is this too little? Maybe im just stupid and cant work the forumula out correct :D

How many calories do you guys eat?

Thanks again guys :D

Hey. I didn't use the formula so not sure. I joined the site My fitness pal. You enter your details in there and it works out how many calories you should be on for you :)

Heya :) Yeah I use myfitness pal also, but it says my Net Calorie Goal is 1910, does this include eating back calories from exercise?

Yeah. Actually i dunno. Mines on sedentary. And i log all my exercise in and then it tells me the extra cals i can eat. I suppose if you've put in.active cos youre taking into account your workouts already, then you don't eat extra exercise cals cos its taking account of already.

Hopefully someone else can tell you if im wrong or not lol

I think thats the case too, because Ive used it before and when I add in cardio activity etc, it says I have "x" amount of calories more on top of what my net goal is? I dont plan on eating them back anyway, hope someone else could clarify it, but thanks :)

That 1910 will be what you should be at for your net calories, so after you've taken off your exercise calories. So yeah, basically that's with eating them back, whether you choose to do that or not is up to you. I try and eat some back with extra protein but I don't fuss about it too much really. If I'm hungry, I'll eat them but I don't worry too much if I'm not.

I'm not sure that doing 30-40 minutes of exercise a day makes you moderately active in terms of the H-B equation, that's more in your everyday life, so say if you were a nurse or something and you're constantly on your feet, walking around for 12 hour shifts, then you'd be moderately active. To be more accurate I'd do what Bostik said, set your lifestyle to what it should be minus the exercise, if you're at uni I'm going to guess that'll probably be sedentary or lightly active and then log the exercise individually.

To explain MFP though, your net calories is after exercise. A bit like your net wage is after tax. So that number in green, that goes up if you've done exercise and down as you eat. Whatever that is at the end of the day, that was your net calories for the day (calories eaten - calories burned from exercise). So that black number, the 1910, is your daily allowance and then they let you earn more through exercise, if you want to eat those calories back anyway.

Hope that all makes sense :)

That 1910 will be what you should be at for your net calories, so after you've taken off your exercise calories. So yeah, basically that's with eating them back, whether you choose to do that or not is up to you. I try and eat some back with extra protein but I don't fuss about it too much really. If I'm hungry, I'll eat them but I don't worry too much if I'm not.

I'm not sure that doing 30-40 minutes of exercise a day makes you moderately active in terms of the H-B equation, that's more in your everyday life, so say if you were a nurse or something and you're constantly on your feet, walking around for 12 hour shifts, then you'd be moderately active. To be more accurate I'd do what Bostik said, set your lifestyle to what it should be minus the exercise, if you're at uni I'm going to guess that'll probably be sedentary or lightly active and then log the exercise individually.

To explain MFP though, your net calories is after exercise. A bit like your net wage is after tax. So that number in green, that goes up if you've done exercise and down as you eat. Whatever that is at the end of the day, that was your net calories for the day (calories eaten - calories burned from exercise). So that black number, the 1910, is your daily allowance and then they let you earn more through exercise, if you want to eat those calories back anyway.

Hope that all makes sense :)

Yup :) Thanks for clarifying it, now it seems so simple lol :cool:

No problem, there's lots of great people on here so if ever you have any questions or even just need a kick up the bum, this is the place to be! lol

Back