Hills v Royal Canin kitten food

joannef

Wow. Didn't know there was also a pet board on this forum!

I recently got a BSH kitten and am getting a second BSH kitten in a few weeks time.

I had a cat since I was about 19 (I'm 30 now) which I fed on Hills for as long as I can remember as he wouldn't eat cheaper tinned food, he would only lick the gravy off! On Hills he looked really well, not fat, but he looked healthy and had a lovely shiny ginger coat.

I was going to feed my kittens Hills but the person I got my kitten from said it wasn't recommended at all and that Royal Canin is far better.

So basically I am wondering what other people's views are on Hills versus Royal Canin. On the plus side, Hills is very convenient as it is sold in Pets At Home and has quite a few flavours and is often on buy 2 get 1 free offer. I actually think Hills is very good value for money. The Pets At Home near me also sells Royal Canin but only seems to be one flavour.

Sorry for the long post but any views would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Ello!!!

I just got my first kitten ever, well a few months ago!... she was born May 1st... She has had all vaccinations etc and every time I have taken her to the vet he has reccomended Hills... so that's what she has... she seems well on it, and on an odd occassion we give her the wet sachets of it, but the majority of the time we stick to the dry balls... I think its 3for2 at PAH at the moment... 12.99 for a big bag.

Thanks. I bought a little trial bag to see if she would eat it and she seems to love it!

The Royal Canin that she has is also dry food but PAH only had one bag(!) when I went there and although it sounds selfish, I don't want to have hassle getting a bag when I need one. I never had a problem getting hold of Hills when my old cat was on Hills and I think it's really good value for money. I think a lot of people get put off it as they think a bag is expensive but when they have 3 for 2 offers the bags last quite a few months.

Back