Hiya,im new....thinking of changing from WW to SW, help please :)

*camogirl*

hiya.....have just found this site and think its great :) so much info....

basically im an old hand at WW but finding the constant weighing, counting etc real chore and basically have completely fallen out of love with it all...so am contemplating trying SW again (tried many, many moons ago and didn't lose an ounce, actually left after 7 weeks 0.5lb heavier:confused:)

has anyone here switched form WW to SW and found the change over relatively easy, im apnicking a bit about the "new" info i'll ahve to learn with regards to "syns" etc.....also is it quite easy (and allowed) to have completely syn free days and save your syns for the weekend, to have a wine or two...ok maybe 3 or 4 ;)

thanks very much xxx

Hi there!

I am exactly the same as you and have decided to take the plunge and have joined a sw group this evening so will keep you posted how I get on. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

hi, there i changed from ww to sw quite a while ago the first and second time i changed over i wasn't ready for it as i only stuck with it for a couple of weeks at a time i rejoined in january this year and something just clicked into place and i'm already the lightest i've been in many years sorry for the ramble i think what i'm trying to say is you'll do well if your head is in the right place thinking positive and got a motive i.e photo of a summer dress on the fridge you'd just love to buy. x good luck if you do choose sw its a fab life plan.

Hello!

Iv tried ww at home but started sw properly by joining a group 2 weeks ago.

Firstly it is easy to get your head around and you won't have any problem with that, you jst might be tied to your food directory for a couple of weeks while you learn syn values instead of points!

I think it is easier on a daily basis than ww, (there is a great post on here under the welcomes bit for newcomers by squiddle who explains the basics far better than I could!) but basically once you know what you get for free there's hardly any weighing or measuring, then you just eat 5-15syns of whatever you want as well.

I think the benefits are that it's no gagging about, you don't have to 'save points' to have a nice dinner etc as there is always something you can eat from your free foods.

I would say the disadvantage is you aren't supposed to save your syns - you can have a couple of glasses of wine on your syn allowance for example, but if you wanted a bottle you'd just go over your syns. You can have flexible syn days though so you're not breaking the plan if you choose to just have a day where you go over (as long as it's not daily! :) ) and you just carry on as normal the next day.

I probably havent explained this that well but I hope it helps a bit. I think it's great and much more sustainable than ww. But that's just my opinion!

Maybe you could try the 7 day plan on the website or something and see if you like the food and find it easy to follow? x x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi there, I used to do ww and lost 7 pounds in a fortnight but became obsessed with food and would spend my points on junk. I always avoided slimming world as I thought I wouldn't lose weight. I only lost 1 pound in week 1 on sw but switched to red days and have lost 2 pounds a week when I have stuck to plan all week and 1 pound when I've only stuck to plan on some days.
My advice would be not to be disheartened if you don't lose in week one or only lose a small amount, I have seen loads of people profiles on this forum who lost big in week 2 on slimming world. Also try all three sw plans to find the best mix for you. Some people lose better on some plans. For me I lose on red but struggle on the other two. I have been really bad lately as well with not sticking to plan and maintained last week which was a pleasant suprise. On ww when I had bad days I would gain the weight back quickly.
Good luck with whatever you chose!!

I joined Slimming World on-line after struggling with new ww diet. I'm so glad I did. I love it. I'm following EE. No weighing foods, lots of variety in diet and I'm never hungry. My weightloss is slowbut at least I am losing and I feel so much better. I love this forum as well. I would recommend SW.

I'm also an old hand at WW, and a gold member, but could not get back there, partiuclarly with the complicated new plan, so switched to SW three weeks ago, so far I have only lost 1.5lbs, but that is far more than had been losing previously.

I've just joined SW and been following the plan for about 5 days, I've been on WW for years and years and the new plan I find just doesn't suit me, the 49 weekly points when I have them it encourages me to go mad and go off plan for longer so I decided to try SW. I'm following EE and so far the positives are that I'm not so food obsessed and am not so hungry!!! good luck to everyone else who's swapping at the moment.

I signed up for a 3 month online subscription to WW just before christmas......3 days in and I knew it wasn't for me (although I have lost successfully on WW before).....basically I am a foody and I can't be ar$ed with weighing and counting (yawn)...so I decided to join a SW class (which is within walking distance) and give it another go (not very successful with SW in the past...lots of WW hang ups and it just didn't click)...It feels right this time......and I am very happy :D

The difficulty in coming from WW to SW is the mindset......and the realisation that this is a different way of eating.....and you need to get your head around that.

I found looking at the inspirational pics on this board really motivational :D

Good luck

I did ww but felt hungry all the time:( and was always eating the same things!

I love the freedom of SW, the EE is new to me, but so far have found it brilliant, not had to change family meals, only adapt the to be SW friendly!

enjoy:D

You used to be able to save syns. The advice changed recently - I think I read it was to stop people gorging at the weekend then feeling deprived the rest of the week and going off plan.

I still count my syns weekly - I start with 105 and use them til they're gone, I use far more over the weekend than I do in the week. It's working for me, at least for now anyway.

wow thank you all sooo much for your replies...im feeling a tad nervous (meeting at 3.30 lol) im not really expecting much to be honest,as i have this panic i'll over eat and not lose, but i shall be very cautious with portion control and just stick to plan and cross my fingers lol...

i also found with the 49 weekly on WW is that i found it hard to stick within my daily, as i knew i had them, then struggled even more by the end of the week when they'd run out...

can i ask , do you still measure and weigh things like pasta and rice ??? i know you DON'T have to but i think i'd eat far too much otherwise....or do you gradually, instinctively know how much to cook and how much is enough....oh gosh im really panicking now lol...

thanks again...x

I started SW last week after following WW on and off for a few years. With WW I was an online member and never thought I would go to weight loss meetings as I'm quite shy.

I have friends who love SW and their pictures on Facebook of all their delicious meals made me make the change. I couldn't afford £60 for the online membership though so I finally changed my mind and went to a meeting, and I really wish I had done it sooner.

WW did work for me, I got down to my ideal weight but didn't maintain it. Because it had worked and helped me LOSE the weight, I felt like I'd be silly to try anything else, but it was too easy to slip back into old habits and I put all the weight back on, plus more.

Tried to go back to it a few times but I was starving and felt like I was always eating tiny portions. Once I'd ran out of points I would still be hungry, and then would feel incredibly guilty if I had something else, which would then result in me giving up completely as I felt I'd spoilt it all. I also HATED having to cook myself different meals from my partner and kids, it was just such a faff on.

I really wish I had joined SW ages ago. I've got my first WI tonight so not sure if I've actually lost anything LOL, but I'm enjoying cooking all of my meals and giving my children healthier food, rather than stuff out of jars/packets/etc. And I can still have my chocolate fix, I have treat size bars using my syns and never feel guilty.

I've heard so many people say before that SW is more a way of life than a 'diet' and I thought 'Yeah maybe because they don't have a huge appetite like me!' LOL, but I've not once felt like I'm dieting.

I found the plan quite easy to understand, but I'm sticking to Extra Easy for the time being as I find it suits me best. I may try Red & Green days at some point though.

As for syns... I've never gone a day without eating any. I think the least I've ever had is 9 in a day. I average at about 12. I also have a takeaway every Saturday (which no diet is ever gonna change, if I had to give it up I would go crazy LOL!) so with SW I choose from the menu more wisely and just use Flexi Syns.

I hope you find that SW is right for you this time. Good luck :)

just wanted to wish you luck for class, and say go for it:D

wow thank you all sooo much for your replies...im feeling a tad nervous (meeting at 3.30 lol) im not really expecting much to be honest,as i have this panic i'll over eat and not lose, but i shall be very cautious with portion control and just stick to plan and cross my fingers lol...

i also found with the 49 weekly on WW is that i found it hard to stick within my daily, as i knew i had them, then struggled even more by the end of the week when they'd run out...

can i ask , do you still measure and weigh things like pasta and rice ??? i know you DON'T have to but i think i'd eat far too much otherwise....or do you gradually, instinctively know how much to cook and how much is enough....oh gosh im really panicking now lol...

thanks again...x

I don't weigh or measure it on EE. I have a generous portion but not enough to make me so full I can't move :)

I've done weightwatchers twice. Once going to classes about 18 years ago, and online about 7 years ago. Both times I had about 2 stone to lose and got to goal, but then I went back to my old habits and put it on again.

I don't think I could do weightwatchers longterm because I found it too restrictive (though it was just points back then.) I'd use up all my points for the day and then be hungry. And I'd spend most my points on sweets, chocolate or ww ready meals. It wasn't very healthy.

I find slimming world much more balanced. It doesn't feel like a diet and I don't feel deprived so I can imagine keeping it up once I get to my goal weight. I think I've learnt to control my eating whilst doing the plan too.

I much prefer slimming world. It seems more like a lifestyle than a quick fix that isn't maintainable.

thanks ladies, i feel i really could have written those replies myself, feeling quite restricted & being hungry etc....glad i'm not the only one who feels like this, i have lost all of my weight so far with WW (3st) but finding it very much like a chore and i dont think i could follow it forever...constant counting etc for the rest of my life...anyway......

i went to my first meeting and was quite surprised at how "easy" it all is, the feeling of "too good to be true" springs to mind lol....but sitting there listening to how much the members have lost etc was quite inspiring, i also always read the mags etc so it MUST work lol....feeling very positive :)

good luck Cupcake( i think that was your name sorry :eek:) for your first wi, please let me know how you do.......

thanks again to everyone who has replied, i feel much more settle now in my decision to change....

thanks ladies, i feel i really could have written those replies myself, feeling quite restricted & being hungry etc....glad i'm not the only one who feels like this, i have lost all of my weight so far with WW (3st) but finding it very much like a chore and i dont think i could follow it forever...constant counting etc for the rest of my life...anyway......

i went to my first meeting and was quite surprised at how "easy" it all is, the feeling of "too good to be true" springs to mind lol....but sitting there listening to how much the members have lost etc was quite inspiring, i also always read the mags etc so it MUST work lol....feeling very positive :)

good luck Cupcake( i think that was your name sorry :eek:) for your first wi, please let me know how you do.......

thanks again to everyone who has replied, i feel much more settle now in my decision to change....

'Too good to be true' was all I could think from the minute I went to group last week.

Had my first WI last night and have lost 6.5lb so it definitely works!!

Good luck with your weight loss :)

'Too good to be true' was all I could think from the minute I went to group last week.

Had my first WI last night and have lost 6.5lb so it definitely works!!

Good luck with your weight loss :)

Wowser.......thats a MEGA loss......well done, good first losses really keep you motivated, don't they ?!?!?!?!?! maybe you would be so kind as to give me an idea of your "average" day...just so i know i'm going the right way about it..

so far today i've had:

hexa - 350ml skimmed milk

B- 2 boiled eggs, 1 slice of wholemeal (hexb) tsp lf spread (1syn)

L- jacket spud, prawns & salad, prawn sauce made with 2tbsp elf mayo & 1tbsp ketchup(2syns) 2 apples chopped, fat free from frais........

not sure about dinner yet, but does that look ok so far..?? sorry to ask you, but im getting a bit lost on the proper boards for menu's etc lol....so many to look at

am so glad you had a fab wi..... :)))

Back