New to SW - using recipes from other sites

MysticalT

Hi!

After spending months trying to calorie count and falling off the wagon because I'd used all my calories and I'm stubborn ;) a friend has recommended trying slimming world. Every Google search I did brought me to this site so I've registered!

I've found lots of information that I need, except for syns points lists but google helps but what about recipes from other sites? I use bbc good food quite often so how do I work out how many syns a recipe would be? A popular one for me is this one: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1870/winter-minestrone-with-pesto-crotes Do I try and calculate the syns or scrap all my other recipes and just use SW ones?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

If you're not having the croutes and swap the lardons/streaky bacon for chopped bacon medallions, it would be free.

For any recipes, you need to check the ingredients 1 by 1. Sometimes you'll be able to swap something out, like above, other times you may have to just syn something vital. I recommend that if you don't want to go to class, that you pick up a slimming world starter pack online (ebay have them sometimes). That will give you a list of free foods, healthy extras and the basics you need to use the plan correctly :)

If you're not having the croutes and swap the lardons/streaky bacon for chopped bacon medallions, it would be free.

For any recipes, you need to check the ingredients 1 by 1. Sometimes you'll be able to swap something out, like above, other times you may have to just syn something vital. I recommend that if you don't want to go to class, that you pick up a slimming world starter pack online (ebay have them sometimes). That will give you a list of free foods, healthy extras and the basics you need to use the plan correctly :)

Thank you for your reply.

I have found many food lists online already, healthy extras and syns I just wasn't sure about other recipes. I have been looking for a starter pack but the ones I've found have been quite expensive but I will keep looking.

Thanks
again

You could join a group near you, its free membership at the moment with a coupon from Closer Magazine (so you'll just pay £4.95 for the one class or if the offer has expired it would be £9.95 which is still cheaper than a lot of the starter packs on ebay). You might like the class environment or if you don't at least you will have all the books to go it alone at home along with this site. You'll also have the list of free foods so that you can easily adapt any recipe to a SW friendly one.

Definitely get yourself over to Pinch of Nom website as well - there are literally hundreds of SW friendly recipes there. Set up a pinterest account as well, so much helpful information on the plan as well as recipes on there.

Good luck x

I found it easier to just scrap all my recipes (the complicated ones, at least) and find SW versions instead. You can buy the SW recipe books on eBay for a decent price and they have some lovely recipes in them.

There are some good blog sites for recipes too, a couple of my favourites are below:

http://twochubbycubs.com/

http://pinchofnom.com/

Back