Holding My Nose

Oinkstop

Hi all...

I'm a newbie to the forums, and just started the USA version of Cambridge yesterday. I used it back in the 1980's, when I really shouldn't have been dieting at all. My mother claimed I was fat when I weighed all of 118 lbs at 5' 2" tall.

I'm still 5' 2" and probably have 130 lbs to lose. I've tried just about every diet on the planet and none seem to work for very long. I've tried for the past year to take off weight by exercising and counting calories and I've had no success. I managed to lose about 20 lbs initially, but I've only kept off about 7lbs.

Sad, huh?

Anyway, I hope US folks are welcome here. In reading the forum, it seems like many of the members are from the UK.

I'm wondering, how does everyone manage to stick to the diet for very long? So far I've tried the oatmeal, chocolate and strawberry shakes and haven't much liked any of them. I know if I can stick to it, I will lose the weight, but this stuff really doesn't taste very good. It's not terrible, just not good, and I don't know if I'll be able to stick with it long-term.

there ready made up shakes. you can get them in banana,choc or there is newish strawberry. i live on them to be honest! you dont need a blender or anything they even come with a small straw!

I don't think we have those here. There's a similar product, called SlimFast, but it isn't meant to be a complete meal replacement. With that program, you are supposed to have a shake for breakfast and lunch and a sensible dinner. I think their program works out at about 1200 calories, which is definitely not a VLCD like Cambridge.

Welcome... I think I read that the flavours are different in the US. We have a lot of shakes and soups and baras to choose from and most people can find something they like. I wasn't keen at first but learnt to love certain flavours... your tastes do adjust.

The trick with CD is that once your body goes into ketosis, you don't feel hungry and the rapid weight loss is a great motivator. And for me, taking food out of the picture has been wonderful, giving me the space to think about why/how I over-eat and how I can change those patterns in the future. Hope you stick around and find the support you need on the site... CD really does work, so it's worth the leap of faith. Go for it!
xxx

Hi there , the usa one has different falvours , i'm sure with lots of help from this forum you are going to pull out all the stops to make the diet work and feel good !

Hiya

I'm a Brit living in the US. Have been on the US Cambridge for 5 weeks and so far so good. Its great to see someone else on here who is on the US version of CD. So far the only ones I can stomach are the strawberry and the oats.... altho either are great!!

Good luck

Thanks much for the very nice welcome. I'm glad to know there are others here using the US version. As for me, so far I haven't found a flavor I like. I've tried the Super Oats, chocolate and strawberry, and haven't much cared for any of them. I did try one of the nutrition bars yesterday and it wasn't bad, but then I read I'm not supposed to have those when I'm doing the Fast Start program.

I'm still hanging in. Today will be day three.

Oinkstop: Have you tried putting lots of ice in the shakes when you blend them? I have mine brain numbingly cold and they taste a LOT better!!! :)

Welcome to the forum Oinkstop. I can't comment on the US flavours, but I think that the flavours are just something you get used to as a means to an end.

Good luck on your journey and keep posting for support :D

I agree with PartyTime about addidng the ice. I use 6oz of water and about 6 ice cubes plus the 2 scoops of strawberry CD and I put it all in my bullet and whizz it up. Instead of having a very watery shake it makes a much nicer, thicker one. Don't think I could drink them otherwise. The only problem is its so cold here that I really have to make myself drink a frozen smoothy!! Think it would be easier in the warmer weather......

The super oats are pretty revolting but I again add the water and whizz it up in the bullet before putting it in the micro for 1.30 mins. When it comes out I sprinkle with a touch of sweetener and eat.... altho I need a big glass of water to help it on its way!

The chocolate and soups were disgusting and altho I now have some vanilla to try, I've yet to summon the courage to open it !!

Try the shakes with the ice..... might be easier to stomach...... Good luck!!!!

Hello Oinkstop.

I am just starting the cd tom and am worried if i will be able to handle being on the diet so long as i am such a fussy eater.

I am going to try stay motivated by using this forum and luckily it is a a good quick weight loss so that will help keep me on track too if i can see the lbs coming off.

Good luck

Here I am day 5 and I'm hanging in there.

Day 4 ended up being a bit of a waste because I ended up going over to my mother's house and I stayed overnight. I ended up eating "real" food because I didn't want to have to explain why I was on Cambridge. I'd come with good intentions -- brought the mix and my shaker along -- but then decided I just didn't want to tell my mother.

Friday night I didn't have much in the way of dinner. My mother had a late lunch and wasn't hungry. I'd only had two shakes for the day, but I claimed the same, and we snacked on carrots, olives and a few peanuts. For breakfast, she served home-made oatmeal, so I was very careful not to overload it with sugar. For lunch we had chicken strips, green beans and baked potato. I was really stingy with the butter on the potato. It was small anyway (smaller than my fist) so I didn't feel too guilty. Skipped dinner when I got home, just in case.

I thought it would be really hard to get back to shakes again this morning, but it wasn't too bad. Oh, and the best news, I still lost weight. I think I'm down about 6.5lbs from my start date, though I'm not going to update my ticker until my "official" weigh-in next week.

Back