Holibobs

Ali*

Gold Member
When the weather is as nice as it has been lately I think I might like to have a holiday in the UK :) It would certainly cost me less money than my last few holibobs I'm sure!

Have you been anywhere nice lately?

I've got 2 kids (13 & 11). One has always liked to be a little adventurous but has now entered the terrible teens so no camping suggestions please ;) The other would quite gladly stay indoors, at home, for the whole 6 weeks Summer holidays! But when we do go out and about he tags along quite happily :rolleyes:

I'd love to hear your suggestions ... not only of destinations but things to do when your there :)

Answers on a postcard please :D

I would suggest a cottage somewhere like The Lake District, or even Scotland. A good mix of staying in and home comforts combined with all sorts to do in the vicinity. Mainly country pursuits.

Or would you prefer coastal or resort-type places. At least you're fairly central in Staffs for travelling.

Recently got back from John O'Groats myself. As I am also from Staffordshire, I wouldn't really recommend it, as dang, it's far away! But a lovely place to visit non-the-less.

Wales isn't too far away from us I guess. Been to Moelfre before (I think). Some nice beaches, and places like the butterfly farm and the sea zoo!

Just booked a night in Blackpool for the illuminations. Cheesy, but should be a giggle.

I would suggest a cottage somewhere like The Lake District, or even Scotland. A good mix of staying in and home comforts combined with all sorts to do in the vicinity. Mainly country pursuits.

Or would you prefer coastal or resort-type places. At least you're fairly central in Staffs for travelling.

DH and I spent a lovely weekend in Ambleside a couple of years ago - think DD would be a bit bored though :rolleyes:

Recently got back from John O'Groats myself. As I am also from Staffordshire, I wouldn't really recommend it, as dang, it's far away! But a lovely place to visit non-the-less.

Wales isn't too far away from us I guess. Been to Moelfre before (I think). Some nice beaches, and places like the butterfly farm and the sea zoo!

Just booked a night in Blackpool for the illuminations. Cheesy, but should be a giggle.

Scotland is indeed a bit of a trek - not convinced it's the place to go with my 2 ;)

Wales? I should have said - I'm Welsh! Mam has already suggested that our main holiday be at her house next year :eek: Bless her, I absolutely love Pembrokeshire but the 4 of us have to share a bedroom when we are there :eek:

Blackpool sounds like fun - our best man lives there and we always have a great time when we meet up with him!

Quite fancy Dorset/Devon/Cornwall but worry about the weather and occupying the kids :confused:

I'd second Blackpool, there are lots of places around there which you can also visit.

Of all the places you mention, Devon/Cornwall would be my choice. Not sure about the kids though....

Blackpool is cheap, brash, cheesy and seedy.
Kids'll love it:eek:

I recently returned to Blackpool (like most people went there loads as a kid) it was horrendous and changed so much. Or maybe I changed so much?

Anyway, it is what it is, too many stags and hens and lewd behaviour for me. Give me the English Riviera (Torquay, Devon).

Now I think I understand why people who do not book package holidays have "day trips" - best of all worlds then.

NOOOOO not Blackpool! For a night maybe! But not a main holiday!

Cornwall/Devon every time for me too!

Beaches, get them a surfboard and let them have a go!

Go to Newquay and watch the pro's!

Lands end? There hundreds of things to do and places to visit.

Although if you get the weather the beach should do it.

Also If you hire a nice cottage, then if you get rubbish weather you can stay in and make your own entertainment!

Board games, cards, cooking, baking etc!

Back