Homemade Curry Paste

vanilla_cupcake

Silver Member
Has anyone ever made their own curry paste and if so how did you do it?

Making a lentil, sweet potato, butternut squash, carrot & potato curry, I usually just add 2 tbsp of curry powder but I think it would be nicer with a paste! I don't like buying ready made pastes and sauces etc i'd rather make my own. Any that i've googled require oil which i'm not prepared to use syns on so I need a syn freeish type one please!

That's what I ended up doing, I didn't have some of Jamie's spices required so I made it up with my own and it was delicious! :)

I did exactly that last night, I made the korma one but just used water instead of oil, it was deeeelish! :drool: Made a gawjus chicken katsu, will post piccies later :)

ermintrude said:
I did exactly that last night, I made the korma one but just used water instead of oil, it was deeeelish! :drool: Made a gawjus chicken katsu, will post piccies later :)

Never had Korma what does it taste like?

Korma is delicious, but unfortunately wouldnt be very SW friendly! Typically its made from ground almonds & coconut milk, so a creamy quite mild curry. You've got me thinking tho of how I could make it SW friendly.....Im sure someone will help & come up with a recipe!

Well I wasnt actually making a korma, I was just adding it to my katsu :D

I did use flaked almonds and dessicated coconut which added up to 216 calories so 11 syns, but that's for the whole mix. I used less than half the mix in this curry and the meal made 3 servings, so I had less than 3 syns in my portion, theres no reason it has to be hideously bad! :confused:

Im not a fan of creamy curries so didn't add anything like that but you can easily add fat free yoghurt or whatever if you want it creamy.

I just followed the Jamie Oliver korma mix (almost) exactly as listed, replacing the oil with water:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch of ginger
- 2 chillies, deseeded
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp tomato Puree
- 2 tbsp dessicated coconut (20g)
- 2 tbsp flaked Almonds (14g)
- 3 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp coriander seed

Toast and whizz the seeds, then bung it all in the food processor with a splash of water and whizz to a paste. You dont add any yoghurt to the paste, that can go straight into the curry right at the end just before serving.

I hardly ever use ready made curry pastes, theyre full of oil and its so easy to just do it yourself. I dont normally even whizz an actual paste, I just chuck the relevant spices in. It was only cos korma's not my standard fare so I thought Id follow a recipe :)

Back