Honest opinions on SW

livi

Committed Loser
Hey everyone...

I'm starting on Wednesday (after payday) doing the body optimise online. I'd love to get honest opinions on the pros and cons of this...I've done weight watchers before and it really didn't suit me...

My main problems are portion sizes, laziness that leads to convenience foods (mainly takeaways) and a severe habit of evening snacking!

Plus I don't think I'd last without my diet coke...

How do you think I'll be able to cope with these habits or is it a full on change I'll need to manage?

You can eat as much as you want from the free foods
This diet is amazing.
I lost 2 stone on it before i fell pregnant and lost 5.5lbs in my first week back!

Good luck!

Hi Livi, I go to class so it will be slightly different being online though the plan is the same of course.

Don't panic about diet coke, I'm a little ashamed to say it's pretty much all I drink though I am trying to swap some for water just for health reasons. You don't need to come off it for losing weight.:D

Portion sizes, well people including my consultant say the more you eat the more you lose and have to say I've found this to be true. I do wonder if anyone realises just how much I could eat if I tried though...

There are convenience foods you can use, pasta and sauces etc though personally I've started cooking everything from scratch as a whole new life start thing but I know that's not always possible for everyone. There's a thread somewhere about microwave steamer bags and how quick and handy these are making them like a ready meal.

The plan really does work but it can take time for our heads to 'get it'. I think after years of putting on weight it means we have to rethink what tastes good etc but definitely give it a go. It's great eating alot and losing weight!

When first joining I was amazed at how much you could actually eat and still am. There are so many choices you can make and it is a diet that I think you can easily adjust into your every day life (with the allowance of syns).

Hey everyone...

I'm starting on Wednesday (after payday) doing the body optimise online. I'd love to get honest opinions on the pros and cons of this...I've done weight watchers before and it really didn't suit me...

My main problems are portion sizes, laziness that leads to convenience foods (mainly takeaways) and a severe habit of evening snacking!

Plus I don't think I'd last without my diet coke...

How do you think I'll be able to cope with these habits or is it a full on change I'll need to manage?

I've not used the online version, but I love SW!!

You'll be fine with portion sizes, you can eat any free foods (there's a list as long as your arm!!!) until you're satisfied :) Diet coke is free, and for takeaways as long as you make the right choices you'll be ok :)

As long as you make the right choices for evening snacking, you'll be fine there too :)

Good luck!

I think if you're honest with yourself, a lot of those habits need to change for the better.

With regards to portion sizes, I fillmy plate up with veg and have a medium portion of meat and potato. Potato is free but it's also carbohydrates and if you're eating too many and not burning it off it gets stored.

Evening snacking on fruit is fine but remember, we're quite sedentary after pm, which is why they say to try and not eat late in an evening, because it doesn't get burned off. I used to snackin an evening, having chopped up fruit with fat free yoghurt on but now, I don't snackmuch at all on an evening and find, busying myself, takes my mind off it.

Diet coke is free on SW, so you're ok with that one.

You can discover lower syn take aways, such as chinese but to be quite honest, you can make better ones that are virtually syn free anyway. I just say no most of the time to take aways when my friends have them now because a) they're a waste of money and b) they are bad for you in more ways than just fattening - I.E salt etc...

Just comein to SW with an open mind and be willing to change some things, it won't work otherwise!

Thank God on the diet coke thing ;) Lol...happy about that!!!

I do eat a lot so the free foods really do appeal... I'm not one of these fat people who says "I don't know why I'm fat"...I do...it's cos I eat a hell of a lot of food!!!! It'd be stupid to lie about it!!!

I'm willing to put my heart and soul into this. 3 or 4 of my friends have done very well on SW recently and it's inspired me to swap from ww to this (with ww I'd lose one week and gain the next - my own fault mind you) so new start now :)

Thanks for your great advice!! xx

I love SW!
I think if you can just push yourself to plan so that you have foods prepared and don't get tempted to order a takeaway you should be ok.
If you like snacking in the evenings I'd suggest saving syns till then or most of the syns so you can have a bit of a treat but also prepare lots of syn free snacks and you should be fine!
Have you decided which plan you will be doing? Extra easy green or red?

Until I pay for my stuff on Tuesday I'm the first to admit I know very little about any of the plans so i'll hold off deciding til then...what do you recommend?

Ooooh I forgot to mention my coffee with milk and sugar dependency too...how does that fair?

SW is a really good diet, if you follow any of the plans correctly you can't fail to lose weight.

Good to you and your weight loss.

Use your healthy extra a's for milk (350 ml skimmed, 250ml semi)throughout the day and you can have as much tea and coffee as you want with sweetener of course. ;)

I have large portions, I eat as much as my OH, if not more! It's never done me any harm at all. I eat a lot of carbs too, don't be scared of them. They are a free food after all!

It doesn't matter what time of the day or night you eat (IMO). I also snack at night. I have my dinner around 7pm and always have supper - I have ryvita and something, my syns (usually biscuits or choc) or a sandwich. I tend to save a B choice and syns for evening because I like to have supper, not because I'm hungry!

As the others have said, diet coke is fine too.

Sugar is synned, I suggest cutting it out or using sweetener if you can, or using your syns. You also get a milk allowance each day, I always use my milk allowance for coffee.

Good luck!

Definitely investing in some sweetener then. I'm really looking forward to shopping tomorrow night :)

I have large portions, I eat as much as my OH, if not more! It's never done me any harm at all. I eat a lot of carbs too, don't be scared of them. They are a free food after all!

It doesn't matter what time of the day or night you eat (IMO). I also snack at night. I have my dinner around 7pm and always have supper - I have ryvita and something, my syns (usually biscuits or choc) or a sandwich. I tend to save a B choice and syns for evening because I like to have supper, not because I'm hungry!

As the others have said, diet coke is fine too.

Sugar is synned, I suggest cutting it out or using sweetener if you can, or using your syns. You also get a milk allowance each day, I always use my milk allowance for coffee.

Good luck!

Thanks that's really helpful. You sound like you have a lot of similar habits to me so it's good to know it's working for someone like me :)

I am thrilled at how my weight is going! I never thought I could lose weight! I started SW at the end of Sept 2009 and as of last Tuesday had lost 4 stone 8.5 lbs and yes has all been with SW :) I love SW so much as I don't feel deprived at all, yes I have to make choices and not have things I would have had or if I do have things that aren't best choices I have to adapt, use less syns etc other days but I feel so much healthier phsically and also with my relationship with food.
Hope it works as well for you love :)

Back