Horizon convert

Dropping in to say hello to you all. Been converted to the ADF way of living after watching the Horizon program (eventually). My main motivation is to feel as well as I possibly can. I already have a diary in the Paleo section and am sticking to this way of eating about 80% of the time but now mixing it up with ADF. On my third DD today. Think I'm now getting my head (and stomach) around it a bit more.

I'm reasonably happy with my weight but hate, hate, hate my flabby tummy. From what I've read that abdominal fat is a bad health indicator too and I really want to see it go. Thinking about buying new scales that measure body fat levels. I think they would probably give a better idea of body changes. Anybody already got those and are they any good?

Hi greeneyedhippychick,

I'm another Horizon convert *looks all glazed-over and box-eyed* ;), and I recently bought myself one of these fancy-schmanzy scales what measure body fat (and gained an instant 4kg, but that's a moan for another day, *sigh*). I'm told that they are not that accurate, and if I was to do it over again now, I'd probably buy a set of calipers like they use at gyms, off the Ebay. There's a brill article about this on I'm not allowed linking privileges yet, but if you search the site for '5 Ways to Measure Body Fat Percentage', you should be able to find it.

They annoy me, because I was watching that Hairy Bikers weightloss programme the other day, and I pointed out to my partner that he was basically sleeping with (a slightly less hairy, heh) female version of the short one, as, according to my scales, WE HAVE THE SAME FAT PERCENTAGE. :eek: And the scales can drop in fat percentage by like 10%, after a DD, which is encouraging, but I feel also points to a certain inherent in-accuracy. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
body fat scales rely on impedance, they send a pulse through your body that reacts differently to skeletal tissue, fat, muscle etc so that's how it determines what your body is composed of.

The reliance is not great, it depends on a very good connection to your feet (ie scale contacts must be clean, feet must be clean) and other things like the amount of water and food in your body can change what results it gives.

Its not a very accurate way of working out body fat, but then neither is any other way. Callipers don't count the amount of fat inside your abdomen (just on the surface), and other methods have their weaknesses too.

HOWEVER. It is a good measurement to use over time, as it will eventually go down in a trend, if you are losing lbs.

Thanks for the info! I'll squander my money on a new pair of skinny jeans instead :gimi:.

I'm going to try not to take too much notice of the scales and look at my body measurements instead I think. My weight can vary by about 4lbs in a day anyway. Guess mainly to do with how much water I have on board.

I'm on my third DD of the week today and just thought I'd share my menu for today...

ber
Breakfast
Raspberries - Raw, 0.5 cup327g0g1g0mg1mg3g4g
Blueberries - Raw, 0.5 cup4111g0g1g0mg1mg7g2g
Yeo Valley - Organic Natural Yoghurt (Bio Live), 1 container (150 gs ea.)12310g6g7g0mg105mg10g0g
Lunch
Glorious Skinny Soup - New England Butternut Squash 600g, 300 g (1/2 pot)10318g3g2g0mg600mg8g2g
Dinner
Tesco - Fresh Leaf Spinach, 50 g132g0g1g0mg50mg1g2g
Tesco - Juicy Cherry Tomatoes, 5 tomatoes (60g)112g0g0g0mg0mg2g1g
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices82g0g0g0mg1mg1g0g
Celery - Raw, 1 strip (4" long)10g0g0g0mg3mg0g0g
Onions - Raw, 1 tbsp chopped41g0g0g0mg0mg0g0g
Tesco - Large King Prawns, 125 g901g1g20g0mg800mg0g0g
TOTAL:42654g10g32g0mg1,561mg32g11g

greeneyedhippychick said:
Dropping in to say hello to you all. Been converted to the ADF way of living after watching the Horizon program (eventually). My main motivation is to feel as well as I possibly can. I already have a diary in the Paleo section and am sticking to this way of eating about 80% of the time but now mixing it up with ADF. On my third DD today. Think I'm now getting my head (and stomach) around it a bit more.

I'm reasonably happy with my weight but hate, hate, hate my flabby tummy. From what I've read that abdominal fat is a bad health indicator too and I really want to see it go. Thinking about buying new scales that measure body fat levels. I think they would probably give a better idea of body changes. Anybody already got those and are they any good?

Hey welcome chick and good luck xxx what's paleo btw?

Thanks Missie! Paleo is based around eating what our ancestors would have eaten. So no grains, dairy or refined sugars. Usually stick to an 80/20 rule so can eat those things occasionally. I've been a bit more lax recently and do include some grains (rice, quinoa, millet) and dairy at times. Usually I eat pretty much anything on Sundays too!

greeneyedhippychick said:
Thanks Missie! Paleo is based around eating what our ancestors would have eaten. So no grains, dairy or refined sugars. Usually stick to an 80/20 rule so can eat those things occasionally. I've been a bit more lax recently and do include some grains (rice, quinoa, millet) and dairy at times. Usually I eat pretty much anything on Sundays too!

Sound good well can't wait to c how u get on with JUDDD xxx

Sundays are most definitely reserved for eating whatever I want! Bacon and egg muffin and a banana for breakfast and some roast pork with all the trimmings for dinner. Yum yum yum x

Hey there and welcome to JUDDD :D I would def look at measurements too, I went from a small size 12 to a size 10 in a week :) To me its more about inches than the number on the scales, its a bonus. xxx

Got a bit carried away on my UP day I think...

FOODSCaloriesCarbsFatProteinCholestSodiumSugarsFiber
Breakfast
Tesco - Smoked Back Bacon, 2 rashers1200g10g8g0mg600mg0g0g
Eggs - Fried (whole egg), 1 large920g7g6g210mg94mg0g0g
Warburtons - Toasting Muffins, 1 muffin13827g1g6g0mg220mg1g2g
Butter - Salted, 1 pat (1" sq, 1/3" high)360g4g0g11mg29mg0g0g
Banana - Medium Banana, 100 g9521g0g1g0mg1mg0g3g
Lunch
Generic - Feta Cheese , 0.5 container (224 gs ea.)2885g24g16g100mg1,264mg5g0g
Homemade - Basic Salad - Mixed Leaves, Cucumber, Spring Onion, Cucumber Slices, Red Pepper, Celery, 1.5 medium container6815g0g0g0mg0mg0g0g
Oil - Olive, 1 tsp400g5g0g0mg0mg0g0g
Dinner
Generic - Pork Shoulder-Roasted 85 g (3 oz), 170 g3860g21g45g152mg126mg0g0g
Broccoli - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 1 stalk, large (11"-12" long)9820g1g7g0mg115mg4g9g
Tesco - Sweetheart Cabbage, 100 g274g0g2g0mg0mg4g2g
Carrots - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 0.5 cup slices276g0g1g0mg45mg3g2g
Squash - Roasted - Butternut Squash, 0.5 cup cooked4111g0g1g0mg4mg2g3g
Birds Eye - Field Fresh Garden Peas, 80 g687g1g5g0mg0mg5g6g
Gravy - Chicken, Homemade, 1/4 cup403g3g0g5mg260mg1g0g
Tesco - Yorkshire Puddings, 1 pudding467g2g1g0mg100mg1g0g
Snacks
Glico - Mikado Daim*, 6 biscuit6610g2g1g0mg39mg0g0g
Tesco - Tutti Frutti Ice Cream (Limited Edition) 900ml, 200 g43070g13g6g0mg0mg62g3g
Fresh Fruit - Seedless Black Grapes With Skin, 190 g (1 grape)6818g0g1g0mg20mg15g1g
TOTAL:2,174224g94g107g478mg2,917mg103g31g

I know it's early days but I'm feeling full of beans on this diet. Up stupidly early for work, yoga and housework when I get home. Before starting this I was really struggling to even get off the sofa after work. Hope it continues like this.

My last UP day was more controlled. Really don't want to get into the habit of eating sugary rubbish. I'm aiming to eat pretty much what I want on the UP days but keep it nice and healthy. Still eating mainly Primal/ Paleo as it seems to be coming naturally at the moment. I usually feel better physically and mentally when I do. So last couple of DD (Monday and Wednesday) been relatively easy and today is an UP :). Absolutely no idea what I'm eating today but plenty of time to decide. Think I'll stick to the fruit for breakfast as want to get an hour of yoga in before I go to work at lunchtime.

Have a fabulous day lovely ladies x

Happily settled in my new way of eating. 2lb loss this week. Absolutely delighted.

Back