Horse Riding

Ah isn't that just typical missjelly! I've seen some beautiful places to horse ride in Wales. There's some nice places here too, I can't wait til summer to go on some hacks :)

Just came across this thread. I know it hasn't been touched in a while but I'm looking for some advice in terms of gaining back my confidence with riding. I had a nasty accident a few years back, smashed up my ankle, broke my collar bone and suffered trauma to my spine. Until the accident I had been a keen rider and horse owner for about 10 years, and did alot of competing and eventing. I lost my horse in the accident to a broken leg and due to my injuries I couldn't ride for a good 18 months - 2 years, now I'm better starting to plod around on some friends horses, got as far as doing a few strides of canter. I really want to start hacking out over the next few weeks before I go back to Uni, but as my accident happened on a cross country course I'm completely terrified of leaving the psychological 'safety' of the arena. Any advice on how to boost my confidence and get my myself back out there again? I really really want to get back into it properly again :(

I've gone with my sister several times (she's in high school still and goes all the time). They have no problem letting me use their equipment and I've never had to do more than show up in jeans and sneakers.

Magenta45 said:
Just came across this thread. I know it hasn't been touched in a while but I'm looking for some advice in terms of gaining back my confidence with riding. I had a nasty accident a few years back, smashed up my ankle, broke my collar bone and suffered trauma to my spine. Until the accident I had been a keen rider and horse owner for about 10 years, and did alot of competing and eventing. I lost my horse in the accident to a broken leg and due to my injuries I couldn't ride for a good 18 months - 2 years, now I'm better starting to plod around on some friends horses, got as far as doing a few strides of canter. I really want to start hacking out over the next few weeks before I go back to Uni, but as my accident happened on a cross country course I'm completely terrified of leaving the psychological 'safety' of the arena. Any advice on how to boost my confidence and get my myself back out there again? I really really want to get back into it properly again :(

Have you thought of joining a riding club? Both myself and my mum joined a riding club last year. I went through years of pony club, which was fantastic, but decided that riding club was the right way to go. This was mainly due to my mum, aged 50, wanting to learn to jump! She has a severe lack of confidence and the riding club have really helped her out with this and after a year she took part in her first team event representing the club last weekend.
Riding Clubs are full of people of all levels and who have all sorts of experience who will be able to offer you all the support and encouragement that you need.
Good luck!

Or just simply ask a group of sensible friends if they will hack out with you . Friends who will just walk or trot and chat to you as you enjoy your ride.
There is an old saying, * The outside of the horse is good for the inside of the soul* and it is so true.
I am 70 next year and can not remember a time in my life when horses did not figure largely. We still have 2 old ladies here at home. One is 35 years old and the other is 26 years old.
I do hope you regain your confidence. It sounds as if it was a horrific accident but never forget it was just that *an accident* and not the norm.
Good luck. Please come back and let us know how you get on.

Back